You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How useful are notes?

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Was about to play a 4nl and noticed that 3 of the players had notes I had made in the past. One was noted as "all ins - nutter". Now this is a pretty strong read I had in the past and was expecting fireworks but after 8/10 hands he had folded nearly every one and the one he was involved in was checked down. Which was the real player and how representative are (perhaps) the 20 or so hands I saw him raising and acting like a nutter. No answers expected but does anyone else find that a firm conviction is turned on its head with subsequent actions?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    A good idea is to put a date at the end of the note so you can see when you did it. Players can change a hell of a lot in a year!
  • edited November 2012
    Too true!!-Good idea
  • edited November 2012
    I also like to put a time on my note, just because someone is playing like a nutter at 11.30pm on a friday night doesnt mean he will at 6pm on a Monday.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: How useful are notes?:
    I also like to put a time on my note, just because someone is playing like a nutter at 11.30pm on a friday night doesnt mean he will at 6pm on a Monday.
    Posted by shuv

Hahaha....love the subtle insinuation here mate!!

Do people really play when they have been drinking??
  • edited November 2012
    notes are not essential, esp not on sky poker since it has low traffic you can pretty much remember/get a feel for each players traits after a while.

When i do take notes i only put notes on bad players, like 'l/c - passive p/f' or 'l/c - c/c flop, c/c turn, donk shoved river with nuts' thats sorta stuff. 

Plus note taking on SKY(+several other sites tbf) is almost impossible when multi-tabling, but abbreviating is key.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: How useful are notes? : Hahaha....love the subtle insinuation here mate!! Do people really play when they have been drinking??
    Posted by SJspanky1
    whats wrong with drinking at 6pm on a monday?!
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: How useful are notes? : Hahaha....love the subtle insinuation here mate!! Do people really play when they have been drinking??
    Posted by SJspanky1
    It's alot more fun playing drunk tbh.
  • edited November 2012
    It depends on your notes really and how often you play them. If they are grinding 6 tables then a note saying that they c-bet a K49r flop but then check-folded an A turn would be useful because it tells you that they will c-bet the flop but give up on the turn if called otf.

Likewise if you have a note that simply says "shoved JJ pre-flop" on a player that doesn't play much and when they do they one-table. This might not actually mean anything.

When I was playing on sky regularly I found it best to catagories players into different types. reg-grinder, reg-fish, calling station, maniac, super-nit and then making note of the date helped.

Nick Weatheral was on 861 a long time ago and said that his notes resembled notes to himself. Such as "Nick, stop c-betting this player, he will just call and take your money". Doing this may seem verbose but you might remember more about the player and why you made the note if its memorable.