You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I almost always be checking the river in this sort of situation?

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Ok, so I figure my initial raise is too light - and yes I do accept that I shouldn't be playing a junk hand like this.

But ignoring those errors, once I've been given the chance to bink two-pair for free and the flush doesn't come in, should I be looking to bet for value on this river or eschewing my naturally greedy tendancies and accepting that any return with this sort of junk should be taken and avoid being check-raised off the hand?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
streve180 Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £5.45
smokeEZ Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £8.85
  Your hole cards

Haemophile Fold        
TheRat1 Call   £0.08 £0.20 £2.55
cougar26 Fold        
shakinaces Raise   £0.24 £0.44 £7.44
streve180 Call   £0.20 £0.64 £5.25
smokeEZ Call   £0.16 £0.80 £8.69
TheRat1 Call   £0.16 £0.96 £2.39
Flop

• A

streve180 Check        
smokeEZ Check        
TheRat1 Check        
shakinaces Check        
Turn

streve180 Check        
smokeEZ Check        
TheRat1 Bet   £0.08 £1.04 £2.31
shakinaces Raise   £0.60 £1.64 £6.84
streve180 Call   £0.60 £2.24 £4.65
smokeEZ Fold        
TheRat1 Fold        
River

streve180 Check        

Comments

• edited November 2012
    If you're gonna raise, then you should deffo c-bet the flop imo.

Then the turn is pretty fine, then definitely 100% it's a V-bet on the river imo
  • edited November 2012
    I like checking the flop fwiw

You have to bet the river.  Cannot be leaving money behind at this level.
  • edited November 2012
    lamb you need to stop thinking of the game like that. I've seen a few of your last posts that say something along the lines of 'if you do this pre, then you must do this otf' .. pokerz isnt like that, each hand is completely diff

i check cos i don't think we get folds enough of the time and we have decent enough equity to check behind imo

yh i bet ~1.80 otr
  • edited November 2012
    Cheers for the feedback all, much appreciated.

Re: not c-betting, it may be that I'm just not aggressive enough but when I have three callers I struggle to get away from thinking that at least one of them must have an ace or mid pocket-pair - and if they are calling me with that pre-flop they are calling a c-bet on that flop.  As such, if I c-bet I fear I'm inflating the pot with a VERY marginal hand and setting myself up for a bit of a nightmare as the hand plays out.

That's my thought process on the flop anyway, appreciate it may well be flawed logic.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Should I almost always be checking the river in this sort of situation?:
    lamb you need to stop thinking of the game like that. I've seen a few of your last posts that say something along the lines of 'if you do this pre, then you must do this otf' .. pokerz isnt like that, each hand is completely diff i check cos i don't think we get folds enough of the time and we have decent enough equity to check behind imo yh i bet ~1.80 otr
    Posted by percival09
    I didn't mean it like we have to c-bet 100% of flops 100% of the time, but the way I'm thinking (and feel free to tell me where I'm going wrong) is the range of hands we raise/iso a limper would be c-betting this flop.

Don't think we'd ever give a free card to 3 other players if we'd iso'd with Ax, and don't think we'd be checking behind with 77-KK either. Ok maybe it's not so relevant at 8NL giving the thought process of alot of players BUT surely checking the flop means a competent opponent can rule out a massive amount of potential holdings?
  • edited November 2012
    yeah ofc. but the thing is we haven't iso'd the limper because 2 other players have come along so that's completely ****** us over. That means we have to adapt. I'm not so sure we would cbet 77-kk 4way. 

yeah ofc most of the time when we check, we never have Ax, but youre giving way too much credit to these players. they don't care what you do. they don't care what range u have. 

we bet and get called by 2 players? we have to  just give up, (unless we hit the miracle turn ;) )

betting into 3 players is just spewy imo, and id still check if i had J10o - the fact we have 2nd pair just means we have some equity. 

we don't always have to rep the nuts. we had a plan pre, and that didnt work, adjust

• edited November 2012
    its very unlikely Id bet that flop into 4 opponents. If id managed to get it to heads up, then I might fire some of the time, I might still check depending on the opponent. 
    As for the river, I definitely 100% value bet - you can definitely get called by a LOT worse