You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Notes.

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat

Hi everyone, i was just wondering what kind of notes you need to be making about players and how to find out those things.

I was also wondering if anyone had made any notes on me and my play that would maybe like to share so i can improve?

Comments

• edited November 2012

I have notes on you RLT.

"Likes Bus stories".

"Good guy, his alias is an anagram of a model of bus".

• edited November 2012

hmm not sure what i can learn from those notes but gratefully recieved anyway.

im not a massive fan of bus stories but i feel you and my cousin would get on well he has autism and is addicted to trains buses and planes and everything to do with them. he goes to the local train station every day and knows all the annoucements word for word and the train schedule of the top of his head.

• edited November 2012

More seriously......

Try & keep notes brief, to do that, develop a code, &/or Grading System.

The latter is easy - just grade players from 1 to 10, & give them a mark.

Better to categorise players into "types". You can describe them in conventional terms, or develop a shorthand code.

Aggro

Passive

Very loose

No positional sense

Station

You can better categorise via shorthand code.

AM Absolute maniac. 

S Solid

L Loose

DAAB Daft as a brush

LC - Limp-Caller

RLY - Runs like Yoyo

ABAS As bad as Solack

And so on.  

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Notes.:
    hmm not sure what i can learn from those notes but gratefully recieved anyway.   im not a massive fan of bus stories but i feel you and my cousin would get on well he has autism and is addicted to trains buses and planes and everything to do with them. he goes to the local train station every day and knows all the annoucements word for word and the train schedule of the top of his head.
    Posted by RLT16
    Really? What a lovely little story!
  • edited November 2012

what do you mean by station?

As for RLY im not worried about him I keep running into TommyD or Garyqqq in tournaments and it would just be a relief not to see those 2 again :)

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Notes. : Really? What a lovely little story!
    Posted by Tikay10
    yeh Its abosuletly amazing but alot of people dont understand him or autism so he occasionally gets abit of grief from other people at the station, some people are just to ignorant.

both him and my brother have autism and its absolutely incredible what they know and can do, my brother is ridiculously good at maths for example.
  • edited November 2012

A "station" is poker slang for a player who calls any raise, usually from any position, & quite often after limping in.

It is a derogartory term really, but these are private notes, so nobody except you sees them, thus you can type exactly as you think.

If you actually called a player a "station", that would be deemed an insult, or rude.  

• edited November 2012
    thankyou, also what do people mean exactly when they say DONK?
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Notes. : yeh Its abosuletly amazing but alot of people dont understand him or autism so he occasionally gets abit of grief from other people at the station, some people are just to ignorant. both him and my brother have autism and its absolutely incredible what they know and can do, my brother is ridiculously good at maths for example.
    Posted by RLT16
    Hmm, don't start me off on that subject.

The 5 year old Son of a close friend of mine has just been diagnosed as having dyspraxia, & he seems to have quite a severe version of the condition. The lad is unable to do very basic things, & yet can perform some incredibly clever things, too.  

• edited November 2012
    thankyou, also what do people mean exactly when they say DONK?
    Posted by RLT16
    Well.....

A "donk lead" can be several things, but generally is betting out first to act after the flop usually, but it is often meant in a derogatory way.

However, in poker slang, a "donk" is, again, a derogatory term, (short for "donkey" I suppose) denoting a player who is perceived to be inferior, or incompetent. Which some people seem to think is some sort of sin, or suggests they are a lesser person.

Online, lots of people get called "donks", but it rarely happens in "Live" Poker, as people are far more circumspect.  
  • edited November 2012
    Hi RLT.
    As Tikay says in general at first you are just putting the player "types" which you can pick up pretty quickly but after a while playing with the same players I like to put in my notes players betting patterns.
    Eg: A player might bet full pot when bluffing and half pot or less when holding a decent hand.
    Of course you can not base these notes on just a few hands but over a decent period of time you can notice these things.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Notes. : Hmm, don't start me off on that subject. The 5 year old Son of a close friend of mine has just been diagnosed as having dyspraxia, & he seems to have quite a severe version of the condition. The lad is unable to do very basic things, & yet can perform some incredibly clever things, too.    
    Posted by Tikay10

its a subject thats always been close to me, when i was younger i was training to work with children with all sorts of disabilities it was something i always wanted to do after growing up with my brother and seeing how people treated him. its unbelieveable what these families have to deal with and the lack of support and understanding thats out there for them.

• edited November 2012
    Hi RLT. As Tikay says in general at first you are just putting the player "types" which you can pick up pretty quickly but after a while playing with the same players I like to put in my notes players betting patterns. Eg: A player might bet full pot when bluffing and half pot or less when holding a decent hand. Of course you can not base these notes on just a few hands but over a decent period of time you can notice these things.
    Posted by jonjo75
    thanks! i'll look out for this!