You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Time for a break

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Going to have a while off, this week has just been a disaster.  Not even enjoying poker lately i used to think i was on my way to becoming a good player bu this week i just feel like iv gone a million miles backwards.  Its the first week i hvnt made any profit from 50 nl, so i decided to play 100nl, i lost yesterday when my ak was beat by q 8 lol and today i was getting constant aggresion from one opponent so i eventually made a stand with my j q top pair on a q 66 board, only to realise my timing had been perfect and he had gone in on 76.

In runs like this iv always felt confident ill still win but lately i just dont wanna play i dont enjoy it and when it gets to that stage you have to say enough is enough,  especially when your losing buy ins at 100nl, even thought its profit i still dont enjoy losing hundreds in days.

Not sure how to come back from this tbh, maybe its back to training sites all day.  Also thankyou for alot of players good advice on the poker clinic etc it did help even though i feel like this atm i still feel peoples advice helps so thanks everyone and gl to you all!

Comments

• edited November 2012

It happens to us all Robbie Varience in poker can be extremely brutal at times.  Sometimes you might not do anything wrong at all and things can go against you.  With regards to playing 100nl i actually believe 100nl on sky is softer than 50nl as you will find some recreational players on 100nl looking for a gamble up and 50nl is quite nit reggy but it all depends wheather or not your bankrolled for that level which would be around £3000. 

Back when i 1st started i used to take shots at games i shouldnt have been involved in for example losing a few buyins at 100nl i would have had no fear taking a shot at a 500nl cash game which is not the right strategy!  My bankrool banagement has got better through time as i have learnt to deal with the extreme swings and varience in poker. 

Bankrool management has become extremely important for me now as from last week when i joined a poker stable and im not playing with my own money anymore.  I joined the stable 1 day after i won the ukops rebuy main event for £6K.  The stable allow me to play any tournament i want upto 55s and im allowed to play upto 50nl at cash.  I used to play a lot of hyperturbo heads up games but no hyperturbos are allowed under the aggreement. 

But Robbie you cant expect to have a winning week in poker every week its just not going to happen for anyone.  Also i think you need to play more tables youre going to have a hard time making a profit playing 1 table.  You should concentrate and get a proper poker set up with a monitor and aim to move upto 4 tables at once then gradually you will be able to move upto 6 with ease.

Best of luck Conor

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Time for a break:
    It happens to us all Robbie Varience in poker can be extremely brutal at times.  Sometimes you might not do anything wrong at all and things can go against you.  With regards to playing 100nl i actually believe 100nl on sky is softer than 50nl as you will find some recreational players on 100nl looking for a gamble up and 50nl is quite nit reggy but it all depends wheather or not your bankrolled for that level which would be around £3000.  Back when i 1st started i used to take shots at games i shouldnt have been involved in for example losing a few buyins at 100nl i would have had no fear taking a shot at a 500nl cash game which is not the right strategy!  My bankrool banagement has got better through time as i have learnt to deal with the extreme swings and varience in poker.  Bankrool management has become extremely important for me now as from last week when i joined a poker stable and im not playing with my own money anymore.  I joined the stable 1 day after i won the ukops rebuy main event for £6K.  The stable allow me to play any tournament i want upto 55s and im allowed to play upto 50nl at cash.  I used to play a lot of hyperturbo heads up games but no hyperturbos are allowed under the aggreement.  But Robbie you cant expect to have a winning week in poker every week its just not going to happen for anyone.  Also i think you need to play more tables youre going to have a hard time making a profit playing 1 table.  You should concentrate and get a proper poker set up with a monitor and aim to move upto 4 tables at once then gradually you will be able to move upto 6 with ease. Best of luck Conor
    Posted by bearlyther
    Nice reply connor, i love hearing other peoples storys its nice to know people have been at the same stage as you somtimes you feel like youve been an idiot but its nice to know others have made mistakes. tbh i dont intend to play 100nl all the time i just wanted to take a shot, i had a tournament win about a week ago for £550 and that was on the back of a good cash week at 50nl, so i took some money out, and thought id take a shot at 100 nl.  I lost never mind i enjoyed taking a shot and it was with profit money which makes it abit easy but i really felt like i was out my depth so i know i have alon way to go.  I first started playing 10nl on sky poker and then really worked hard and that was at te start of this year so to even be playing 100nl iv got to be happy.

Its very dissapointing though when you feel you have an edge then slowely things go downhill, i write on these forums to improve though and i wont give up until im happy with what im doing and making money ! that stable sounds great so what site you playing on now pokerstars or ft? i wish you luck with your games im sure you going to keep improving......you playing full time as a pro now? or not made that step yet

Yeah the multitable thing has got to happen i guess, but i just cant believe i can make the same accuracy or decision if im playing all those tables it would be very difficult.  I might message some people on here and see if they can help me out with multi tabling cause some poeple are doing like 12 tables thats amazing.

Have you had any good results yet with your stable?

Thanks for the replys always appreciate your advice, robbie
  • edited November 2012
    if you're not confident or you're losing or you're reaching the lower end of bankroll requirements for your current level you should move down not up!

if you continue to strive to improve then you most likely will, fewer tables and more grey matter = playing better, more and more tables requires you to already know what move you're going to make in thousands of situations, if you don't already know it just makes things unpossible and speeds up your swings making them more volatile by reducing any winrate you have.
  • edited November 2012
    hi Robbie,
    i've watched your progress right from when you 1st joined sky.
    i'm no expert myself but i have always tried to give advice to you where i can.
    b/roll management is so important especially playing cash where the swings can be brutal.
    that would be my best tip for you.
    taking shots is fine but you also should be prepared to drop levels if it isn't working.
    it's fantastic when u r winning but it sure hurts when u 'ain't.
    as to multi-tabling,if u can win playing 1 table then there should be no reason why you can't win even more playing 2 or more.
    but,on the reverse playing more tables could cost you dearly if you suddenly hit a down-swing at the wrong time.
    it's a fine line sometimes between winning and losing,and only you can find that line.
    i wish you well buddy.
    gl
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Time for a break : Nice reply connor, i love hearing other peoples storys its nice to know people have been at the same stage as you somtimes you feel like youve been an idiot but its nice to know others have made mistakes. tbh i dont intend to play 100nl all the time i just wanted to take a shot, i had a tournament win about a week ago for £550 and that was on the back of a good cash week at 50nl, so i took some money out, and thought id take a shot at 100 nl.  I lost never mind i enjoyed taking a shot and it was with profit money which makes it abit easy but i really felt like i was out my depth so i know i have alon way to go.  I first started playing 10nl on sky poker and then really worked hard and that was at te start of this year so to even be playing 100nl iv got to be happy. Its very dissapointing though when you feel you have an edge then slowely things go downhill, i write on these forums to improve though and i wont give up until im happy with what im doing and making money ! that stable sounds great so what site you playing on now pokerstars or ft? i wish you luck with your games im sure you going to keep improving......you playing full time as a pro now? or not made that step yet Yeah the multitable thing has got to happen i guess, but i just cant believe i can make the same accuracy or decision if im playing all those tables it would be very difficult.  I might message some people on here and see if they can help me out with multi tabling cause some poeple are doing like 12 tables thats amazing. Have you had any good results yet with your stable? Thanks for the replys always appreciate your advice, robbie
    Posted by robbie1992

I dont think there is anything wrong with you taking shots as long as you have funds to reload and play at the next level down if it doesnt work out.  Im playing on here and ps France came 2nd in the 6pm £33 bounty hunter and won a £22 bounty hunter on here  only played a few tourneys so far on ps fr and other than that been grinding 50 nl.  Enjoying being with the stable as i think it makes me more focused playing to win for someone else and also myself.  Yea ive been playing fulltime for around 6 months or so now and im really enjoying it.

I used to only play 1 table about a year ago and didnt see how i could ever move up and play more tables but just try it out see how it goes you will get used to it and it will just become natural.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Time for a break : I dont think there is anything wrong with you taking shots as long as you have funds to reload and play at the next level down if it doesnt work out.  Im playing on here and ps France came 2nd in the 6pm £33 bounty hunter and won a £22 bounty hunter on here  only played a few tourneys so far on ps fr and other than that been grinding 50 nl.  Enjoying being with the stable as i think it makes me more focused playing to win for someone else and also myself.  Yea ive been playing fulltime for around 6 months or so now and im really enjoying it. I used to only play 1 table about a year ago and didnt see how i could ever move up and play more tables but just try it out see how it goes you will get used to it and it will just become natural.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Yeah i no i just thoght id see how it goes seeing as a had a win and it was profits, i didnt expect to lose it and be so out of depth but never mind least i will never wonder what if.   i will never drop back down to 50 nl, think im gonna spend alot of time on poker training sites and looking at my hand historys like i used to lol oh you play full time well done. yeah the deal you got sounds good what percentages is it though? Yeah ill take your progress as guidlines if i could follow the same things you done i will be a happy boy.
  • edited November 2012
    Sometimes working out your own autopilot leaks is much > than taking a break.  As when you come back from a break you'll start bending life but then once old habbits come back into your game you start to feel pain again. 

Also - I dont think 100nl is softer than 50nl in the long run, I do agree though that if you are rolled for table selecting 50nl-200nl then obv your going to play in some of the best seats on the site. But take my opinion  with a pinch of salt as I only played a few long sessions during a shot in September and ended up loosing like 5% of my roll which sucked. Moreso as I got it in good in a few good spots which got sky'd/

Also def do not move up when you running bad/loosing/playing bad... This can lead to epic tilt sessions that can bust rolls. 

• edited November 2012
    Sometimes working out your own autopilot leaks is much /> than taking a break.  As when you come back from a break you'll start bending life but then once old habbits come back into your game you start to feel pain again.  Also - I dont think 100nl is softer than 50nl in the long run, I do agree though that if you are rolled for table selecting 50nl-200nl then obv your going to play in some of the best seats on the site. But take my opinion  with a pinch of salt as I only played a few long sessions during a shot in September and ended up loosing like 5% of my roll which sucked. Moreso as I got it in good in a few good spots which got sky'd/ Also def do not move up when you running bad/loosing/playing bad... This can lead to epic tilt sessions that can bust rolls. 
    Posted by TPTP123
    how do i work out my own leaks though just look through my hand historys?
    yeah i shouldnt of tried 100nl when im playing so bad, i wouldnt of if it wasnt profits that i was playing with.....o well at least i know no for the future.  I found it at least exciting playing at a higher level, with every mistake i learn somthing new i guess lol
  • edited November 2012
    just record a session of you playing and watch it back, theres loads of screen recoding software out there... 

Thats the easiest way imo
  • edited November 2012
    Hey Robbie

For those of you who don't know I was the villain in the OP.  As has been said before in this thread, never move up when you're either playing bad or not rolled for it.  The odd shot is fine but I don't think that's what you were doing here.  I would also say never move up when your confidence is low.  I've been around the block a few times and it flagged up to me that you weren't entirely comfortable quite early in the session.

We spoke about this privately but just to reiterate, fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.  You need to build a poker style and game from the foundations up.  People who attempt to run before they can walk eventually run into a deep hole.  Those of us who have climbed their way up mostly started small.  I began with $5 SnGs and nl$10 elsewhere.  You need to get that kind of experience under your belt.  I'm not saying drop all the way down there, just go to the level where you feel comfortable and confident.  Get your game going, review your game, look at vids, forums etc.  Make sure you are a thinking player rather than a button clicker.  Much like MMA where all the hard work is done in the gym, the bulk of the graft in poker comes from continually reviewing our play.  This can be done both pre/post session by review or during session building up experience and always thinking.  Always ask yourself 'Why did I take that line?'  When you build all those fundamentals up then some elements come naturally, you can add more tables confidently, the game comes much easier and then you can add in the more advanced style parts as bells and whistles.

Best of luck Sir.