You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SATS GRRRRR..........

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
I know I'll prob get shot down for this but WTH...........

as a very small BR player who very rarely has a chance to make ME's or big tourneys, it's great that Sky have so many Sats into these.

however and this is where I'll get shot down, as I know it's everyone's right to play these, but the number of higher BR regs, who buy in direct then use the sat route to try and get there money back, is slightly off putting and I'm wondering whether it's just all worth playing them anymore. :(

TBH I expect to get two very distinct groups of replies here, but over to you..........

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I can understand why it's done tbh but I do tend to agree!  Being a low stakes player myself I play sats for a seat, not for the cash value, it can be frustrating!
  • edited November 2012
    More players that try to qualify means more seats available to win plus it's gd BRM to sat in.
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah, alot of the top players can easy afford a £50 BI, but why bother paying £50 if you know you're good enough to get in for £5-£10.

Personally the more people that play the better imo, I'd rather be in a 1in5 with 50 players, than a 1in5 with 10 players.
  • edited November 2012

Would be better if Tournament Tokens were issued rather than cashback!
    Satellites should be a means to enter a tournament not cashback!
    If no cash was returned just alternative dates offered?, would it be better?

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: SATS GRRRRR..........:
    Would be better if Tournament Tokens were issued rather than cashback! Satellites should be a means to enter a tournament not cashback! If no cash was returned just alternative dates offered?, would it be better?
    Posted by cleansweep
    What normally happens is they buy-in direct and if they bink a seat in a sat, they get paid. So,if they don't bink a seat,they've added to the prize pool in the sat and added to prize pool in the main event as well.Lots more value me thinks.
  • edited November 2012

Its just like those stoopid all in sats Chris!

Us micro players never bink those....its always the HR's.

PS....GL in that 5K B/H Sir :):)
  • edited November 2012
    Mr. Scouse_red, I assume that you would not have a problem with the bigger bankrolled players playing in the satellites if they weren't any good.

Essentially, you're saying you only like it when bad players are allowed to play against you in these satellites. That's perfectly understandable and I wholeheartedly support that sentiment... but... that's not the game, really.
  • edited November 2012
    Mr. Scouse_red, I assume that you would not have a problem with the bigger bankrolled players playing in the satellites if they weren't any good. Essentially, you're saying you only like it when bad players are allowed to play against you in these satellites. That's perfectly understandable and I wholeheartedly support that sentiment... but... that's not the game, really.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Have to say I think you got it wrong this time Borin Loner.
    I believe Chris is implying that satellites are designed to gain access to major tournaments in the most cost effective way.
    If you enter them solely with the intention of taking the cash out of a tournament, at the expense of others qualifying. It defeats the object of promoting satellites. surely you enter to get a shot at the big money and the prestige of playing in the designated tournament.
    Otherwise why not just call them GTD 5 times your entry tournaments and not advertise the tournament they're intended for?
    It's not often I disagree with your comments but on this one I think you might reconsider.
  • edited November 2012
    I think the issue here though is that most of them aint doing it to run off with the money. Alot of them fully intend to play the ME or whatever it is they're playing the satellite for, they just enter direct in advance in case they satellite in and for some reason can't play.

Bigger bankrolled players shouldn't be forced to buy in direct just cos they can afford it when they're good enough to get in for half the price.
  • edited November 2012
    I think the issue here though is that most of them aint doing it to run off with the money. Alot of them fully intend to play the ME or whatever it is they're playing the satellite for, they just enter direct in advance in case they satellite in and for some reason can't play. Bigger bankrolled players shouldn't be forced to buy in direct just cos they can afford it when they're good enough to get in for half the price.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This isn't my point Paul I've no prob with them sattelliting in but to already be in and then take seats is imo wrong I'd have no prob if they played and didn't make it through, then bought in, surely you can see the difference

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: SATS GRRRRR.......... : This isn't my point Paul I've no prob with them sattelliting in but to already be in and then take seats is imo wrong I'd have no prob if they played and didn't make it through, then bought in, surely you can see the difference
    Posted by scouse_red
    Yeah I definitely see the difference, and I know there are a few players who play satellites with the full intention of just pocketing the buy-in money when they cash which I can see how some people might have a problem with that. For instance, if it was an SPT Semi, I'd be a bit gutted if I lost out to a guy that was just playing for the £110, although I'd be gutted if I bubbled to anyone lol...

Although on the other side of the coin, that person who bought in might have made it from 14 players to 15 players and might be the reason I get a seat for coming 3rd rather than some money... swings and roundabouts.

But I think/hope that most people who do register in advance are intending to play the event and so in them cases it wuoldnt make any difference.
  • edited November 2012
    I think the word "wrong" is a little bit more emotive than what you're aiming for, scouse_red. "Wrong" suggests some sort of immorality. I think you're simply saying that you don't like it, which is understandable.

However, when people play these satellites they put their money on the line, just like everyone else, and the prize they're looking at is generally 5x or 10x their buy-in. Whether they use their winnings to buy-in to the tournament or not is their business. Once they've won, it's their money. I accept that most people play because they want to get into the tournament but that doesn't mean that all of the players must have the same motive.

Frankly, once I've lost I don't care what the winners do with the money. Neither should anyone else. You've played a satellite and someone beat you. If you beat them then you would have the right to play that tournament, or not, as you so choose. Your opponents have the same choice when they beat you. As long as that option is made available to all by the site, it's up to every individual how they want to use it.

Again, I think it comes down to how good your opponents are: If they're playing for the money but aren't good enough at the game to show a profit, then you don't care - They're just adding to the prizepool and making it easier for you to win. Their intentions don't matter one jot to you when they lose. It's only when they win that you "get the hump" about those intentions.

I don't see any unpleasant difference between registering first then playing a satellite, and losing a satellite first then registering later... The only difference I can see between these two options is that registering first gives you the option to withdraw if you're unable to play the tournament. This would seem to be only sensible, particularly with tournaments for which you can qualify weeks in advance. Can you really be absolutely certain that you'll be able to commit six hours or more to a Super-Roller in two or three weeks time?

That aside, I've played a few satellites before without intending to play the event. I've done so because I've known that many of the players haven't been as good as me. The prize for all of us was the same, we all just had to decide for ourselves how to use it. If the player who bubbled had told me how upset he was that I'd taken the money, I'd have told him that he should have beaten me. Having beaten him, it's my decision what I want to do with that money. I've earned that win through years of deep study of the game, and I've taken enough licks over those years to be able to decide for myself how I want to spend my winnings.

If Sky or any other poker site wants to prevent people from taking the cash from satellites, then that's their business decision to make. As long as they offer the option, it's up to any player to make their own decision.

As I've said, you really shouldn't care what other players intend to do. You should only be concerned with what you do. If you win, you play the tournament. If you lose, you don't play the tournament. Your opponents have no influence over that.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: SATS GRRRRR.......... : Have to say I think you got it wrong this time Borin Loner. I believe Chris is implying that satellites are designed to gain access to major tournaments in the most cost effective way. If you enter them solely with the intention of taking the cash out of a tournament, at the expense of others qualifying. It defeats the object of promoting satellites. surely you enter to get a shot at the big money and the prestige of playing in the designated tournament. Otherwise why not just call them GTD 5 times your entry tournaments and not advertise the tournament they're intended for? It's not often I disagree with your comments but on this one I think you might reconsider.
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    I accept everything you say here. I'm sure this is a view shared by an awful lot of people. (Not that I think that necessarily makes it right, mind you)

One thing I'd disagree with is that as long as the satellites provide the option to take the cash, players are entitled to do so. Those players aren't taking that money "at the expense of others qualifying", they've beaten those players at the table. They've not taken away the right of those players to qualify with anything other than their own poker ability.

If the winner chooses not to play the tournament, and that option is allowed by the site, then the players who've lost have no right to say that (s)he shouldn't. Those losing players have already lost that money and now it belongs to the winning player.

As for satellites being the most cost-effective way to get in to a tournament; they're only cost-effective if you win. If you lose and still pay the buy-in, they're obviously the opposite of cost-effective (Cost-ineffective??) as it ends up costing you more. So satellites are only cost-effective if you're good at the game. :)

I've got to say, though, that the idea of having "5x your money tournaments" might have legs. Satellite strategy requires wholly different thought processes and playing styles. So having some tournaments like that, without being linked to larger tournaments, could attract some attention. A bit like Multi-table DYM's, only QYM's (Quintuple Your Money). I'd play them.
  • edited November 2012
    If you do the maths you'll soon realise that the multiplying rake make satellites -ev (particularly micro-sats) unless you have a big edge over the field, which is unlikely if they're peppered with HS sharks as you say. I can see the attraction if a direct buy-in is beyond your reach, however you should consider whether saving up for one direct buy-in is better value than five shots at satellites.
  • edited November 2012
    I think the word "wrong" is a little bit more emotive than what you're aiming for, scouse_red. "Wrong" suggests some sort of immorality. I think you're simply saying that you don't like it, which is understandable. However, when people play these satellites they put their money on the line, just like everyone else, and the prize they're looking at is generally 5x or 10x their buy-in. Whether they use their winnings to buy-in to the tournament or not is their business. Once they've won, it's their money. I accept that most people play because they want to get into the tournament but that doesn't mean that all of the players must have the same motive. Frankly, once I've lost I don't care what the winners do with the money. Neither should anyone else. You've played a satellite and someone beat you. If you beat them then you would have the right to play that tournament, or not, as you so choose. Your opponents have the same choice when they beat you. As long as that option is made available to all by the site, it's up to every individual how they want to use it. Again, I think it comes down to how good your opponents are: If they're playing for the money but aren't good enough at the game to show a profit, then you don't care - They're just adding to the prizepool and making it easier for you to win. Their intentions don't matter one jot to you when they lose. It's only when they win that you "get the hump" about those intentions. I don't see any unpleasant difference between registering first and then playing a satellite, and losing a satellite and registering later... The only difference I can see between these two options is that registering first gives you the option to withdraw if you're unable to play the tournament. This would seem to be only sensible, particularly with tournaments for which you can qualify weeks in advance. Can you really be absolutely certain that you'll be able to commit six hours or more to a Super-Roller in two or three weeks time? That aside, I've played a few satellites before without intending to play the event. I've done so because I've known that many of the players haven't been as good as me. The prize for all of us was the same, we all just had to decide for ourselves how to use it. If the player who bubbled had told me how upset he was that I'd taken the money, I'd have told him that he should have beaten me. Having beaten him, it's my decision what I want to do with that money. I've earned that win through years of deep study of the game, and I've taken enough licks over those years to be able to decide for myself how I want to spend my winnings. If Sky or any other poker site wants to prevent people from taking the cash from satellites, then that's their business decision to make. As long as they offer the option, it's up to any player to make their own decision. As I've said, you really shouldn't care what other players intend to do. You should only be concerned with what you do. If you win, you play the tournament. If you lose, you don't play the tournament. Your opponents have no influence over that.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I have seen players qualify for tournaments through satellites at the minimum level, make the tournament for the minimum stake.
    Which is fantastic because their skill shone through.
    But then they enter other satellites for the same tournament purely with the intention of taking the cash equivalent of entry.
    Is that not immoral? entering a satellite which clearly states the prize as entry to a specific tournament. but having no need, intention or ability to hold two seats in the advertised tournament?
    If Scotty 77 or Lolufold (I use their names only because they are rightly considered among the best players on the site, and their integrity is beyond question) decided to enter each months Viva Las Vegas, and you bubbled having gone through all the qualifying stages would you be happy if Scotty or Lolufold had already won places but took part solely to win the cash equivalent?
    It's the spirit of using Satelllites purely for cash cows after qualification, where we differ in opinions.
    That was the point I was trying to make. I just couldn't find the words to explain myself well enough.
    As I stated in my first post. I respect and agree with 99% of what you contribute to the forum I just didn't think you'd understood this particular topic.
    But agree a 5x - 10x tournament would be fun to try 
  • edited November 2012
    If you do the maths you'll soon realise that the multiplying rake make satellites -ev (particularly micro-sats) unless you have a big edge over the field, which is unlikely if they're peppered with HS sharks as you say. I can see the attraction if a direct buy-in is beyond your reach, however you should consider whether saving up for one direct buy-in is better value than five shots at satellites.
    Posted by GaryQQQ

Satellites are only -ev if you think they're pure gambling (or you think you're not very good, lol). In the long-term, given the standards in the fields I've faced in Sky satellites, I'd say that I'd expect to satellite through far more often than I would need to in order to break-even. I could say 30% or 40% of the time, but that would be picking an arbitrary number merely to illustrate my point. They're certainly not peppered with sharks, though it doesn't take too long to see which players are playing optimally and which are not.

The micro-sats may be higher variance but the players in them are also of a lower standard. So in the long-term you should expect a higher ROI in these than in the larger buy-in sats.... Unless the fees for the smaller buy-ins are substantially greater than the larger buy-ins, which I don't think they are... off the top of my head.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: SATS GRRRRR.......... : I have seen players qualify for tournaments through satellites at the minimum level, make the tournament for the minimum stake. Which is fantastic because their skill shone through. But then they enter other satellites for the same tournament purely with the intention of taking the cash equivalent of entry. Is that not immoral? entering a satellite which clearly states the prize as entry to a specific tournament. but having no need, intention or ability to hold two seats in the advertised tournament? If Scotty 77 or Lolufold (I use their names only because they are rightly considered among the best players on the site, and their integrity is beyond question) decided to enter each months Viva Las Vegas, and you bubbled having gone through all the qualifying stages would you be happy if Scotty or Lolufold had already won places but took part solely to win the cash equivalent? It's the spirit of using Satelllites purely for cash cows after qualification, where we differ in opinions. That was the point I was trying to make
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    I understand the point you're making but I don't agree with it.

It's not immoral for a poker player to beat you. Once they've won, why do you care what they do? It doesn't make any difference to you.

Take it to the extreme and say you're playing against four other players, each of whom intend to take the cash. The only way they deny you the tournament entry is by beating you. Whether they take the seat or they take the cash, you've lost anyway. On the other hand, if they weren't allowed to take part you would not have the chance to play that satellite at all.

You each put your money on the table and the winning player takes that money. The sign above the door might say "Satellite to Tournament X", but if that guy walks out with the satellite winnings, what difference does it make to you? What right do you have to say how he should use his money? Once you've lost, the money isn't yours anymore. If you don't want the other guy to use your money in a particular way, then don't put it on the table in the first place.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: SATS GRRRRR.......... : I understand the point you're making but I don't agree with it. It's not immoral for a poker player to beat you. Once they've won, why do you care what they do? It doesn't make any difference to you. Take it to the extreme and say you're playing against four other players, each of whom intend to take the cash. The only way they deny you the tournament entry is by beating you. Whether they take the seat or they take the cash, you've lost anyway. On the other hand, if they weren't allowed to take part you would not have the chance to play that satellite at all. You each put your money on the table and the winning player takes that money. The sign above the door might say "Satellite to Tournament X", but if that guy walks out with the satellite winnings, what difference does it make to you? What right do you have to say how he should use his money? Once you've lost, the money isn't yours anymore. If you don't want the other guy to use your money in a particular way, then don't put it on the table in the first place.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Satellites are run to generate fields for major tournaments.
    If players are not entering to make up part of the field.
    Surely they are reducing the prize fund and devaluing the tournament?
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: SATS GRRRRR.......... : Satellites are run to generate fields for major tournaments. If players are not entering to make up part of the field. Surely they are reducing the prize fund and devaluing the tournament?
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    Well, that's a slightly different argument.

I'm sure if Sky tournaments were regularly failing to attract big fields and large numbers of satellite players were simply taking the money, the suits would probably alter their satellites to prevent cash payouts. However, most players do play satellites for the seat and I assume it's not a huge issue for the site.

Even if it were a problem, it would not be a problem of the players' making. Nor would they be wrong in taking an opportunity available to them. The site provides the opportunity and the players take advantage of that. The player doesn't care what's best for the site and the site doesn't care what's best for the player. The size of the tournament field is something for the poker site to worry about.

The original point was that these players who've already bought in to the tournament don't automatically reduce the field or prizepool of that tournament by playing more satellites. They only prevent other players qualifying if they beat them. If they don't win the satellites, then they've actually contributed more to the tournament - an extra 1/5 of a buy-in. They've paid 1/5 of someone elses entry fee.

So it all comes down to whether those players are good or not. If they're bad players, you're happy to have them as they increase your chances of qualifying and are boosting the prize pool. If they're good players, you're not so happy.
  • edited November 2012
    swings & roundabouts

fwiw I completely agree with borinloner. They beat you, they decide what they do with the money, why should it bother you? Why would you care whether they're playing the event or not? Really makes no sense.

Although I DO think Sky should give tournament tickets instead of direct entry/cash equivalent, but this doesn't mean the players who take the cash are doing anything remotely wrong. While I completely understand people's arguments, they hold no real strength and aren't justified.
  • edited November 2012
    Lol, i understand yr statement but, as in anything in life if you can do sumthing for cheaper aint you gunna do it???????????. Simple answer is yes
  • edited November 2012
    Mr. Scouse_red, I assume that you would not have a problem with the bigger bankrolled players playing in the satellites if they weren't any good. Essentially, you're saying you only like it when bad players are allowed to play against you in these satellites. That's perfectly understandable and I wholeheartedly support that sentiment... but... that's not the game, really.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    firstly can I thank you for your very in depth replies to this thread, debate is what this forum was intended for.
    secondly to the highlighted part in the post, this never came into my reasoning for making the OP and Dunmidoshs' reply hit it pretty much bang on  "I believe Chris is implying that satellites are designed to gain access to major tournaments in the most cost effective way.
    If you enter them solely with the intention of taking the cash out of a tournament, at the expense of others qualifying. It defeats the object of promoting satellites"

this was the only point I was trying to get across 
  • edited November 2012
    swings & roundabouts fwiw I completely agree with borinloner. They beat you, they decide what they do with the money, why should it bother you? Why would you care whether they're playing the event or not? Really makes no sense. Although I DO think Sky should give tournament tickets instead of direct entry/cash equivalent, but this doesn't mean the players who take the cash are doing anything remotely wrong. While I completely understand people's arguments, they hold no real strength and aren't justified.
    Posted by percival09
    Is it not thieving?

What about the players who buy in direct or satellite into main events, then win the tournament advertised?
    By taking out the satellite entry prize, have greedy players not taken out someone elses money?

I understand that some players will never reach a level where they take down tournament., So they go for the easier/cowards option.
    But I don't think its right! satellites IMO should be for players who want to play poker at the highest level against the best players! The prize money from all satellites should go towards the tournament advertised, not siphoned off mid way.

I agree tournament tokens would be a good idea, so long as the full value can be redeemed against a tournament. Unlike previous tokens ahich were used on the next entered tournament irrespective of tariff

• edited November 2012
    How is paying money to win a seat/take the money thieving or the cowards way? If you've bought in direct and then win a satellite, you are effectively just satelliting in and haven't robbed anyone. Totally inappropriate language. Even if you're entering and winning multiple satellites having bought in direct, it's not robbery, you've paid money to enter,same as everyone else.
  • edited November 2012

I play alot of these with zero intention of playing the following tournament should I cash.

The main reason is there are very few (if any) alternatives.

Sats mainly run between 4pm-8pm before the main tournaments kick off. Have a look at the MTT lobby during these times, and you'll see why I and many others take the satellite option.

There's a £11 and £33 BH, which run for about 3.5 hours start to finish. Min cash often gives a loss, and at best a +ve ROI which is inferior to that of a single dym. 

Alternatively you can play a £9.60 buy in sat, capped at 25 runners, with 2 spots gtd £110, which is over within an hour. 

Or a £4.80 one with £55 gtd for 1st and 2nd. 

Or even a 1 in 5 sat to the main event, offering a gtd 500% ROI for an hours play should you cash. 

Fix the MTT lobby, and this satellite 'problem' will go a long way to fixing itself. 
  • edited November 2012
    The thing is that satellites are not "...designed to gain access to major tournaments in the most cost effective way." At present they are designed to EITHER provide a route for qualification to a larger tournament OR the cash equivalent.

You might prefer that the only payout available was for the tournament ticket but that's not how things are. If the winner wants the money that is the player's right, as things are. If you want to lobby Sky Poker to change their system, go ahead. Don't blame the players for simply playing the game, winning and then taking the prize offered to them.

Also, the term "thieving" as Mohican says, is totally inappropriate. As I, DOHHHHHHH and many others have done this before, you are effectively calling us thieves. I'm not particularly concerned by this (I call myself BorinLoner, after all) but I'm sure others would be quite upset about it. The money from a satellite is placed on the table and the best 1/5 or 1/10 of the field wins. What they then wish to do is their decision and they're provided with two legitimate options.

The satellites may be advertised as being qualifiers for a greater tournament but that money isn't in the prize pool of that greater tournament until the tournament starts. If you register for a tournament with 100 runners, and someone changes their mind and withdraws before that tournament starts, they're not taking anything from you. It's just the same as not playing a tournament you've satellited into. Yes, there's less money in the prizepool but theres also one fewer player to beat.
  • edited November 2012
    The players in sats for the money are a canny bunch. Let's say it's a Primo sat; £55 in cash is worth more than £50 of tournament equity to most people. 

The trouble with sats is that you get raked twice; your entry fee and your prize. If you try to qualify via a quarter-final you're going to be raked 3 times (if you get there).

Satellites are great for the site; they generate twice as much rake per seat filled (or more). Apart from offering the opportunity of taking a shot I'm not convinced the sats benefit the players too much, particularly the shove-fests with 3-minutes levels. 
  • edited November 2012
    I personally don't have a problem with any player, regardless of their bankroll, trying to satellite into a tournament. But I do think its wrong that players use these games as a way of making cash and therefore depriving people of a cheap seat into a game.

I believe that Sky should issue tournament tickets rather having a cash alternative but until they do, players will continue to use satellites as a cash cow.

It would be interesting to see Skys reaction if someone managed to satellite in the Vegas promoting twice.  Would they be happy to give that person £10k for their second win?
  • edited November 2012
    the best answer is for sky to run sats in the sit and go area of the lobby so they can run when they are full
    the higher rolled players are not taking seats away in effect because there are only 5 or so per night and it is very rare for a player to catch 2 or 3 seats per night

In Response to Re: SATS GRRRRR.......... : This isn't my point Paul I've no prob with them sattelliting in but to already be in and then take seats is imo wrong I'd have no prob if they played and didn't make it through, then bought in, surely you can see the difference
    Posted by scouse_red
  • edited November 2012
    +1
    3 minute level sats are not good value

The players in sats for the money are a canny bunch. Let's say it's a Primo sat; £55 in cash is worth more than £50 of tournament equity to most people.  The trouble with sats is that you get raked twice; your entry fee and your prize. If you try to qualify via a quarter-final you're going to be raked 3 times (if you get there). Satellites are great for the site; they generate twice as much rake per seat filled (or more). Apart from offering the opportunity of taking a shot I'm not convinced the sats benefit the players too much, particularly the shove-fests with 3-minutes levels. 
    Posted by GaryQQQ