You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

1st thoughts on nl50

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Somehow iv lucked my bankroll up over the past few days to 1 in which i can compete at nl50 played a couple of hours so far and it seems to be ok lots of rocks. This hand stood out for the obvious reason that i lost.
Pretty sure player is a reg and thought he was a nit up til this hand... thoughts on my line fwiw i thought i was chopping on the turn so trying to keep it small and was unsure of a back door flush on the river but felt i had to call. Any thoughts on my line welcome can we ever fold this? Unsure of how i am precieved by villian we have generally been staying out of each others way but i have been 3betting the most on the table but have probably only check raised maybe twice in the last 90mins on this table neither getting to showdown
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
britrock Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £80.10
jams88 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £82.48
TPTP123 Sit out        
  Your hole cards
  • A

gerrard9 Fold        
??
Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £104.41
SanqBeliq Call   £1.50 £3.75 £51.15
britrock Fold        
jams88 Call   £1.00 £4.75 £81.48
Flop

jams88 Check        
??
Bet   £3.00 £7.75 £101.41
SanqBeliq Fold        
jams88 Raise   £7.50 £15.25 £73.98
??
Call   £4.50 £19.75 £96.91
Turn

jams88 Check        
??
Bet   £13.70 £33.45 £83.21
jams88 Call   £13.70 £47.15 £60.28
River

• K

jams88 Check        
??
Bet   £27.40 £74.55 £55.81
jams88 Call   £27.40 £101.95 £32.88
??
Show

jams88 Muck
  • A

??
Win Straight to the 6 £100.15   £155.96

Comments

• edited November 2012
    In Response to 1st thoughts on nl50:
    Somehow iv lucked my bankroll up over the past few days to 1 in which i can compete at nl50 played a couple of hours so far and it seems to be ok lots of rocks. This hand stood out for the obvious reason that i lost. Pretty sure player is a reg and thought he was a nit up til this hand... thoughts on my line fwiw i thought i was chopping on the turn so trying to keep it small and was unsure of a back door flush on the river but felt i had to call. Any thoughts on my line welcome can we ever fold this? Unsure of how i am precieved by villian we have generally been staying out of each others way but i have been 3betting the most on the table but have probably only check raised maybe twice in the last 90mins on this table neither getting to showdown Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance britrock Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £80.10 jams88 Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £82.48 TPTP123 Sit out           Your hole cards A 5       gerrard9 Fold         ?? Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £104.41 SanqBeliq Call   £1.50 £3.75 £51.15 britrock Fold         jams88 Call   £1.00 £4.75 £81.48 Flop     2 4 3       jams88 Check         ?? Bet   £3.00 £7.75 £101.41 SanqBeliq Fold         jams88 Raise   £7.50 £15.25 £73.98 ?? Call   £4.50 £19.75 £96.91 Turn     5       jams88 Check         ?? Bet   £13.70 £33.45 £83.21 jams88 Call   £13.70 £47.15 £60.28 River     K       jams88 Check         ?? Bet   £27.40 £74.55 £55.81 jams88 Call   £27.40 £101.95 £32.88 ?? Show 6 8       jams88 Muck A 5       ?? Win Straight to the 6 £100.15   £155.96
    Posted by jams88
    Strange one really. ok he bet the flop but after gettin reraised he should prob fold. No he SHOULD FOLD. Dont understand his line tbh
  • edited November 2012
    i think i no the villian if it him he prob the only 50nl reg that has a bit of wider range from my recollection other are sicko nits.

i terms of the hand i do perfere a nice sized squezee there pre then bomb the flop if u get called,as the button just looks like he playing the position ect.

i think he prob calling ur reraise on the flop to i guess play for stacks but he river line is puzzeling. 

but yeh pretty must an cooller turn, i not 100% sure he ever trying to steal a chop on the river seen as he has postion and could easy check back a str8 as ur only paiding more rake.  
  • edited November 2012
    think it's fine

probabaly should lead turn for value but you don't wanna get blown off ya hand
    I mean what do ya raise flop and check turn with, surprised oppo didn't extract more from you
    oppo probs thought u had a set
  • edited November 2012
    did you think he was betting £27 on the river as a bluff??

i dont see anything you're beating.  i dont even think you're splitting here very often as most nl50 regs wont be betting the dummy end of the straight on that river.
  • edited November 2012
    Lot of rocks at nl50? really, not when i play. Reg the hand, ugly turn, being oop i am pretty sure i would b/fold this but depends how wide his range is etc, but river is a definite c/f or b/f , action depends on turn play tbh.

Also just to reiterate there is a lot of fish at NL50, anyone who cant see this must be one lol 
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 1st thoughts on nl50:
    did you think he was betting £27 on the river as a bluff?? i dont see anything you're beating.  i dont even think you're splitting here very often as most nl50 regs wont be betting the dummy end of the straight on that river.
    Posted by huuuuume
    You saying your folding river ?
    Seriously nl50 regs only betting river with a 6 and not an ace.
    Should we never call to split.

• edited November 2012
    to answer a few points above. I didn't 3bet as i didnt want to get involved in an inflated pot oop possibly against to opponants with a marginal hand, when i can close the action pre knowing the price im paying to see if my hand flops well tbh i would have folded pre if the button hadn't come along aswell.

On the river i didnt think that there were many 6's still in villians range except 66. Thought maybe he thought i was playing a set or similar and he had the ace and got excited on the turn when they hit the str8 and was trying to push me off of the pot and we were likely to be splitting. Clearly i was wrong i excpet that but how do we recognise the signs.

Regarding regs v recreational players at nl50 at the point this hand occured i had played around 3 hours at nl50 on 2 tables so was going off of my reads from the tables i was at and what i have been reading in the general poker chat section of the forum which i sure you will agree has had a few posts recently from people complaining about the number of nits.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 1st thoughts on nl50 : You saying your folding river ? Seriously nl50 regs only betting river with a 6 and not an ace. Should we never call to split.
    Posted by rancid
    i would agree with betting even if you have dummy straights but i wouldn't do massive bet's or c/c i look at dummy straight in a simular way to a flush with your card being J or lower and the QKA are still missing.
    the best way to do it would have been a on flop you should have did the £10 bet, then on the turn do another £10 bet if he raised then you fold but if he called then just do a check on river and fold to any bets.
    doing it this way i can see a lot more putting you on 56s than A5o as for the river whe you check you have gave enough info to them from the flop and turn that you had a straight so bluffing is not the right thing to do by the villian and they would not want to bet if they had Aso therefore anyone with sence would only have one option a straight which is 6 or 7 high.
  • edited November 2012
    Regarding regs v recreational t i have been reading in the general poker chat section of the forum which i sure you will agree has had a few posts recently from people complaining about the number of nits.
    Posted by jams88
    I seen that thread and post of the like also, although i have not played or posted on the forum/sky for like~3 months due to playing on Stars, but the forum posters in question should define a new meaning to the term 'nits', as they use it too liberally on sky it seems.

Definition of a nit: Also known as Rock. A nit is a tight-passive player that avoids confrontations.

I probably have 2-3 players max in mind that fits that description, but Most players on sky are pretty loose imo.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 1st thoughts on nl50 : You saying your folding river ? Seriously nl50 regs only betting river with a 6 and not an ace. Should we never call to split.
    Posted by rancid
    it depends how often we think we're splitting.  in this hand i dont think we are splitting often enough to make it a good call. i dont know who the villain is here so with reads i may be more likely to call but in a vacuum with villain described as a reg i dont like calling to split.

its a combination of being a nit and being shown the backdoor flush/6 a vast majority of the time in these spots.
  • edited November 2012
    A  nit  is a tight-passive player that avoids confrontations. I probably have 2-3 players max in mind that fits that description, but Most players on sky are pretty loose imo.
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    If you think 50nl on sky is loose id hate to see what tight is!  Il give you credit for some game as you 3 bet me alot with a wide range which is good poker and not afraid to mix it up and get in confrontations. but other than 1 other player at 50nl not including myself i fail to see where the next light 3 bet is coming from! Also im not having a go at these players for playing like this its entirely up to them its their money and im sure they make like a grand off the rakeback each month.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 1st thoughts on nl50 : If you think 50nl on sky is loose id hate to see what tight is!  Il give you credit for some game as you 3 bet me alot with a wide range which is good poker and not afraid to mix it up and get in confrontations. but other than 1 other player at 50nl not including myself i fail to see where the next light 3 bet is coming from! Also im not having a go at these players for playing like this its entirely up to them its their money and im sure they make like a grand off the rakeback each month.
    Posted by bearlyther
    if you think most regs at nl50 are relying on rakeback then you are miles off the mark and vastly overestimating the difficulty of winning at this level. 

the current priority freeroll only has 44 players so in general i dont think there is a great reliance on rakeback on this site. as i write this there are 3k+ players online so as a % thats ~1.5%.

if you look at nl50 regs on that list there isnt really anyone i would doubt as a winning player.

there is more than one way to skin a cat :)
  • edited November 2012
    but hey of course i'd say that because i'm a nit and i don't get into enough pre flop raising wars with other regs
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 1st thoughts on nl50 : If you think 50nl on sky is loose id hate to see what tight is!  Il give you credit for some game as you 3 bet me alot with a wide range which is good poker and not afraid to mix it up and get in confrontations. but other than 1 other player at 50nl not including myself i fail to see where the next light 3 bet is coming from! Also im not having a go at these players for playing like this its entirely up to them its their money and im sure they make like a grand off the rakeback each month.
    Posted by bearlyther
    I only 3-bet when i have it :P no, i see what you mean, but NL50 is not 'tight' level, nor is it aggressive tbf, its deffo loose. I get terrible loose calls often, get in multi-way pots often, to be honest NL50 is a bit fishy, and i do tend to find myself make terrible calls on the river when faced with some funky bet by some funky player taking a fishy line, some players are crazy.

You on the other hand :),... your not scared of bluffing your whole stack :), being aggro :) and being pain in the neck, good fun though lol. 

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 1st thoughts on nl50 : if you think most regs at nl50 are relying on rakeback then you are miles off the mark and vastly overestimating the difficulty of winning at this level.  the current priority freeroll only has 44 players so in general i dont think there is a great reliance on rakeback on this site. as i write this there are 3k+ players online so as a % thats ~1.5%. if you look at nl50 regs on that list there isnt really anyone i would doubt as a winning player. there is more than one way to skin a cat :)
    Posted by huuuuume
    Im not saying the players at 50nl arnt winning players they are because of the style they play but i guaarantee most of their profits are from the rakeback.  They are winners as they make profits from the recreational players and sit there and wait to cooler other regs.  There is 2 reg players at this level i frequently get into some interesting spots with but generally its quite nitty.  The point i am making is i prefer to play poker and get into some interesting spots as this is how i will improve as a poker player.  When i sit down at a 50nl table im there to make money against people at the table i dont think about the rakeback its just a small bonus for me imo.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 1st thoughts on nl50 : I only 3-bet when i have it :P no, i see what you mean, but NL50 is not 'tight' level, nor is it aggressive tbf, its deffo loose. I get terrible loose calls often, get in multi-way pots often, to be honest NL50 is a bit fishy, and i do tend to find myself make terrible calls on the river when faced with some funky bet by some funky player taking a fishy line, some players are crazy. You on the other hand :),... your not scared of bluffing your whole stack :), being aggro :) and being pain in the neck, good fun though lol. 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Yep you put me in some spots quite a lot only seen you on the 50nl tables last week didnt see you playing last month during the big c4ps rakerace thingy.  With regards to bluffing my whole stack basically if i see anyway i can win a pot i level myself into taking some crazy line lol.  My swings can be quite insane because of my style of play i remember the 1st day of last month i won £1000 in the 1st day at 50nl then 3 days later i had lost like £700 of it lol then another upswing and downswing lol.
  • edited November 2012
    The point i am making is i prefer to play poker and get into some interesting spots as this is how i will improve as a poker player.  When i sit down at a 50nl table im there to make money against people at the table i dont think about the rakeback its just a small bonus for me imo.

This allllllLLL day long. Thinking like this is the only way to get to up to medium/high steaks imo but even those who are thinking like this are playing too many tables to actually put the correct level of thought into hands imo. And they are also prob withdrawing RB as their monthly wage as well leaving them with 15-30% of winnings left for building up BR, 

RE the mass goblins. There's a reason those 2 players dont move up to 100nl.. and thats all i'll say.