You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AA always auto call??

Is having AA ALWAYS an auto call when someone goes all in pre flop??  As last nights example shows, i had built up a nice stack with good steady play, then nearly all gone in one hand!  I know i could have sat back and been timid and u'll never win tournaments that way but just wondering your opinions.

Side note - I had noticed this guy was going all in alot to peoples raises pre flop so this was a def no brainer.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lugger Small blind  200.00 200.00 9423.13
HAPPYNIGE4 Big blind  400.00 600.00 6157.50
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

greygoose Fold     
bowlesy Fold     
EasyTiger Fold     
forest31 Fold     
Lugger Raise  1000.00 1600.00 8423.13
HAPPYNIGE4 All-in  6157.50 7757.50 0.00
Lugger All-in  8423.13 16180.63 0.00
Lugger Unmatched bet  3065.63 13115.00 3065.63
Lugger Show
  • A
  • A

HAPPYNIGE4 Show
  • J
  • K

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• A

HAPPYNIGE4 Win Flush to the King 13115.00  13115.00

Comments

• edited November 2009

PS I only did 1000 raise as 2 hands previous i had, believe it or not, pocket Aces, raised 3 or 4 x BB and as i had been playing fairly tight (in my opinion!!) everyone folded.

So thought i would try get someone involved!!

• edited November 2009

Wowwww if ur questioning going all win with AA pre flop, come sit at my table, ull never ever see a flop.

lol

short answer is yes, its always an auto call against 1 player.

Unless u get into the whole satellite debate, but I dont go there.

Ul, DOHH
  • edited November 2009
      Simple answer is yes. In this situation it is an instacall.  I can only think of 2 situations when calling an all in with AA isnt instant.

1) a bubble of a satellite when you have a medium size stack.
    2) when there have already been multiple all ins before you

Even in those circumstances i would probably call anyway. Basically if you dont call with AA , what hand are you willing to put your chips in with
  • edited November 2009
    Another standard play, u cant fold to an all in from 1 player unless like others say its a satellite. (even then i dont fold, but others are more careful in these situations than me)

you were an 81% fav pre, so this one is down the poker gods. you were just unlucky.

• edited November 2009
    OH MY, YOUR ACES GOT CRACKED WTFFFFFFFFF?????!

should have folded!

(ask a silly question, get a silly answer)
  • edited November 2009
    81%, thats good.  So long term it'll pay off.

I know u gotta call, but as my example shows, my whole tournament basically ended there where i had built up a lovely stack and thought i was playing good.  I did have a few chips left but the speed it was picking up at i was gonna be blinded and was in shove mode.
  • edited November 2009
    Keep making that play and for everytime it kicks u in the bum, 4 other times ur gonna double up and be a real player with a chance to WIN the tourny instead of just making the cash. You gotta like those odds! :)
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah i'm gonna win it soon!!!  2nd and 3rd so far in the open.
  • edited November 2009
    Always call with AA unless your on the bubble for a DYM/satelite
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: AA always auto call??:
    Always call with AA unless your on the bubble for a DYM/satelite
    Posted by Hogg321
    help me with the lingo bubble??  DYM/satelite
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: AA always auto call?? : help me with the lingo bubble??  DYM/satelite
    Posted by Hevaace1
    Hi Hevaace, the bubble is the last place before the cash (or seat in the case of a satellite). In double your money game the top 3 places get paid so therefore the bubble would be 4th place.

In response to the OP, in that situation, ABSOLUTELY YES you have to call there. As others have stated your an 81% favourite to win that hand and then be in a strong position to possibly win the tourney.
  • edited November 2009
    The reason people remember AA's as there bogey hand or the hand that knocks them out is because it is a instant call, there going-in every hand ahead therefore they have the odds to win.

• edited November 2009
    In Response to AA always auto call??:
    Is having AA ALWAYS an auto call when someone goes all in pre flop??
    Posted by Lugger
    If you are in a sattalite and feel you have a better than 82% chance of winning the seat when you fold, then no.

If not, yes.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm calling seven days a week.
    If I can't call with rockets, what am I gonna call with.

However, I'm a slow and steady loser, so best ignore my opinion!

ps. highway 61 revisited is the greatest album ever.. !
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with all the posts.
    The only time I would not call with A's is if there have been 2 or 3 all-in's before I act and I am near the bubble with a reasonable sized stack.
    A's are a nice starting hand but up against multiple opponents it is not so good.
  • edited November 2009

Considering a fold is like winning the lottery then debating wether or not to cash the ticket in or burn it.

DOHH

• edited November 2009
    OH MY, YOUR ACES GOT CRACKED WTFFFFFFFFF?????! should have folded! (ask a silly question, get a silly answer)
    Posted by Deadluck
    LOL

Another bad beat story BUT this time dressed up by someone who has 3 final tables in the open.... Sorry to say Lugger it seems to me you know the answer and must know roughly the chance of an out draw.  Anyway, you have outted HAPPYNIGE4 as being an aggressive player. And as you said you knew that before you got into the pot with him you should consider playing the player, knowing the odds and accepting the random outcome.

How would you feel if someone else posted your hands and made comment on your playing style on the forum?

<walks off to his high horse singing... />

"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done."
  • edited November 2009
    ladyfingr's post is the best advice on this thread regarding satallite payouts where the spread is even, in which case u can sit back, play tight, and just get blinded whilst people bust and you cash out your ticket.

also, if you're living in say, Brixton or Hull, or other places like that - then the winning lottery ticket analogy is actually very good.
  • edited November 2009

Its true, when you put lottery numbers on, the best thing that can possibly happen is you have the winning ticket.

When you sit down at a poker table, the best thing that can possibly happen is you get dealt AA and someone goes all in for you.

Krazy question really

DOHH

• edited November 2009
    Its true, when you put lottery numbers on, the best thing that can possibly happen is you have the winning ticket. When you sit down at a poker table, the best thing that can possibly happen is you get dealt AA and someone goes all in for you. Krazy question really DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Actually, the best thing that can happen is you win the tournament.

So I'd have to agree with Ladyfingers and say it's a poor analogy.
  • edited November 2009

Can't win a tourny in 1 hand bud.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi In any "normal" tourney, this is an automatic call against one player. There are situations where folding aces can be the correct play, BUT NOT IN THIS ONE. Dont get caught up in the outcome of the hand, as poker is a situational game. You have to be able to say, I did the correct thing and fate decided the outcome. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    How do you know it was a "normal" tourney--It could quite easily have had a Colin in it.-----lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: AA always auto call?? : How do you know it was a "normal" tourney--It could quite easily have had a Colin in it.-----lol
    Posted by oynutter
     I think you will find that it has to have at least one colin in it to qualify as a normal tournament