You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold Equity and Showdown Value - Someone explain what these mean please?

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Fold Equity and Showdown Value.

Hi I often hear these two terms on Sky Poker Channel. I am a fairly experienced player but still don't get these two terms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, George.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Showdown value basically means you have a hand that has some chance of being the best hand when it goes to showdown (after betting is done on the river). So you might not bet 2nd pr on the river because you have some showdown value but probably can't get called by worse hands for instance.
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks Lambert, I was pretty sure that is what it meant but thought I should double check!
  • edited November 2012
    fold equity:

by being the one to bet and have the option of your opponent folding you can gain value to your play.

on the flop if you have a FD, when you call you have to hit more often to win, by raising the flop you have the chance your opponents fold [fold equity] AND the chance you hit your flush when called [pot equity].

just calling down means you always have to show the best hand, raising means you can win ALL of the pot every time they fold.
  • edited November 2012
    Thank you for clearing that one up beaneh :).