You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3 min blind sats, love em, hate em?

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat

3 minute blind satellites do you love them or hate them.

While i understand that Sky wish to make more money by speeding up sats and generating more income, i can't help thinking that the blind structure is way to fast.  personally this discourages me from entering.

My personal opinion is that the 5 min blind 3k stack worked well and I am less inclined to play sats with 3 min blinds, as they turn into a shove fest in the early levels.

I would like a period were sats were offered at 3 min the 5 min alternately to give more choice.  players that like the 3 min could reg for theirs, and players that like 5 min likewise.

Anyway please vote for your favoured option.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    To be honest I love them and have a much better success rate in them than the slower ones, because I think they suit my preferred style of play more.

Yes they can turn into a 'shovefest' but that doens't have to be a derogatory term, the better plays will still win more often than the bad players because they know how wide the should be shoving, how wide they should be calling, what are good spots to shove, which players will minraise/fold even from a 10xBB stack etc etc.

There's just a different skillset needed for these games but it's skillful all the same.
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to a:
    To be honest I love them and have a much better success rate in them than the slower ones, because I think they suit my preferred style of play more. Yes they can turn into a 'shovefest' but that doens't have to be a derogatory term, the better plays will still win more often than the bad players because they know how wide the should be shoving, how wide they should be calling, what are good spots to shove, which players will minraise/fold even from a 10xBB stack etc etc. There's just a different skillset needed for these games but it's skillful all the same.
    Posted by Lambert180
    fair enough Paul, but why not give more choice to players who do have a different skill set to yourself.  Why does it have to be one or the other, why not have a choice?  Surely this would encourage more players to enter sats, as i say, I am put off by 3 min blinds, and as of now the majority of votes reflect my opinion.
  • edited November 2012

I stopped playing these months ago. They're way too fast, any skill edge is almost completely negated by the structure. Essentially they're run-good competitions, it'll be very difficult to beat the rake over a large sample imo. Direct buy-ins prefered.

Saying that, just because I don't like them myself it doesn't mean I want to see them binned. If they appeal to others and attract a reasonable field then fair enough, let them run.

• edited November 2012
    Yeah that's fair enough 67hboys, I don't see any problem with running both to allow for people who don't like 3 min blinds. They could/should probably just alternate them like 5 min blind game @ 6:15, 3 min game @ 6:45, 5 min game @ 7:15 etc etc, but yeah I was just standing up for them not to be binned.

I don't think it's fair to say there's no skill edge Gary, imo it's the same as when people say there's no skill edge at Hypers when there clearly is, it's just not massive.
  • edited November 2012
    I've said before that I don't think they're a crapshoot. I've only played in 10-15 of them, I would think, but I've got through probably around half the time. Obviously 10 or 15 isn't a huge sample size but the nature of the buy-in size means that the opposition aren't the best. So I'm confident that the rake is is easily beatable in the long-run.

Anyway, the blind structure isn't something that really bothers me too much. I don't mind playing 3 min blinds because it usually means the sat is over in half an hour or so, and who really wants to be playing a £1.60 sat for longer than that? On the other hand, if they went up to 5 min levels it wouldn't bother me. The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't expect their to ever be two different structures running in parrallel. I think they'll run one or the other but not both at the same time.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 min blind sats, love em, hate em?:
    imo it's the same as when people say there's no skill edge at Hypers when there clearly is, it's just not massive.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I agree that the skill edge is comparable to HU hypers. What makes the difference is the rake; 5% on HU hypers, 10% on the sats. 

Think of it this way; an edge that returns you an ROI of +2% on HU hypers, the same edge would net you an ROI of -3% in the sats.

Also you need to remember the hidden rake in satellites, if you win a seat it's not only your buy-in that gets raked, your prize gets raked too.
  • edited November 2012
    I've said before that I don't think they're a crapshoot. I've only played in 10-15 of them, I would think, but I've got through probably around half the time. Obviously 10 or 15 isn't a huge sample size but the nature of the buy-in size means that the opposition aren't the best. So I'm confident that the rake is is easily beatable in the long-run. Anyway, the blind structure isn't something that really bothers me too much. I don't mind playing 3 min blinds because it usually means the sat is over in half an hour or so, and who really wants to be playing a £1.60 sat for longer than that? On the other hand, if they went up to 5 min levels it wouldn't bother me. The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't expect their to ever be two different structures running in parrallel. I think they'll run one or the other but not both at the same time.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    For what reason could they not run both? Surely if players like Gary and myself are loathe to play these sats, then why not offer different structures?
  • edited November 2012
    What I mean is they'll either run one or the other (probably) because they won't want to split the fields. Besides which, I don't think enough players at that level really pay much attention to the blind structure of a sat before it starts. The forum is made up of poker enthusiasts/anoraks so we all notice, but Joe Bloggs doesn't. Most just take it as it comes.

The comparison of win rate to HU sng's is not really fair. In a HU game, you can't fold to the win when you reach a particular point. Your ROI in 1/5 satellites should be alot higher than in HU games.
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah that's fair enough 67hboys, I don't see any problem with running both to allow for people who don't like 3 min blinds. They could/should probably just alternate them like 5 min blind game @ 6:15, 3 min game @ 6:45, 5 min game @ 7:15 etc etc, but yeah I was just standing up for them not to be binned. I don't think it's fair to say there's no skill edge Gary, imo it's the same as when people say there's no skill edge at Hypers when there clearly is, it's just not massive.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Your style of play which is??? Push and hope for the best?
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 min blind sats, love em, hate em? : Your style of play which is??? Push and hope for the best?
    Posted by JSTFLIPPIN
    I do attract haters don't I lol.

No, I mean that I am pretty confident in my short stack play and am confident in my ability to exploit others who aren't. People who don't know how wide to shove/call, people who don't realise how bad min-raise/folding from 6xBB is etc etc.

Speed tournaments just required different skills, no different from the fact DYMs require different skills in comparison to cash.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: 3 min blind sats, love em, hate em? : I do attract haters don't I lol. No, I mean that I am pretty confident in my short stack play and am confident in my ability to exploit others who aren't. People who don't know how wide to shove/call, people who don't realise how bad min-raise/folding from 6xBB is etc etc. Speed tournaments just required different skills, no different from the fact DYMs require different skills in comparison to cash.
    Posted by Lambert180
    How am I a hater lol? Just asking but I would call that common sense, which many people on this site don't have I agree.