You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

team sky poker/total player?

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
hi all just got quick question heard a few weeks ago that sky were working on a new things for team sky poker is there any news yet?

also some of us might remember a few years ago sky put together a competiton called total player with 3 mentors picking 6 players for each team out of cash/mtt/stt formats and then working down to final 3 players by doing challenges.And then the sky community had to vote who they thought out the final 3 deserved to win i think it was than dan brown won and he won a vegas package.I think this was a great competition great to watch also the players were gettin coaching from their mentors which is awesome and I would love chance to get coached from likes of scotty/stu rutter/redmond and orford lol if given the chance to take my game to next level.

so just posting see what others think and also see what sky think of doing a competition like this again.

thanks liamboi11

Comments

• edited November 2012
    It was more than a few weeks ago then mentioned a replacement for the league points/TSP thing lol... more like 4 months I think.

But yeah another total player would be great, mentors to be Remond, Ryan and Thewy (time allowing for all)
  • edited November 2012
    As someone who got picked for total player it was a good experience and one I'd love to have the chance to do again.

It was more a case of you get out what you put in, because when it actually came to playing there wasn't that much of a chance for coaching as the mentors were trying to watch 6 people play their different games and not only that, of course they were just seeing blank cards! So was very difficuly for them to actually coach.

My mentor was Matt Broughton and I remember us having an hour long conversation, one lunchtime about strategies. It was a good help even though I narrowly missed out on getting to the second round, but with some of the players I was against in my group I was surprised I even made the shortlist to start with!

It would be great if Sky ran this again, and I imagine it would be easier for them to find good coaches than before with the growing reputation Sky has.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: team sky poker/total player?:
    As someone who got picked for total player it was a good experience and one I'd love to have the chance to do again. It was more a case of you get out what you put in, because when it actually came to playing there wasn't that much of a chance for coaching as the mentors were trying to watch 6 people play their different games and not only that, of course they were just seeing blank cards! So was very difficuly for them to actually coach. My mentor was Matt Broughton and I remember us having an hour long conversation, one lunchtime about strategies. It was a good help even though I narrowly missed out on getting to the second round, but with some of the players I was against in my group I was surprised I even made the shortlist to start with! It would be great if Sky ran this again, and I imagine it would be easier for them to find good coaches than before with the growing reputation Sky has.
    Posted by FlashFlush

Much better to discuss without knowing holecards!
  • edited November 2012
    But even so. The poor guy would of constantly had 6 MSN windows flashing up while trying to give in-depth advice to players that already play a decent standard of poker as it is. Couldn't of been easy for them!
  • edited November 2012
    But even so. The poor guy would of constantly had 6 MSN windows flashing up while trying to give in-depth advice to players that already play a decent standard of poker as it is. Couldn't of been easy for them!
    Posted by FlashFlush

maybe if they played themselves to any level it would have been easier lol
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: team sky poker/total player? : maybe if they played themselves to any level it would have been easier lol
    Posted by beaneh
    lol. Harsh
  • edited November 2012
    mentors were matt broughton,ed giddins and david tuckerman is that right who was dan with again?
  • edited November 2012
    mentors were matt broughton,ed giddins and david tuckerman is that right who was dan with again?
    Posted by liamboi11

Orford*

*may not be true
  • edited November 2012
    Posted by liamboi11
    Not 100% sure but from memory I think it was Ed Giddins.

+1 to bringing back Total Player or something similar, was great fun last time. 

• edited November 2012
    it was in my early days of taking notes - and "tsp player" was one of my most useful ones
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    ok my bad, but whats total player?

• edited November 2012
    ok my bad, but whats total player?
    Posted by mewillows
    Not you ;)

Was before i started using forum, comp where they took a handful of people on here at different limits. Think it was 6 initially per coach and then they had a series of challenges, Dantb10 won.

Defo sounded like it was good and it would generate alot of interest if Sky sold it
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: team sky poker/total player? : Not you ;) Was before i started using forum, comp where they took a handful of people on here at different limits. Think it was 6 initially per coach and then they had a series of challenges, Dantb10 won. Defo sounded like it was good and it would generate alot of interest if Sky sold it
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

I would have a shot if they changed it to total fish or total donk though ;)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: team sky poker/total player? : I would have a shot if they changed it to total fish or total donk though ;)
    Posted by mewillows
    If it was MTT luckbox obv... but wacko would be tough to beat ;)
  • edited November 2012

Another "Total Player" is not out of the question, but please remember all the negative noise Sky Poker got for it, as "choosing" the winners/winner was always going to be so difficult, as it was, by it's very nature, a subjective decision, & it was hard to convey that message. 

The choice of mentors - as this thread shows - was a "no-win" too, as no matter who had been selected as Mentors, they would have got a bit of stick, it's the very nature of many.

A new style & format of "Team Sky Poker" - very different to last time - has been agreed by the Suits, & is being developed as we speak, & will take place quite soon. This landed on my desk recently, & is with me to progress. The timescales are quite tight, as I have been given a target date, which I dare not miss. It is very different to the previous incarnations of TSP. Hopefully, it will be more fun, too. Increasingly, the Business feels we need to reinforce the "poker is fun" message, because for most of us, it is.

• edited November 2012
    I believe the final 3 was dantb10, nutter5932 and sparce, although i havnt seen sparce on the site since
  • edited November 2012
    I believe the final 3 was dantb10, nutter5932 and sparce, although i havnt seen sparce on the site since
    Posted by murray69
    sparce went & got himself a job, a very nice job too, but he still plays here from time to time, but his job is quite demanding, so late nights are a no-no these days.  
  • edited November 2012
    Another "Total Player" is not out of the question, but please remember all the negative noise Sky Poker got for it, as "choosing" the winners/winner was always going to be so difficult, as it was, by it's very nature, a subjective decision, & it was hard to convey that message.  The choice of mentors - as this thread shows - was a "no-win" too, as no matter who had been selected as Mentors, they would have got a bit of stick, it's the very nature of many.   A new style & format of "Team Sky Poker" - very different to last time - has been agreed by the Suits, & is being developed as we speak, & will take place quite soon. This landed on my desk recently, & is with me to progress. The timescales are quite tight, as I have been given a target date, which I dare not miss. It is very different to the previous incarnations of TSP. Hopefully, it will be more fun, too. Increasingly, the Business feels we need to reinforce the "poker is fun" message, because for most of us, it is.        
    Posted by Tikay10

I could begin by moaning how the TSP promotion was removed in April and ask why it's taken 7 months to begin to replace it, but it would be meaningless.

Good post, I really admire your communication with 'the average player' via the forums Tikay. Just receiving updates means so much to me and others' alike. Furthermore I think it's wonderful that Sky has such an outlook that Poker should be fun! I think too many people and Poker organisations alike are losing sight of this. 

I look forward to the release date.

--

Patwalshh

• edited November 2012
    i got in the top ten on one of the shows,i know i know wtf