You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What a couple of months on sky all the hard work has paid of a long journey

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Lil background been playing poker since  2001 

when i was 20 being young and naive at the time money didnt mean that much to me worked alot and saved my money 

i did have a 20 k roll at 1 point in my life then blew it all away on poker n roulletes etc well i wasnt bad at poker bk then just things happen in life 

like my ex who i was with for 4 years didnt help me mentally deal with things i used to play 2/4 on a certain site for a living bk then 

this is when i was happy with my life used to make my money but things happen in my life that spiralled out of control and lost my head i had a 2 year spell where i just blew all my money wasnt focusing etc playing when drunk playing when i let my emotions from real life get involved 

which is never good should always play with a clear head n when focused i could go on about my life n bore u but i wont 

my dad became ill which was a big wake up call for me hes still ill and other people in family has sadly passed away life can be a beep at times i have grown up in the last few years i was silly when younger mixing with wrong people etc 

but now i know how much family means and money i love poker it gets me away from the reality of life and im in my lil bubble i am very comeptitive thats why i love poker i used to be a very good pool player so thats where i get my competitive side from 

poker journey has had its bad times and good times people think i brag all the time might come across like that but if u have a win why not shout about it n tell people i have had some bad times like i said i lost 20 k when i was younger but i was young n silly back then now all the hard work watching poker alot waqtching training videos all paid of tbh i dnt think i play that much different now from back then worked on a few things and has paid of 

deposited £50 1st week from october and now have over 2k i have been very disciplined in these 2 months have suprised myself how discpilined i have been i usually take shots etc playing 100 nl but i have no job and poker is my income paying rent food etc so i have to be a bit of a nit now 

well heres a lil bit about my background of my life i would go into more detail about my dad but upsets me when i chat about him love him loads 

from steve run good at the tables

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Glad to know things are working out well again for you mate you seem to be turning things around and going about it the right way.
  • edited November 2012
    Well done Steve glad to hear you seem to be turning things around. Just stay away from those bookies!
  • ckdckd
    edited November 2012
    well done mate 

really sorry to hear that you have had a bad run over the last set of years but remember .. what does not kill you only makes you stronger ... life is full of ups and downs its how we handle it that makes us who we are and it looks like you have come out better 

hope you continue to run well 

best wishes to you and your family and hope you all have a really good Christmas 

• edited November 2012
    Alright Steve nice to read your post mate :). Certain parts remind me of my young life already such as the losing a decent amount of money and the situation with your ex. Mine left me about a month ago after 3 years mate and it was the worst thing ever. I had a problem with bookies roulette but have now got over that and havent even been in a bookies for a month.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Steve

Nice read fella. You should reread this when you get on edge or start throwing cash away. Try to stand back and reassess what you're doing more. I'm jealous of your poker success. I'm about break even after a year but i put a lot of effort into study and feel at times like i'm not getting just reward for it. TBH, i'm not sure if i'm cut out for the game. I hate gambling and don't myself but see poker as requiring more skill. I don't multi to level the variance more as i see less enjoyment in that. Maybe a T and a dym at the same time.  A small profit would be acceptable to me and respect from other players. I wonder whether poker attracts certain types of personalities and weeds them out callously by putting losses on them.
    I'll probably buy in to a SPT( maybe Dublin and take my girlfriend for a few days away before and afterwards) and get to meet players i've 'chatted' with on the site and facebook with THS. The DTD  is good fun too and the programmes can be enjoyable too but if it came to large losses then i'd pack it in if the enjoyment didn't outmatch the financial outlay.  I wonder if some players just can't do that  because of their personality. It's the buzz of the occasional win that keeps them going. Are there good poker players who don't like other forms of gambling? What do you think?
    PS My aim is to give you a good hammering at the tables one day Steve, so beware!!!
  • edited November 2012
    thanks guys for ya nice messages 

been a bad few years tbh my dad had a stroke few years ago and hes never gonna get any better just have to deal with the fact he will never get better i should see him more then i do but when i do see him it upsets me alot as he crys sometimes in pain and the fact i cant do anything about it is the hardest thing hes lost so much weight aswell only 7 stone used to be 14 stone hard to deal with if i could give up all my bankroll for my dad to be better i would do that now no mmoney can buy love and the love i have for my dad no money can buy :/
  • edited November 2012
    i played u a few times proffman n from what i see you have deffo got a game dnt put yaself down u could give any 1 a good game im pretty sure of that just dnt level yourself i do that if i see a reg on the same table as me i try n outplay them with funky moves etc when really u should just play your normal game forget about the player u are up against just play the same if u was playing a average joe 
  • ckdckd
    edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: What a couple of months on sky all the hard work has paid of a long journey:
    thanks guys for ya nice messages  been a bad few years tbh my dad had a stroke few years ago and hes never gonna get any better just have to deal with the fact he will never get better i should see him more then i do but when i do see him it upsets me alot as he crys sometimes in pain and the fact i cant do anything about it is the hardest thing hes lost so much weight aswell only 7 stone used to be 14 stone hard to deal with if i could give up all my bankroll for my dad to be better i would do that now no mmoney can buy love and the love i have for my dad no money can buy :/
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    i lost my dad back in 2000 mate he was in hospital for a few days and it was really hard to see him like he was so know what you mean 

the only thing i can say and i don't mean to be nasty so sorry if it does sound   but you need to deal with it and see him as much as you can because when it does come time that he passes you will regret not spending more time with him...i only say this as i did when my dad passed and when its to late there's nothing you can do to change it...i know its hard to deal with but just think that you still have him you can still talk to him ... again sorry if it sounds bad i don't mean it to 

• edited November 2012
    no your right ckd i have to come to terms with the fact he will never get better n see him more often like u say if i dnt see him i will regret it that i didnt spend that much time with him 
  • ckdckd
    edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: What a couple of months on sky all the hard work has paid of a long journey:
    no your right ckd i have to come to terms with the fact he will never get better n see him more often like u say if i dnt see him i will regret it that i didnt spend that much time with him 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

sorry if it was harsh mate 

just saying it as i have been there and had to live with it after 

anyway i hope you have a good christmas with him and your family 

keep it up with the good results too .... wish i could lol 
  • edited November 2012
    This is now where poker could get interesting for you Steve.

You have a nice roll now and there WILL be temptation to take a shot at a bigger game or buying in direct to bigger tournies.  Even taking out a bit of your roll to do certain things.  You have to resist these urges.

As you say, you don't have a job, so this could be a nice income for you if you manage your money right. 

Keep on the right track.  I would say don't play cash above 40nl, keep playing your tournies/SnGs/satelittes for biggers games etc.  This should enable you to take some of your profits to cover your living costs out while also keep building your roll. 

Poker has enabled me to help out my family (my Mum isn't well and can't work full time) and friends financially too and has eased off the pressure in so many real life situations.

I hope that it can help you in a similar way too.  Know that this post is a bit boring but hey thats me :)
  • edited November 2012
    Nice to see you're doing well IDCU. Listen to Ryan and don't go blowing it all on taking anymore shots.
  • edited November 2012
    thanks scotty for your post 

well i do play 50 nl some nites but wont play any higher i make a nice profit in frenzies so i will always play them if i dnt sat into a main event its simple i just dont play it :) 

theres still plenty of other mtts i like around the time main event starts like 2.20 scarey mtt £5.50 mtt 50 gtd and other mtts i havent played cash that much this month as i feel i dnt have as much edge on them as i do with mtt and sng tables 

i try n make money each day on frenzies to pay for mt mtts at nite so far its been going ok mainly i only pay £5.50 buy ins i wont pay any more unless its a dym i play the odd 22 game i always try sats to get in a bigger mtt im trying to get in the 30k 1 sunday be a good mtt that 1 
  • edited November 2012

Ground. Feet. Keep. Firmly Your. On't.    ;)

wd tho, love your brag threads. Mainly coz most people hate em :)

Keep it going, still think u got big attitude problems which are holding you back from improving/winning even more. You're still pretty stubborn in the clinic and refuse to lsiten sometimes even when better players are disagreeing with you. 

vwd on the discipline tho. Poker players are beatable, bookies and roulette machines aren't. 

• edited November 2012
    i think your risk of ruin is way too high playing nl50 with 40buyins. if you are doing it for a living with not much of a back up plan you really hsould have 100buy in minimum imo. gl
  • edited November 2012
    nice post m8 and keep up the good work on the tables.
  • edited November 2012
    thanks matt n liam 
  • edited November 2012
    Hi m8.Kept a wee eye on your threads for a while now and it seems you're deffo turnin a corner re your own outlook on life since we first came into contact on these forums.Hope you continue to run good on the table and run better off it :)).Chin up lad.
    Be good
    Paul
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    Keep it up, discipline will involve stepping down from NL50 when things don't go so well -
    Doesn't matter how good you are, sometimes thing don't go your way -
    + you don't have the BR to suffer high swings at nl50 tbh

good luck - ps. I love a good brag thread )
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to What a couple of months on sky all the hard work has paid of a long journey:
    Lil background been playing poker since  2001  when i was 20 being young and naive at the time money didnt mean that much to me worked alot and saved my money  i did have a 20 k roll at 1 point in my life then blew it all away on poker n roulletes etc well i wasnt bad at poker bk then just things happen in life  like my ex who i was with for 4 years didnt help me mentally deal with things i used to play 2/4 on a certain site for a living bk then  this is when i was happy with my life used to make my money but things happen in my life that spiralled out of control and lost my head i had a 2 year spell where i just blew all my money wasnt focusing etc playing when drunk playing when i let my emotions from real life get involved  which is never good should always play with a clear head n when focused i could go on about my life n bore u but i wont  my dad became ill which was a big wake up call for me hes still ill and other people in family has sadly passed away life can be a beep at times i have grown up in the last few years i was silly when younger mixing with wrong people etc  but now i know how much family means and money i love poker it gets me away from the reality of life and im in my lil bubble i am very comeptitive thats why i love poker i used to be a very good pool player so thats where i get my competitive side from  poker journey has had its bad times and good times people think i brag all the time might come across like that but if u have a win why not shout about it n tell people i have had some bad times like i said i lost 20 k when i was younger but i was young n silly back then now all the hard work watching poker alot waqtching training videos all paid of tbh i dnt think i play that much different now from back then worked on a few things and has paid of  deposited £50 1st week from october and now have over 2k i have been very disciplined in these 2 months have suprised myself how discpilined i have been i usually take shots etc playing 100 nl but i have no job and poker is my income paying rent food etc so i have to be a bit of a nit now  well heres a lil bit about my background of my life i would go into more detail about my dad but upsets me when i chat about him love him loads  from steve run good at the tables
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    What is clear is that you wear your heart on your sleeve, I can see from your posts you are a genuine person who just wants everything to be ok in life, even in your brags! Poker is a big part of your life but family is more important, well played sir.

In the last 5 years I have gone through contracting a serious illness, divorce, redundancy and almost losing my house after getting fired from a job earlier this year.

If the truth be known, I am a nightmare on the poker table always getting narky when I get done by the two outer but there are a million and one reasons for this.

But now I am trying to rebuild my life, my ex employer rescinded my dismissal after I took professional advice and they realised it would be bad publicity for them(if you get what I mean). I also got a new job at the same time , really good firm in the city one of the colleagues is a spurs fan but you cant have everything!

The next stage is to get my housing situation sorted and meet a new woman, preferably a gooner poker chic ;)

As for the poker, I have on three occasions turned less than £50 quid into more than £1000. My A game makes money, my B and C games loses it (mainly because of monkey tilt). My aim is to sort this out, get more disciplined and try to cut out the chat (apart from with one player who deserves it!). I wont be playing much but just as important as winning is enjoying the game. 

Its always interesting to hear peoples stories so this is myne, you find out soo much more about people in these sorts of threads. GL IDCU up the gunners!

• edited November 2012
    a great read ace gooner and a gooner like myself have few things in common 

good luck at the tables and tnx for having time to post :)
  • edited November 2012
    Good luck fella, hope it works out for you.  Stay focused and have a plan for everything, like:-

- Winning a shed tonne of monies 
    - Studying the game
    - Plan a roadmap for making 6 figures a year/Or a decent job in your local area
    - Downswings, Tilt, Getting bored, Bad auto piloting
    - Playing games you shouldn't 
    - Bankroll Leakage 

Have a think about what controls your going to put in place to deal with the above/and more.  

Once you get a >5K BR things get easier financially, i.e. you can start living well finaically depending on how much you print per month on Sky and use C4P as salary. Getting from 2K to 5K is harder then getting to 5K to 10K imo 

Focus focus focus
    mitigate mitigate mitigate
    print print print 

=Winnar