You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this poorly played?

Hi Peoples,
After a poor evening with some irritating suck outs, my confidence is low and i'm questioning so much now. Please dismantle this hand and give me your perspective from pot odds, getting involved  even.

Unfortunatelt the cut/paste has refused to work for the nth day now so please be patient....

This is the THS Donk-a-Fun and i'm 3rd /26.
My stack 3020  HAND Kc 7c BTN,
 villains(sorry team-mates)  2010 bb
blinds 30/60
fairly loose table with Hitman_RV involving himself thogh Greghogg was strangely quiet.
Playing any two within reason here as i've a good stack and this may become a good pot on the right flop.
 I min raise to 120. bb calls.

FLOP   Ac, Jc, Qs

This could be a cracker for me and should have hit bb's range firmly. I expect him to bet ut or rer.
pot=210. He checks, i raise to 135, he rer to 405, i call. pot is now 1080

TURN 8h...... he bets half pot(540).....i hesitantly call.....pot=2160

RIVER Qd ..... check/check.
He wins pot w/ AJ for two pair. He hasn't reraised pre flop so has hidden his hand but i expect him to be ahead.

With 12 nut outs should i be donig this? Bluff isn't on on the river is it? Was this attempt worth it in your opinion? Would you have done this? What would you have done? Yes fold pre but i haven't and surely the flop was tempting?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Get in in on the flop he is not going away when he raises the flop he has a perfect stack size for you to 4 bet jam the flop and you have loads of outs.  If another club or a 10 comes on the turn it could kill your action.  We could smooth call his 3 bet if we were super deep but hes only playing 26 bigs behind so im looking to get it in.
  • edited November 2012
    I disagree with bearlyther. I think the way you played it is fine. You don't want to be shoving a flop when the pot is 750 and you have about 3k behind. I think you played it well to just flat call, and when he only half pot bets the turn thats a call as well, if he 3/4 or more then it's a fold on the turn.

The trouble with shoving the flop is yes you have the flush draw outs and the 10, but you said "This would of smacked the BB's range" which says to me you're putting him on 2 pair. In which case you may have 12 outs to win the hand, but if he makes a house then your drawing dead...

Your still there to live another day which is what MTTs are about, and shoving either the flop or turn he is calling. Only the river you could get a fold, but that would be very player dependant
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Prof.

In this spot I usually get it all-in on the flop - Sometimes I hit sometimes I don't, but we have plenty of outs and I think oppo has no option but to make the call here. If you hit any one of your outs with 2 cards to come, then you take down a monsta(ish) pot.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Is this poorly played?:
    I disagree with bearlyther. I think the way you played it is fine. You don't want to be shoving a flop when the pot is 750 and you have about 3k behind. I think you played it well to just flat call, and when he only half pot bets the turn thats a call as well, if he 3/4 or more then it's a fold on the turn. The trouble with shoving the flop is yes you have the flush draw outs and the 10, but you said "This would of smacked the BB's range" which says to me you're putting him on 2 pair. In which case you may have 12 outs to win the hand, but if he makes a house then your drawing dead... Your still there to live another day which is what MTTs are about, and shoving either the flop or turn he is calling. Only the river you could get a fold, but that would be very player dependant
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Hi Flush.
    I do like your analogy here - very well explained.

I'm still happy to take the risk most of the time - but on this occasion your explaination does sway me a little.
  • edited November 2012
    with blinds this low i'm still 2.5 or 3x on the button.
    makes the pot that bit bigger and makes it a little easier to take the aggro/bearlyther line.
  • edited November 2012
    It really could be played either way. What ever you decided nobody would say "That's wrong" I'm more cautious though with my style. Doing the maths you are still a slight underdog so if your under the impression he is never folding then your getting it all in behind, where as only calling there is potential for you to lose out on chips if you hit, but with his stack and the line he has taken I can't see him hero folding on a club.