You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best books for Christmas???

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Just got off the phone to my Auntie and she was asking me what i wanted for Christmas

I told her i,d like a book on poker but havent got a clue which one to go for

I was think about Harrington on Cash, but am i right in thinking there are several different editions of this?
I also thought about "The mental game of poker" but as i like to think i don,t tilt would it still be worth getting or is it mainly for players who tilt?

The only book i have is "Winning tornaments one hand a time" volume 2 and my mate has volume 1 so i can borrow that

Or is there any new books out - esp. with Christmas coming up?

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated ( I do play tourneys and cash and wouldn,t mind a book that covers both)

Thx

Paul

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Hi MP

Vicky Coren's is special . Gus Hansen's is a good read through a whole tourna,ment and Mike Matusow's has you thinking "mmmm, something dodgy here!"
  • edited November 2012
    Really depends if you want a good interesting read like Gus Hansen's 'Every Hand Revealed' or a book to improve your game.

Fun = Gus Hansen

Improving = Harrington on Hold 'em, The Theory of Poker (by Sklansky), Kill Everyone are all good reads.
  • edited November 2012
    Ya Auntie says...If you don't know....how the fcek am I supposed to know!  She also says, that other book..what's it called..  "Winning tourneys one hand at a time?"  Well she says that was a WASTE of money! ;-)))

• edited November 2012
    I have read Gus Hansen's 'Every Hand Revealed'.

It is such a great book in everyway. It is great for entertainment but it also taught me so much and improved my game no end to the point where I regularly cash in tournaments. Best poker book I have read!
  • edited November 2012
    i cant comment really as dnt do books as i think they are dated 

i think best way tolearn is play watch training videos watch alot of poker on tv etc
  • edited November 2012

Get this, & it will change your life, & how you view life, for ever more.

I cannot think of many books that will open your eyes more to the wonders of life, & the extraordinary place we inhabit, "Earth", not to mention the very miracle of life.

I must have over 1,000 books, they are my greatest treasure, but if I had to choose just one to take to my Desert Island, or my Prison Cell, or read whilst my (fictional) wife was watching X-Factor or some similar tosh, it would be this, no question about it.

• edited November 2012
    Hi Paul,

In poker terms, the Gus Hansen and Victoria Coren books mentioned above are raved about and I think they have a bit of a 'story' side to them.

There are 3 volumes to Harrington, well, two and then the third is a book of hand quizzes. I personally wouldn't go for 'The Mental Game of Poker' if you're only looking at getting one book as a present (although it is a great book it's obviously very specific to the mental game.

From your post, I would go for Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time Vol 3. It's just lately been released and was eagerly anticipated (although I haven't read it yet). I would guess it's likely to do the most for your game if that's a big factor for you.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Best books for Christmas???:
    Ya Auntie says...If you don't know....how the fcek am I supposed to know!  She also says, that other book..what's it called..  "Winning tourneys one hand at a time?"  Well she says that was a WASTE of money! ;-)))
    Posted by Glenelg
    I wouldnt say that but the only reason i wouldnt get Gus Hansens book is that they are written similar - pl going through a tournament to win - showing the main hands and thoughts behind it - sound a bit the same
  • edited November 2012
    Really depends if you want a good interesting read like Gus Hansen's 'Every Hand Revealed' or a book to improve your game. Fun = Gus Hansen Improving = Harrington on Hold 'em, The Theory of Poker (by Sklansky), Kill Everyone are all good reads.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sounds a bit harsh but whats that like - Does it cover cash and tourneys?
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Paul, In poker terms, the Gus Hansen and Victoria Coren books mentioned above are raved about and I think they have a bit of a 'story' side to them. There are 3 volumes to Harrington, well, two and then the third is a book of hand quizzes. I personally wouldn't go for 'The Mental Game of Poker' if you're only looking at getting one book as a present (although it is a great book it's obviously very specific to the mental game. From your post, I would go for Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time Vol 3. It's just lately been released and was eagerly anticipated (although I haven't read it yet). I would guess it's likely to do the most for your game if that's a big factor for you.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Might get another one of someone else - Hadnt heard of VOL.3 .

I,ll probably go for something of this page tho and try and mix up with playing plenty of hands aswell .I,m certainly no book worm - Takes me ages to read them. A bit dyslexic

Thx
  • edited November 2012
    Get this, & it will change your life, & how you view life, for ever more. I cannot think of many books that will open your eyes more to the wonders of life, & the extraordinary place we inhabit, "Earth", not to mention the very miracle of life. I must have over 1,000 books, they are my greatest treasure, but if I had to choose just one to take to my Desert Island, or my Prison Cell, or read whilst my (fictional) wife was watching X-Factor or some similar tosh, it would be this, no question about it.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Looks like a big book - Like i,.ve said i,m no book worm - Only read 3 since left school - A book about the Krays , Ronnie Biggs book and 3.4 way through "one hand a time -vol 2)

Decent poker books arnt cheap either.

Could i get youys from the library? I,d give it a go

Ps - Just noticed "The ask Tikay Thread above this on page 2 and locked "

has it had its day?
  • edited November 2012
    Hi mp if it is a book to improve your game then dont get Vicky Coren's book,this book is not a book teaching you how to play poker.However if it is a decent read you are after then i have to say Vicky's book is brilliant.

It is one of the best books i have ever read,she is brutally honest and comes across as a really nice person.It is funny and sad and after you read it you feel as if you really know Vicky.
  • edited November 2012
    @MP33 - Killing Everyone is mostly just covering MTTs, also talks about Nash Equilibriums which are a must to understand if you play HU SnGs. The reason for the harsh title is that it's following up from a book called Kill Phil, which I believe was basically about how to beat people like Phil Helmuth/Ivey (not sure which one inspired the name) in MTTs, the kinda people who will just pile on the aggression non stop.

So that one was about beating them mega aggro, strong players, and this one is about beating everyone :p

@ JohnConnor - I've got Vol 1 + 2 of Winning Poker Tournaments: One Hand at a Time. I didn't realise there was a Vol 3.... might have to get it on my Xmas list, so cheers for posting about it.
  • edited November 2012
    @MP33 - Killing Everyone is mostly just covering MTTs, also talks about Nash Equilibriums which are a must to understand if you play HU SnGs. The reason for the harsh title is that it's following up from a book called Kill Phil, which I believe was basically about how to beat people like Phil Helmuth/Ivey (not sure which one inspired the name) in MTTs, the kinda people who will just pile on the aggression non stop. So that one was about beating them mega aggro, strong players, and this one is about beating everyone :p @ JohnConnor - I've got Vol 1 + 2 of Winning Poker Tournaments: One Hand at a Time. I didn't realise there was a Vol 3.... might have to get it on my Xmas list, so cheers for posting about it.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thats a new one - sounds slightly complicated
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Best books for Christmas??? : Thats a new one - sounds slightly complicated
    Posted by MP33
    Lol, basically it's just a table of hands you should be shoving with and calling with from different sized stacks (blinds-wise).

So it will say, if you have 8xBB you should shove with these hands, and call with these hands, and it's a way to make your shoving unexploitable. If your opponent plays exactly the same then everything is even, if you're opponent is too tight with his calling range (as most people are), you gain cos they fold too much when stacks are shallow and just hand you the chip lead risk-free. If they're too loose with their calling range, again you gain cos they're calling with hands that are behind to your shoving range.

So you can't go wrong :)  Absolutely essential for playing Hypers because so much of the game will be like 10-15xBB deep.

EDIT: Just google 'Nash Equilibrium' and you'll see a table which shows shoving/calling ranges by stack size. You don't need to know it off by heart, but have a rough idea.
  • edited November 2012
    Get this, & it will change your life, & how you view life, for ever more. I cannot think of many books that will open your eyes more to the wonders of life, & the extraordinary place we inhabit, "Earth", not to mention the very miracle of life. I must have over 1,000 books, they are my greatest treasure, but if I had to choose just one to take to my Desert Island, or my Prison Cell, or read whilst my (fictional) wife was watching X-Factor or some similar tosh, it would be this, no question about it.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1, 

i am 2/3 into this, its pretty good, a lot of info to take in mind. 
  • edited November 2012
    ill be on to that straight away tikay
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Best books for Christmas??? : Lol, basically it's just a table of hands you should be shoving with and calling with from different sized stacks (blinds-wise). So it will say, if you have 8xBB you should shove with these hands, and call with these hands, and it's a way to make your shoving unexploitable. If your opponent plays exactly the same then everything is even, if you're opponent is too tight with his calling range (as most people are), you gain cos they fold too much when stacks are shallow and just hand you the chip lead risk-free. If they're too loose with their calling range, again you gain cos they're calling with hands that are behind to your shoving range. So you can't go wrong :)  Absolutely essential for playing Hypers because so much of the game will be like 10-15xBB deep. EDIT: Just google 'Nash Equilibrium' and you'll see a table which shows shoving/calling ranges by stack size. You don't need to know it off by heart, but have a rough idea.
    Posted by Lambert180
    No wonder u beat me in that hyper HU comp
  • edited November 2012
    One hand at a time volume 3 is on my christmas list!

Ihave 2 books for sale,if any one is interested!  (£5 +£3 postage)

Play Poker Like The Pros by Phil Hellmuth,JR.
    +
    Secrets of Sit'n'gos by Phil Shaw

Both these books are like new(They both cost about £15 new)

First one to post on here can have them! Good value!

I believe you pick up something from every book you read!

The more you read, the more information you glean!
  • edited November 2012
    One hand at a time volume 3 is on my christmas list! Ihave 2 books for sale,if any one is interested!  (£5 +£3 postage) Play Poker Like The Pros by Phil Hellmuth,JR. + Secrets of Sit'n'gos by Phil Shaw Both these books are like new(They both cost about £15 new) First one to post on here can have them! Good value! I believe you pick up something from every book you read! The more you read, the more information you glean!
    Posted by wynne1938

I,ll take them pls

I,ll Pm you about postage

Thx
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Best books for Christmas??? : I,ll take them pls I,ll Pm you about postage Thx
    Posted by MP33
    Done,itis yours,thanks.
    Will Pm you!
  • edited November 2012
    Fooled by Randomness imo
  • edited November 2012

Poker 4 Dummies
  • edited November 2012
    The mental game of poker. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mental-Game-Poker-Jared-Tendler/dp/0615436137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353972506&sr=8-1
    Posted by bearlyther
    Cheers Bearly - Not as much as i thought, Also got a £5 amazon voucher so will probably use it for that