You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Stepping up in Freerolls

I always seem to cash in freerolls, on the daily £20 ones on Sky, i usually cash between 8 and 20 pence. I can never seem to take it to the next level, blinds start to eat me then i loosin my calling range and just get out flopped alot.

This may sound like a newbie Question but this is really starting to bug me now as i am usually fine in cash MTTs.

Any tips much appreciated.

Cheers.

:)~

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Stepping up in Freerolls:
    I always seem to cash in freerolls, on the daily £20 ones on Sky, i usually cash between 8 and 20 pence. I can never seem to take it to the next level, blinds start to eat me then i loosin my calling range and just get out flopped alot. This may sound like a newbie Question but this is really starting to bug me now as i am usually fine in cash MTTs. Any tips much appreciated. Cheers. :)~
    Posted by Craig1360
    GET YA CHIPS IN 1ST DON'T CALL THEM OFF (UNLESS YOU HAVE A MONSTER) AND IF YOU AIM TO WIN DON'T WATCH THE CASH BUBBLE AS ONCE YOU'VE SCRAPED IN YOUR STACK MAY BE TOO LOW IN RELATION TO THE BLINDS ANYWAY
  • edited July 2009
    Yes pretty much the same thing as penny-less here too many players slow down towards the cash bubble and their chips start to wimper away as they are waiting for the bubble to go my advice would be to maybe make more moves around this time as ppl wont go all in gambling until the bubble has gone i try and wait and pick my spots to raise pots and take the blinds just build your stack slowly but regurlarly
  • edited July 2009

Very helpful although same happened again in the 14:00 freeroll, finished 19th i think.

lol :)~

• edited July 2009
    if you are fine in cash mtt's then why do you play £20 freerolls, when you would have to finish 1st out of hundreds of runners to make about a fiver. play small mtt's with smaller fields and then blinds would go up every 10m ins in most tournies so you wouldnt be forced to play certain ways in relation to the blinds and you would cash for alot more money when you do get into the cash!?
  • edited July 2009
    Thats all good and well providing you are not as skint as me LOL Its been a bad month financially so im on the freerolls unfortunatly for a while.
  • edited July 2009
    It is my opinion that freerolls should only be used as a way of learning the fundamentals of the game because it doesn't cost you anything either way.

They should not be grinded in day-in-day-out, because the return is never significant enough for the effort (especially the Sky freerolls as the prize pools are usually very small) so therefore they should never be taken that seriously in terms of results.

• edited July 2009

very much taken on board but i take it similar as to a training session in football, i am living up to the o'sheas, the, gilbertos, the pavylechenkos, but not the (ex) ronaldos, fabregas's , cant think of a top class spurs player but do you understand where i am getting at??

At the moment i do not have a bankroll, i do not try and make money out of the game (Yet) I just like to win which i know i can ((( Insert Owen Brochure here)))) just not in these freerolls.

dont mean to sound big headed but might it be because of the sort of player you would find in these freerolls.

Cheers

:)

• edited July 2009
    The main ingredient to the freeroll is to be patient for the first half hour or so.(unless the monster hand comes)
    The blinds go up fairly quickly and there is a lot of jostling for position.PLAY BIG HANDS ONLY being careful not to commit all in pre flop.Once you have seen the flop and hit many opponents in freerolls bet out anyway thinking of doubling up or staying with the rat race!
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Stepping up in Freerolls:
    I always seem to cash in freerolls, on the daily £20 ones on Sky, i usually cash between 8 and 20 pence. I can never seem to take it to the next level, blinds start to eat me then i loosin my calling range and just get out flopped alot. This may sound like a newbie Question but this is really starting to bug me now as i am usually fine in cash MTTs. Any tips much appreciated. Cheers. :)~
    Posted by Craig1360
    easy m8 dont play free role it helps to damage ur game as there is no % to win good £s . only my opinion like ;) . i find keepin well away and do what u no best in mtt £ game. to many < />< 4 me on free role's good 4 fun only regards bull.
  • edited July 2009
    ie; readin some other note's account low go for it lol...
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Stepping up in Freerolls:
    It is my opinion that freerolls should only be used as a way of learning the fundamentals of the game because it doesn't cost you anything either way. They should not be grinded in day-in-day-out, because the return is never significant enough for the effort (especially the Sky freerolls as the prize pools are usually very small) so therefore they should never be taken that seriously in terms of results.  
    Posted by YoungUn
    well said youngun , practice only
    ;=0