You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help! Community help required for the SUPER ROLLER

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat

Time for this Community to show its true colours.

Several lower-bankrolled players have written to me in similar vein in the last day or so. Each of them have won a SUPER ROLLER seat for a few quid, but have never played such a big Tourney, & wanted a little advice.

I just offer them good A-B-C stuff, & tell them to enjoy the ride.

What advice would YOU give to a player who is in tonight's SUPER ROLLER but has never played a Tourney above a £10 Buy-In previously?

I will send a link to this thread to each of those who wrote to me. 

Thanks.  

Comments

• edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012

Lol.

Excellent start!

Thanks.
  • edited November 2012
    On a more balanced note: Just don't worry about not being as good as anyone else. There will be worse players than you in the tournament and there will be better players than you. You're not going to improve your game very much between now and the start of the tournament, so just go into it, do your best and don't be too nervous about it.

It's inevitable that you'll be nervous for a while, just like the rest of us, but you'll settle in after a wee while. Then enjoy it.
  • ckdckd
    edited November 2012

dont be bullied into pots or off pots by bigger players 

remember you won your seat into the game so you must be able to play to of got there so just play the same as you always do 

but remember as well its just a game so have fun and it will go better for you 

gl all 
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    You will have a great starting stack , 10K,  with a very good strcuture.  So you will have plenty of time to play.  

Patience is a virtue in this type of tourny, particualy at the start, 

Remember if you find that you are down to 8000 chips and average is 12000 with the blinds at 50/100, there is no reason to panic.  You still have 80 BB's , that is a hugh amount of play so....  to quote the greatest book ever...

DON'T PANIC ;o)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Help! Community help required for the SUPER ROLLER:
    You will have a great starting stack , 10K,  with a very good strcuture.  So you will have plenty of time to play.   Patience is a virtue in this type of tourny, particualy at the start,  Remember if you find that you are down to 8000 chips and average is 12000 with the blinds at 50/100, there is no reason to panic.  You still have 80 BB's , that is a hugh amount of play so....  to quote the greatest book ever... DON'T PANIC ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    And there I was thinking you were a Dads Army fan, and I totaly agree with everything you say

• edited November 2012
    DON'T BE OVER-AWED!!!

Attack Each situation with the confidence of Someone who deserves to be there as a Brilliant qualifier!!

If Nervous, dont show it, maybe just settle in nice tite & slow!!

You have chips tho, so earlier rather than later, chuck in the odd 3-bet, with strength to show you wont be bullied!!

In Poker, as in Life....Always look Strong & IN CONTROL!! [even if inside that not the case!! lol]

If you have a bit of Rail, stay focused, dont get over-involved if at all!!

GL..... Cya at final table!!

[ps i aint been running good as you, i've had to buy in]
  • edited November 2012
    Dont be scared, play your A game and just make sure you make good decisions

Oh yeah the main thing, Enjoy it!
  • edited November 2012
    Some of the "bigger" players may view you as weak/inexperienced and can be bullied.
    Use this to your advantage when you have a big hand and take them to the cleaners! :-)
  • edited November 2012

Firstly good luck, there always seems to be a story of someone getting to the final table from a sat so why cant it be you!

Play your own game!
    Always think of your stack in terms of no. of blinds and not average stack.
    Ideally you will cash but lots of players wont so you can still gain by learning from the experience and improving your game as a result of it.

I agree with the don't limp coment but I know players will....and I look forward to them doing it!

• edited November 2012

Remember that you will not win the tourney in the first hour.........but you can lose it!!

Patience is the key.
  • edited November 2012

play your normal game.  don't change because of size.  your game was good enough to get you there.  if you try and play like redmond lee you'll find out that you can't and go out more quickly. 

play your normal game, you're good enough.

• edited November 2012
       Never start a fight from a position of weakness
  • edited November 2012
       Never start a fight from a position of weakness
    Posted by goldenb238
    who you looking at?  you spilt my pint mate...

• edited November 2012
    Go to the toilet before you start.
  • edited November 2012
    dont be bullied into folding the best hand just play this big buy in as u would play any tournament dont think about the money as u got in cheap play fearlezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    First: 1/10/2010
    Last: 25/11/2012
    RAISE!!!!

First: 4/7/2009
    Last: 25/11/2012
    ALL IN

All of the above at the appropriate times
  • edited November 2012
    Not everyone will agree with this, but these are my thoughts.

Early Stages- Don't fall in love with 1 pair hands. if someone is betting strongly and you only have 1 pair (even top pair top kicker) then just let it go. Pot control and discipline.  Key is to make it through to the mid stages without stacking off with a 1 pair hand. Conversely if you have a monster, try to avoid trapping, just bet it hard for value unless you have reads that someone is very aggressive.

Mid Stages- when the blinds start to go up, don't be bullied but avoid calling out of position. Try a cheeky light 3 bet when someone is bullying alot and see it though with a barrel on the flop/turn. Its amazing how often u can get good players to fold if you were previously passive and you start to show "strength" all of a sudden

Latter Stages- BE BRAVE. You qualified from a small buyin, so that money is gone. Now is the chance to win big, so aggression in position is the key. Lots of stealing in position where the stacks allow. Know when you are calling off a shove when you min raise from late position and when you are folding. Also... You are never usually that far behind if you get your money in first.  Avoid limping and playing poker with less than 12-15 big blinds. Light 3 bet shoves with up to 20 bigs are the way forward to accumulate chips against good players. 

In summary, enjoy it, be brave, call less, bet more and try cheeky moves as they are fun and will confuse people. Be observant, find the value like you would in any tournament and play accordingly. 

Good Luck 

• edited November 2012
    Great Advice Gregg!!
  • edited November 2012
    If you find yourself with around 12 bbs and someone raises never call the raise its either allin or fold.
  • edited November 2012
    ALL IN
    Posted by SoLack
    Unbeleivable advice from such a Nit!! :)

My Advice
    Dont get drawn into a battle against a serial raiser out of frustration.
  • edited November 2012

Don't bluff fish and punish the nits. Make them cry. 
  • edited November 2012
    Everyone starts with the same number of chips.  Reputations mean nothing, don't be timid, don't be intimidated if you never or rarely played a game this large.  Play your game your way, have fun and ignore idiots.  Best of luck.
  • edited November 2012
    I'm sure it's been mentioned before SELF BELIEF is the key to Success!
    Nip off to the bathroom now!!!
    Look in that mirror!!!
    The face that's looking back at you, Is the one that qualified against all odds for the biggest tournament on SKY POKER.
    Qualifying is the hard part!!! and you've done that already!!! tonight will be a breeze!!!
    Read Hoggers post one more time, then go into battle!!!
    That Smile in the mirror will be even bigger when you cash big later tonight!!!
    Good Luck!!!
  • edited November 2012
    Everyone starts with the same number of chips.  Reputations mean nothing, don't be timid, don't be intimidated if you never or rarely played a game this large.  Play your game your way, have fun and ignore idiots.  Best of luck.
    Posted by TommyD
    How does this work????

You have a good post then tell people not to listen to you?
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Help! Community help required for the SUPER ROLLER : How does this work???? You have a good post then tell people not to listen to you?
    Posted by MattBates
    I like paradoxes.
  • edited November 2012
    ABC

you won´t win trying to be someone you are not

so play your normal game - it you hit you hit - if you miss you miss

just keep your fingers crossed that the poker gods are on your side tonight

and all else i can say is gl gl & gl