You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weird Spot, NL100 Thoughts?

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic
One of the regs in a cash game I regularly play asked me to post this hand.  We've talked about it a fair bit but cant seem to agree, so would be good to hear some other peoples views if your willing.

Am going to lay out reads and table dynamic, but this hand mostly concerns action at the turn and is very situational.  Am not asking what line we like over a volume of hands, just in this specific spot.

8 handed NL100.  Action goes HU on flop so will only give the approximate stack size of myself and opponent.

The straddle has been on most of the evening, with half the table opting to restraddle, so its a pretty lively table.

In this hand the restraddle is on.  Opponent is a solid thinking player, who switches gears alot.  I'd say closer to TAG than anything else, but does open his game up well, punishing position pretty consistently.  With this in mind he has been pretty mercillessly attacking the re straddles from the button.  Opponent plays well through streets and will comfortably peel when 3bet IP vs people who he knows he has an edge over.  So all in all a pretty tricky opponent :P (have played at the same tables consistently for at least 3 years)

Game has been running for about 5 hours, I am about 450bbs deep and he has me comfortably covered.  My image is significantly rockier than his.

S0:  NL100, straddle restraddle, opponent makes it £12 from the button.  I am in the SB and find AcKc.  Sometimes I'll flat here sometimes I'll 3bet.  On this occassion I decide to 3bet, mainly to get HU and because I believe Oppo will peel pretty wide IP.  But being prepard to tread carefully post as there is going to be a lot of levelling between him and I.  I 3bet to £35.  He ponders for quite awhile as though he has a real decision, then calls.  My range is pretty tight here, his pretty wide.  But there may be some levelling where he might perceive my raise as a re steal.

£78 in pot.  HU Effective stack is £400(bb)  Ks Qs Jc.  I just feel like this flop is going to be a lot of trouble, lot of 2prs lot of draws.  But worst thing I can do is hand over the betting lead to this guy, unless I am prepared to c/c each street with 1pr.  So I simply bet for value, being £48.  Opponent doesnt seem to have much of a decision and calls.  Lot of turn cards we dont want to see, but could easily be a float from this guy.  But he could just as easily have had me in bad shape the whole way, or hold a nand of high equity.

£174pot (£350 back)  Ks Qs Jc 4s.  Given all reads stated and dynamic, after being flatted on flop:

What do we like on turn and why?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    there's quite a lot of 10s in his range imo, he could also have kq, kj,qj Broadway cards, but would he not re-raise flop with kq-j on this wet flop?

Its difficult to put him on a made hand on the flop except qj, or slow played monster like jj, but with description given i lead turn like 110~ as you say he should have a wide range here and we have best hand often.

But checking is good too imo, there is a lot of reads you can gain from his bet size, body language or if he checks.
  • edited November 2012
    Am kind of torn on it tbh.  When we bet we have to be able to call a shove from him as we cant really b/f as stacks stand.  Problem is oppo is completely capable of shoving when behind with plenty of equity, with some perception of FE.  But equally recognising that I have to call when he has us beat (given reads), once I open for something in the region of £120.  But when he doesnt already have us beat there are just a ridiculous amount of rivers that we dont wont to let come off for free.

Doesnt seem like people are being that active this week, not really been checking in much myself.  But I'll look back later and explain what I did and why and how it ended. 
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Weird Spot, NL100 Thoughts?:
    Am kind of torn on it tbh.  When we bet we have to be able to call a shove from him as we cant really b/f as stacks stand.  Problem is oppo is completely capable of shoving when behind with plenty of equity, with some perception of FE.  But equally recognising that I have to call when he has us beat (given reads), once I open for something in the region of £120.  But when he doesnt already have us beat there are just a ridiculous amount of rivers that we dont wont to let come off for free. Doesnt seem like people are being that active this week, not really been checking in much myself.  But I'll look back later and explain what I did and why and how it ended. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    i am no were near a deep stack expert, but i know how difficult it can be when there's so much money involved and how it hampers basic decisions, I doubt he is willing to bluff his stack off(or majority) here though so you can bet fold turn(esp if you bet big, you will give impression of 0FE), you can even even c/f imo (depending on his bet size) although a bit passive.

You should not be too worried of allowing a free card, the trick is not to get your self get broke on a bad river, if he is drawing you are still ahead and are odds on to win.
  • edited November 2012
    My thought on this is bet £100 and fold to shove.

Not an easy spot , but checking just seems like it's begging him to bet £100 or so and put the decision on us , especially when he may have picked up more outs.

His dwell pre flop and quick call on flop suggests a one pair plus draw kind of hand  ( as Whoami says , including a lot of 10x ) - he apparently didn't take time to consider raising on flop

Not fun playing deep stacked oop is it ?
  • edited November 2012
    My thought on this is bet £100 and fold to shove. Not an easy spot , but checking just seems like it's begging him to bet £100 or so and put the decision on us , especially when he may have picked up more outs. His dwell pre flop and quick call on flop suggests a one pair plus draw kind of hand  ( as Whoami says , including a lot of 10x ) - he apparently didn't take time to consider raising on flop Not fun playing deep stacked oop is it ?
    Posted by simonnatur
    Lol definately not here.

Checking felt very wrong, as we arent really able to c/f with reads.  But betting is ugly as we may well be leading into a made hand or 2pr hand.  Only real line i didnt considor in hand was c/ring (on flop).  Which has some merit in hand, but I think oppo likely wont stab as my range is really polarised to Nutpp's and Apic (would have likely set mined vs table with lower pairs).  So most likely result of of attempting to c/r would be to let draws get there for free.

Yeah flatting flop was much more likely to be a draw than a complete float.  Then kind of got to the turn and a bit frozen in honesty.  Can only really be a nut hand or a strong draw
  • edited November 2012
    fwiw you are only 100bb deep. busy atm will look at it more later
  • edited November 2012
    In truth I just could not make up my mind at turn.  Felt strongly I couldnt check with all the draws out there, but hated to bet.  Oppo's range is so merged I just could not get a real feel for where I was.

So basically just decided to committ, being prepared to either get snapped off/shipped on or force out the draws.

So pretty much potted turn, which is something I very rarely do.  We are either bluffing needlessly high or making it difficult for ourselves to get value.  (Happy to pot for value where we feel strongly we'll be called obv.)  Didnt want to bet £100 - £120 and be stationed for a ugly river, plus didnt want to allow oppo to merge an equity shove with value shove.

Just felt oppo's equity was likely so high here if he hadnt already made a hand.  Am happy to price people to their draws ordinarily, but with the over inflation of the pot it just seemed like needless risk.

You guys hit the money card straight off the bat btw.  Oppo was genuinely frustrated, tank folding and showing the 10s (OESD 10highFD).  Claiming his spade outs to be good - which they were.

We had a drink afterwards and discussed the turn pot bet.  But couldnt really agree.  Am still unsure, but with stated reads....... grrrrr.....lol mergy :p  But by potting am basically making it impossible for oppo to continue, which obviously is rarely desirable.  I cant claim to have had a strong read that his hand wasnt made.  Just felt c/cing, c/ring c/fing to be less favourable.
  • edited November 2012
    fwiw you are only 100bb deep. busy atm will look at it more later
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Yeah I figured this and was waiting for you (or someone) to say it :P. Modifying stack size to straddle didnt really make playing through streets any easier though :p
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Weird Spot, NL100 Thoughts? : Yeah I figured this and was waiting for you (or someone) to say it :P. Modifying stack size to straddle didnt really make playing through streets any easier though :p
    Posted by AMYBR

No lol this is why playing through the streets is so hard for you

"Am not asking what line we like over a volume of hands, just in this specific spot."
  • edited November 2012
    hello beaneh.  I cant really throw years of playing with someone out of the window.

But yes, given the reads set out I am interested in peoples thoughts.  I was not asking how you would approach the hand readless or if a person was just crunching the numbers.
  • edited November 2012
    3b bigger, think c/c c/f or b/f are all valid options, if betting i would bet smaller, ak is bottom of value range, think villain bluff jamming turn super unlikely
  • edited November 2012
    Ty all for the feedback.

After digesting it abit more feel like if we know we are b/c ing turn anyway may as well size it more towards value than shutdown.  Especially when oppo has the potential to ship on a semi bluff/draw.  Better to leave him the required room to make a play with his equity.

• edited November 2012
    As played bet £75 and fold

I would take check/call route on the flop, this should look pretty strong(trap) depending on his bet size obv
    once we check call pretty much have to get in on turn so bet / call