You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is poker changing?

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat

Like many things, changing with the times, do you think poker is slowly evolving into a play any 2 cards kind of game? Much like facebook poker.
It just seems you get called with any 2 cards alot, out of position too.
Any A or K in your hand seems to be good enough even though its kicked with a 2, 3 or 4.
What for? I dont know.. Tactical maybe? Your not expecting your AK to be behind on a K34 board until your opponent turns over exactly that.
Or is it simply bad players who have started the game from playing facebook poker and seem to think this is how you play?
What do you think ?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    No offence, but guaranteed you're on a bad run.

Playing any 2 cards never gonna be the way to play long term apart from a few situations. If you were amazing at the game and wanted to play ATC, you certainly wouldn't be donig it out of position.

I assume you've had a bad time of weak players calling with dodgy hands and outflopping you, it happens sometimes, but AK is gonna be ahead on the flop against K4 so much more than K4 will be ahead. They lose longterm, don't get drawn into it, play your own game.
  • edited November 2012
    Im actually not running bad right now, overall doing well i would say, including live too.

I just bring this up because in the 2 hours or so i've been playing this evening, i've had quite a few encounters where i have been called with any 2 cards. Granted they were satellites but that is no excuse.

IMO im only ever playing these hands like K4 K3 off if im in the big blind and a short stack is all in and theres barely anything left to call, i mean why play these hands? What are you ahead of ?

But i agree i dont think these kind of players will do well in the long run,, I will continue to play my game which has served me well :)

But poker is growing more and more popular online and obviously with facebook poker, this is probably how more people are getting into the game, thus adapting this kind of play
  • edited November 2012
    There have always been weak players though and there always will be, that's how the stronger players win.

To be fair, there are other situations I'd play K4, for instance if I was SB v BB and I had 8xBB I'd shove with it. FWIW, if anything there's even less reasons to play junk like K4 in a satellite.

Oh well, leave them to it.
  • edited November 2012
    I personally will be considering having a party when facebook launches real money. Anyone else?
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah there just seems to be more and more about though tbh.

Yeah i agree in situations like that in blind vs blind theres no harm in trying to bluff it off or get it in with a few BB's but i meant generally getting called with those hands when theres no need.

But hey ho the world goes on
  • edited November 2012
    Its clearly not profitable to be calling raises with any two cards.

Just search some of these players the next time you come across them on sharkscope. Some of these any2 cards players are down 5figure amounts.
  • edited November 2012
    i have recently joined this site as it was recommended by some of my close friends who are good players and im affraid to say off the back of some terrible poker playing i cant be bothered with this site anymore .
    people dont know what a 4xbb raise is , even under the gun , they just dont know what it means !
    having got my chips in good 90% of the time i see myself losing to the same hands said above A or K 2345 and when sharkscoping they have played 10 games on the site and are obviously fresh from facebook i have played 70 or so games on here so its not starting to be an issue just yet but if sky poker gods dont start making that 10% lose then its not worth playing here anymore !
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Is poker changing?:
    I personally will be considering having a party when facebook launches real money. Anyone else?
    Posted by ajs4385
    Will I get invited? 

Is there going to be a free bar?
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    Totally agree with OP. Rag Ace  especially and as for OOP they don't know what it means. In tonights Deepie there was a player even calling an allin with 54 off for half his stack. You don't need me to tell you who won the hand. Any 2 suited cards now seems to get played all the time too. It's Zynga poker only on Sky.
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Is poker changing?:
    i have recently joined this site as it was recommended by some of my close friends who are good players and im affraid to say off the back of some terrible poker playing i cant be bothered with this site anymore . people dont know what a 4xbb raise is , even under the gun , they just dont know what it means ! having got my chips in good 90% of the time i see myself losing to the same hands said above A or K 2345 and when sharkscoping they have played 10 games on the site and are obviously fresh from facebook i have played 70 or so games on here so its not starting to be an issue just yet but if sky poker gods dont start making that 10% lose then its not worth playing here anymore !
    Posted by PlayMe_
      And how are sky supposed to do this :-but if sky poker gods dont start making that 10% lose then its not worth playing here anymore !
  • edited November 2012
    Just out of the mini.. was in about 16th place with 70-80 left i think. Lost most of my stack when Opponent hit his 3 outter on the river, Exit hand.. Im in BB short stacked, Folded round to SB who limp calls, i shove with K9, SB calls with A3. 9 On the flop, 3 on the turn, 3 on the river. Call it a night now me thinks
  • edited November 2012
    if so can only be a good thing for better players, i for one have started to grind a consistent profit on this site and although i encounter some truly horrible beats and coolers i play HU turbos so expect to see them frequently, over a large sample of games these hurrendous calls will just be pumping money into your account, these players are are easier to beat long term than those who know about hand ranges, stack size etc. Personally i hope the site is and continues to have an influx of any two card players.
  • edited November 2012
    yes it is an any 2 will do site, just read through BBV. its true
  • edited November 2012
    lol 

i play any 1 on facebook who plays poker on there for cash going all in on any 2 cards great :p