You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this fold too tight?

edited November 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Don't fold!

call. or shove. or whatever. 

don't fold tho...............

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Playing earlier I got involved in a tussle with a fairly actve player.
    Not many of his hands had gone to showdown, so I had little read on whether he actually had the goods when active or not. that said, I had switched gears a while before his arrival & was playing quite tight. the last few raises I had made all got through and I think I was percieved as quite tight.

Anyway, Was this fold too tight, or should I have put him to the test?

(Looking back at it now, a larger bet pre might've been advisable)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancestokefcSmall blind £0.04£0.04£7.60lisle09Big blind £0.08£0.12£6.31 Your hole cardsQQ   88celtsFold    HIM!!Raise £0.32£0.44£12.65ME!!Raise £0.80£1.24£26.02stokefcFold    lisle09Fold    HIM!!Call £0.48£1.72£12.17Flop  Q4K   HIM!!Check    ME!!Bet £1.29£3.01£24.73HIM!!Call £1.29£4.30£10.88Turn  8   HIM!!Bet £4.30£8.60£6.58ME!!Fold    HIM!!Muck    HIM!!Win £3.97 £10.55HIM!!Return £4.30£0.33£14.85
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: Was this fold to tight?:
    Don't fold! call. or shove. or whatever.  don't fold tho...............
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    What, you reckon I should've just shoved on the flop instead of the 3/4 pot bet?
  • edited November 2012
    No, pre flop and flop is fine as played....

Just smile when he leads in to you and either call or shove, I doubt it makes much difference, he's probably putting the rest in, and he's probably behind! 
  • edited November 2012
    Hmm,.... the old "Never retreat, never surrender" line eh? that's backfired on me in the past tbh.

If anything I would have gone with a shove. With the Qc on the board & not in my hand I didn't much like the clubs (was my main concern) and I wouldn't have wanted any other decisions on the river, especially if a fourth club arrived.

As it was He really simmered down after this and only played a couple of sporadic hands afterwards. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that, but I still reckon that after the flop call, he did spawn it & I saved myself some $$$.
  • edited November 2012
    WTF when I was reading I thought you were going to get c/r on an A or K high flop or donked into or something not flop a set then get lead into for pot on the turn!!!!!

Never ever fold in this spot! Your very likely to be ahead and even if your not you have outs!

Hmm,.... the old "Never retreat, never surrender" line eh? that's backfired on me in the past tbh.

Don't think like this^. In poker you should base your decisions on what's best in the long run and getting it in with a spot like this definitely +EV. Sometimes he will have the flush however so much more of the time he will show up with AK,KJ,44,k10,J10 and loads of other pair/club combos and as its 8nl loads of other sh it! 

• edited November 2012
    Fair point.

Obviously the fact I'm asking for critique shows that after it occurred I was doubting what I'd done.
    tbh I was expecting a small bet or a check & the pot sized bet just took me by surprise from that player. enough so that it actually made me tank & in actuality the timer ran out! if it hadn't I may well have called.
  • edited November 2012
    Make it £1 pre and never ever ever fold.
  • edited November 2012
    personally i would make it bigger on pre as youve said he has been fairly active so he could easily call a bigger raise. Then you would be able to bet bigger on this flop. I would never fold, you cant be scared of the flush. he has been active so he could of easily been waiting for a scare card. personally here i would shove and be confident that im ahead of his range
  • edited November 2012
    I guess the term here is 'oops' then.
    Looks like I choked and did myself out of some money.