You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changing your game....i could do with some good advice.

edited November 2012 in Poker Chat
Hi guys

Recently, i've been a little underwhelmed with my game . I set myself a target of more FT's I wanted to improve my post flop play for sure and the mindset that i had in a T. I admit i'm currently trying to deconstruct my playing patterns in order to play a more improved game. It can be difficult to know how to go about that without someone more experienced to inform you. That's why i appreciate the clinics help as there is always something that i can mentally note and absorb into my game. I'm enjoying the learning process and my mindset towards playing pots is better now......probably describe it as 'more aggressive but considered' from a possible opponent hand range spectrum.

'Winning Tournamenst 1HAAT' is a cracking set of books to see how good players play their opponents at times and not their cards. However, i do wonder that i can over complicate things and i can see myself doing completely the opposite because of an assumption i make. Its good fun at the moment, not crippling me financially at all and provides an interest that requires constant reassessment. I enjoy playing and contrary to posts about gambling...I AM NOT A GAMBLER for playing poker. ATM, i'm a player who pays an entry fee to play in a competition. If a return comes from it fine. If not, then i've had some entertainment and found, probably, some situations to find answers too.

I can do the equity calculations and win/lose calcs compared to the pot odds to check if  a course of action is a +Ev situation though this is complex and time-consuming. By analysing hands afterwards you get a feel for it, as it were i've read. TBH as an ex maths teacher it's something i enjoy. However, as a maths teacher lot was based on a tick or a cross ie either right or wrong. As we all know poker isn't like that and i find myself tying up in knots from being unsure. Maybe that's why i'm too passive in the middle to late stages. The fact that it has helped me to ladder to joint 1st in the DTD one week and then win the august monthly DTD has probably been counter productive as you see others go out for playing in pots whether ahead or not. Consequently, i'm still in the T and waiting for top 10% hands when my stack size dictates a wider range.

I know that from 18 months, my game is a 100% improved as equity or opponent hand considerations etc weren't even on the horizon etc. My problem now is more to do with the best and quickest path to take in order to improve as quickly as possible. The silly thing is that i had some success early doors even winning my first live tournament. How i don't know. I just played very tight, played fit/fold poker and got lucky.

Any suggestions from you or comments on what you did after playing for say 18 months and then realising their was more to do would be most welcome. I'm keen to put some work into it just unsure how to go about it EFFICIENTLY!

Cheers guys.

PS One other thing. I've concentrated on dym's and BH's but now play more deepstacks which have more post flop play. I've stayed away from cash and pot limit omaha. Is it worth trying to bring these up a notch at the same time or concentrate on the others first in your opinion.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I think everyone is after a magical key that will unlock poker and you will just win.
    It just not that simple, espcially if your playing in MTT's.

imo MTT strategy is very simple, it's not about each hand.
    You just want to get a big stack so you can take flips towards the mid-late stages.

You look at someone like yoyo or any other good MTT player, they just pick their balls up and stick there chips in )

don't over think it, we hardly ever play deep stack poker in MTT's
    You can play perfectly for 3 hours and finally hit top ten place with 20 left and you still go out on a standard flip or even holding the best hand ) If you have a chance to become chip daddy with 50% equity then snap it off :D
  • edited November 2012
    Wanna try and help Prof, but I'm not really sure what you're asking....

PS One other thing. I've concentrated on dym's and BH's but now play more deepstacks which have more post flop play. I've stayed away from cash and pot limit omaha. Is it worth trying to bring these up a notch at the same time or concentrate on the others first in your opinion."

This question is pretty clear tho. ^^^^^^

I wouldn't bother with cash, if you play just for fun you'll enjoy tournaments and sngs more than cash. 

Spose PLO might be worth ago, that's good fun if you're bored of NLHE!

• edited November 2012
    my advice in mtts 

is patience 

patience 

and wait patience 

to many players play crazy early doors just like to play hands just sit bk n suss the table out suss the crazy aggro players who like to play every hand suss the big nits if u get bored playing  1 table and being patient simple open up more tables 

another thing dnt do other things apart from poker like watch tv go on facebook etc focus on your tables and suss the players out i could give ya more advice but id be here all day hope this helps :)
  • edited November 2012
    playing tight the best strat tbh, enough bad players for anyone playing ABC to pick up easy chips

open up yor range mid-late, look for weak players and pick good spots

The amount of good aggro regs on Sky is imo quite low so not like you have to worry too much

Probably at the limit you play the main differance is players that are tight passive and loose passive - just need to identify and play accordingly against these two type of players - espcially when stacks r shallow
    then you obviously have your tight aggro and loose aggro - once you work out how you need to play against these four type then it becomes a little easier

Especially when people are adopting a style of MTT play that it more suited to bigger MTT's buy in's where the calibre of player is higher - like adopting the min raise strategy - low limit MTT's, it's just not worth it -

learn your oppo and adjust accordingly, never one cap fits all - unless the field is equal in ability

for example you should not play the same against TommyD like you would versus mr random who is loose passive

good luck Prof

TID !!!