You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can u make a living just playing mtts only or do u have to play cash?

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
I feel my mtt record is ok and i feel i have an edge in mtts then the grind of cash against the daily regs 

my question is can u make a living just by playing mtts alone i know julian thew makes a living on mtts but hes just tooooo dam good but im talking in general we all know mtts are high variance so you could play 50 mtts and not cash can be very depressing but can u make a living from it thoughts guys ?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    IDCU,

I did a long post but it was lost!

Will try and remember what I put...

You can make a living from just playing MTT's. You need a certain mindset and need to be able to put in lots of volume (not enough games on sky imo to be able to do this) to reduce variance. I have seen lots of players think they have an edge in MTT, is the edge you have enough to pay you a salary? That is the key, too many players mistake being profitable and making enough to take a salary too! Obviously volume helps get rakeback etc which can bump up earnings!

The question I would ask is do you want to only play MTT for a living (can probably change MTT for any sort of poker). For some the answer will be yes but for lots they think it is yes but if you think about grinding MTT over a long period of time (while having to maintain a high standard of play to remain the ROI you need) is in my opinion very difficult.

By the way, I believe Julian plays cash as well as MTT

Hope this helps

Matt
  • edited November 2012
    thanks for ya reply matt  

its not that im no good at cash just find it boring playing cash all time i prefer mtts maybe i should open up more tables when i play cash i dont know i just prefet mtts the buzz of getting to a final table a great feeling and in mtts if u lose with aa u just lose ya buy in of £11 etc but in cash if u lose with aa ya talking your whole stack i dunno im enjoying playing mtts atm i always have but not sure if i can make a gd monthly profit from them well last 2 months have been on a heater so its been ok no doubt i will hit a brick wall in em soon 
  • edited November 2012
    yah u can but not on sky
  • edited November 2012
    i diasgree, apart from the the main event and the rollers, the sky mtts are littered with lots of  weak players so if ur a good mtt player which his stats suggest he is then i dont see why he cant. your never gona be rich cos the mtts on here are poor but you can make a good wage im sure.
  • edited November 2012
    its prob near impossible mathematically to sustain a living from solely on mtts on sky. youll need to be playing 10-15 a day with pretty big buyins and sky arent close to having enough
  • edited November 2012
    Just pm'd you a link to an interview with chris moorman and his grind with tournaments. Volume is an understatement.
  • edited November 2012
    there are plenty of online mtt pro's, but obv other sites
  • edited November 2012
    Yes it can be done but yes as others say you have to play ridic volume.

Let's say long term you have a sick ROI like 50% that means even if every single tourney you ever played was £30 (and assuming no rake) you'd still only be making £15 profit per tourney. Knock some off for rake, now you gotta play ALOT of tournies to make a decent salary at <£15 per time, and that's assuming they're always £30, sometimes they'll be more, but often less too AND that's assuming you have a pretty sick ROI and never tilt, and even with ALL that, if you're properly grinding £30 MTTs you need a pretty big roll!

I could never handle the variance involved in purely playing MTTs and think there's very few who can, that's why most players supplement their income with regular steady income from cash games where they might not have to wait weeks/months (or longer) before seeing a half decent return.
  • edited November 2012

Yea ya can, but u can't ;) 

• edited November 2012
    one of the best online mtt players in the world has an av.roi of 30% over 32k tournaments. I'm pretty sure anything above this and it's not brill, i.e. you're trying to get into the min cash too much rather than playing ftw - I'm pretty sure it should be around 20-30%
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    thanks mohican i have a look
  • edited November 2012
    Fair enough Percy, thought it might be a bit higher but I guess over a sick volume it'll level out alot more. I was more making the point of the ridic volume required by showing it even in the best possible scenario. So if you recon 30%, to grind you'll have to play on one of the sites that play in $ ;) and but if we work in £s for ease...

You play a £30 MTT and make £9 profit, so you have to play 8-9 of these a day to make (imo) a pretty average salary, except a £30 tourney is like $50 on 'them sites' whcih are gonna have very tough fields so you'd have to be pretty sick to keep your 30% ROI and I don't even know if they run 9 per day @ $50+.... guess you'd deffo have to be multi site grinding. So obv if you start playing £10 ones, you have to then play 27 MTTs instead of 9 and so on.

Who is that player you're referring to by the way.

• edited November 2012
    I'm not 100% on my figures, but I think it's rougly correct. Dean23price on stars - real name marc wright. Well, he's like 2nd best in the UK or the world for online mtts, idk which one
  • edited November 2012
    that railtard on this site ?
  • edited November 2012
  • edited November 2012
    Marc is ranked no. 2 in the UK albeit he plays the majority of his volume on stars and the rankings require results on a number of sites to get the highest possible rankings. Comparing yourself to him is a bit ridic in my opinion. Players like him and Chris Brammer (ranked no. 1 in UK) are ranked where they are for a reason and play incredible volume (Marc averaged about 1000 MTT a month last year) at high stakes and whilst it is interesting to know how those guys get on, I dont think thats where you should be looking for comparisons.

There are lots of high stakes tournaments on other sites however you would most likely mix in smaller games with larger games so that needs to be factored into results. I believe you would play more tournaments than that mentioned above as you would need to be playing at least say 8 tables at a time, if not more. The key will obviously be what sort of ROI you could expect and you need to look over a decent sample size to properly understand this.  

IDCU...hope you dont mind but looked at your sharkscope. Lets assume you treat it as a job and play 5 days a week and want £500 a week (I have no idea of your life situation so this is a random guess!), you would need to play 100 tournaments a week based on your current profit per tournament (this excludes rakeback). Are there 20 MTT you could play on sky per day? Can you maintain your ROI? I have no idea of what sky ROI are like/how good your game is. Assuming the last question is a yes then you could probably make enough however, where are you going to move on to? If sky grows and the number of MTT increases along with the average buy ins then maybe your "wages" could go up over time but is this the way you want to make your money for the long term?

Hope this is of some help

Matt
  • edited November 2012
    i play around 10 - 20 mtts a day 

lol im noway comparing myself to them at all for a start i only play £5.50 mtts most i pay is £11 i dnt play any main events unless i sattelite in altho i can afford it id rather get in cheap but atm im amking about £200 on mtts alone 
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Can u make a living just playing mtts only or do u have to play cash?:
    Marc is ranked no. 2 in the UK albeit he plays the majority of his volume on stars and the rankings require results on a number of sites to get the highest possible rankings. Comparing yourself to him is a bit ridic in my opinion. Players like him and Chris Brammer (ranked no. 1 in UK) are ranked where they are for a reason and play incredible volume (Marc averaged about 1000 MTT a month last year) at high stakes and whilst it is interesting to know how those guys get on, I dont think thats where you should be looking for comparisons. There are lots of high stakes tournaments on other sites however you would most likely mix in smaller games with larger games so that needs to be factored into results. I believe you would play more tournaments than that mentioned above as you would need to be playing at least say 8 tables at a time, if not more. The key will obviously be what sort of ROI you could expect and you need to look over a decent sample size to properly understand this.   IDCU...hope you dont mind but looked at your sharkscope. Lets assume you treat it as a job and play 5 days a week and want £500 a week (I have no idea of your life situation so this is a random guess!), you would need to play 100 tournaments a week based on your current profit per tournament (this excludes rakeback). Are there 20 MTT you could play on sky per day? Can you maintain your ROI? I have no idea of what sky ROI are like/how good your game is. Assuming the last question is a yes then you could probably make enough however, where are you going to move on to? If sky grows and the number of MTT increases along with the average buy ins then maybe your "wages" could go up over time but is this the way you want to make your money for the long term? Hope this is of some help Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    Do bear in mind there there are MASS frenzy satellites in there and SS don't count rebuys :p
  • edited December 2012
    do bear in mind i won 2k in last 2 months lambert :) 

hows ya grind going took ya ages to get to 400  work at it im sure ya get there :)
  • edited December 2012
    Yeah the grinds going ok thanks, I've nitted up recently though... making sure I don't make any visits to eletronic roulette machines in bookies... oh wait...nvm
  • edited December 2012
    :)  we all learn by are mistakes 
  • edited December 2012
    hahahahaha. you 2 are awesome.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Can u make a living just playing mtts only or do u have to play cash?:
    I feel my mtt record is ok and i feel i have an edge in mtts then the grind of cash against the daily regs  my question is can u make a living just by playing mtts alone i know julian thew makes a living on mtts but hes just tooooo dam good but im talking in general we all know mtts are high variance so you could play 50 mtts and not cash can be very depressing but can u make a living from it thoughts guys ?
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    IDCU, you dont have an edge yr just on a good run. COME BACK IN 12 MONTHS & IF YR STILL beating mtts then il applaude you