You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Facing A Donk-Shove On A Flushing River: DTD 3 (£2.20)

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
What do we make of this?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
delboygaz Small blind  10.00 10.00 2460.00
bigal36903 Big blind  20.00 30.00 2480.00
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

weemallet Fold     
charnick25 Raise  60.00 90.00 2440.00
BorinLoner Raise  180.00 270.00 2310.00
shirley02 Fold     
delboygaz Fold     
bigal36903 Fold     
charnick25 Call  120.00 390.00 2320.00
Flop

• J

charnick25 Check     
BorinLoner Bet  200.00 590.00 2110.00
charnick25 Call  200.00 790.00 2120.00
Turn

• A

charnick25 Check     
BorinLoner Bet  440.00 1230.00 1670.00
charnick25 Call  440.00 1670.00 1680.00
River

• K

charnick25 All-in  1680.00 3350.00 0.00
BorinLoner All-in  1670.00 5020.00 0.00

Comments

• edited December 2012

I'm 50/50 on both the pre-flop 3-bet and the river call.

• edited December 2012
    i don't mind the 3bet pre if you think opponant will call with worse.

Pretty sure that your losing on the river but doubt i actually manage to make the fold in game
  • edited December 2012
    I figured that at this level I could easily be called by worse, but the only better hand that flats is likely to be AQ. All other better hands are simply going to 4-bet, I think.

As I say, I was 50/50 on the river call. I didn't think any set or straight was going to get to this river then shove, so it had to be the nuts or nothing. How many AhXh combos are really in that range, with the Jack and King on board, I'm not sure but there can't be that many that raise/call pre-flop.
  • edited December 2012
    fair point and given that you have position if aq or ak flats you will probably both miss and still give you a chance to pinch it. So yes i like the 3bet pre.

You often see people raise call any suited ace at low stakes mtt. q10o or q10s are also distinct possibilities tbh i think your beat most of the time with the donk shove looks so much like a transparent played draw
  • edited December 2012
    i think it's def a fold on the river.....so many hands got there, i dont think you can rule out q10 and as jams said ppl will call with ANY suited ace at this level....you'll be surprised with the junk people turn up with in a 2.20 mtt....assigning a range is difficult for most of the oppos lol
  • edited December 2012
    I know alot of players will call with weak acces, but most don't raise with them. Those that raise with QTs, usually (though obviously not always) fold it to a 3-bet. The players that play AXs tend to limp/call rather than raise/call. That was my thought process anyway. If he'd limped in and the action had gone like this, I'd be snap folding, of course... Well, I'd be cursing under my breath and tank folding... but it's the same thing. lol
  • edited December 2012

Do you not need specific reads on a player before making this kind of call though?? still very early.....

I'm pretty sure if somebody else posted this hand you would say fold? 

• edited December 2012
    you can 3bet for value because enough hands will call with worse which means you can fold to their narrow range that 4bets. prob all pp's are calling and 10Jetc and worse aces. 

I think it's a fold tbh. 10Q and flush got there. Could be shoving KJ maybe, but doubt it

bet bigger otf

• edited December 2012
    hi B

Feeling lucky? It's early and there's a ot of hands that people will bet here with esp ppr's to try to hit. I don't know the player so i'd be cautious. However he did raise then call your rer so he probably has you for an ace
     I'd have thought he's got you with qts or has lucked out with trips as he seems content to just to call the streets but if he is drawing for str8 then he shouldn't on turn as he hasn't got the pot odds unless it was QT of hearts. I suppose by that stage he only has 1600 left and will be all in by then no matter and K is a good card for him.

***Once you've reached the river, i'm calling myself as i can still recover with my remaining stack.***Sorry i misread the history which Waller pointed out as its for all your remaining stack......sorry fold now really but its a long way back ...soi'd take my chance and just hope it was a silly 2 pr hand though unlikely as it does look like he's caught.......unless you're up for a Chip Reese type comeback!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Facing A Donk-Shove On A Flushing River: DTD 3 (£2.20):
    hi B Feeling lucky? It's early and there's a ot of hands that people will bet here with esp ppr's to try to hit. I don't know the player so i'd be cautious. However he did raise then call your rer so he probably has you for an ace  I'd have thought he's got you with qts or has lucked out with trips as he seems content to just to call the streets but if he is drawing for str8 then he shouldn't on turn as he hasn't got the pot odds unless it was QT of hearts. I suppose by that stage he only has 1600 left and will be all in by then no matter and K is a good card for him. Once you've reached the river, i'm calling myself as i can still recover with my remaining stack.
    Posted by profman15
    ??? have you misread the hand m8....the call is for his whole stack
  • edited December 2012
    Do you not need specific reads on a player before making this kind of call though?? still very early..... I'm pretty sure if somebody else posted this hand you would say fold? 
    Posted by waller02
    You're probably right to say that.

Don't get me wrong, I think I lose this more often than I win, but is it often enough to make the call wrong? I'm not sure. If my logic holds, then players at this level aren't likely to raise Ax suited, unless it's pretty big so I felt that only AT or AQ, or something round there would be possible. QTo, I would have been a bit surprised by, not just because it's less likely to raise/call pre-flop but also because when the hearts come in, shoving would seem weird. QTs would usually play more aggro on this flop, as well.

I certainly wasn't ruling those hands out completely, but his range seemed to be more likely to be AQs, ATs or a bluff.

I don't agree that there was too much wrong with my flop bet, to be honest. It's a 3-bet pot and I don't need to let him make easy decisions here by betting too much to allow him to bluff and if he calls, most of the danger cards are pretty obvious.
  • edited December 2012
    I'd just bet more cos it's wet and hits his range quite strongly - means we can stacks in comfortably otr too
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Facing A Donk-Shove On A Flushing River: DTD 3 (£2.20) : You're probably right to say that. Don't get me wrong, I think I lose this more often than I win, but is it often enough to make the call wrong? I'm not sure. If my logic holds, then players at this level aren't likely to raise Ax suited, unless it's pretty big so I felt that only AT or AQ, or something round there would be possible. QTo, I would have been a bit surprised by, not just because it's less likely to raise/call pre-flop but also because when the hearts come in, shoving would seem weird. QTs would usually play more aggro on this flop, as well. I certainly wasn't ruling those hands out completely, but his range seemed to be more likely to be AQ, ATs or a bluff. I don't agree that there was too much wrong with my flop bet, to be honest. It's a 3-bet pot and I don't need to let him make easy decisions here by betting too much to allow him to bluff and if he calls, most of the danger cards are pretty obvious.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    how do you know this though? it's still the first level and unless you have history with him i don't know how you can narrow his range down so quickly?? 

Do you really wanna go broke in the first level on a pure gamble??

I would never try to give advice to you, you're a far more competant player than me which is why the call puzzles me
  • edited December 2012
    Well, playing MTT's you hardly have history with any players. You've got to go on experience and general play at the level.

If you need reads on the specific player before you make big calls/bets against them, in MTT's you're basically going to end up just playing your hand a huge majority of the time.

As I say, it's not a pure gamble. It's a reasoned decision based on alot of things, including the pot odds and a  range weighted in terms of which hands seem most likely. However if I didn't think it was marginal, I wouldn't have posted it.

I don't know which players I'm more competent than and which I'm not. I welcome advice from anyone regardless of experience. Sometimes it just takes someone to say "You're overthinking things" or something like it. That's something I'm guilty of alot and it doesn't take Phil Ivey to point it out. If Lol_Raise was asking for advice, I'm pretty sure he's not just waiting for better players than him to have their say, he just wants other points of view.
  • edited December 2012
    Well, playing MTT's you hardly have history with any players. You've got to go on experience and general play at the level. If you ned experience on a player before you make big calls/bets against them, in MTT's you're basically going to end up just playing your hand a huge majority of the time. As I say, it's not a pure gamble. It's a reasoned decision based on alot of things, including the pot odds, and a  range weighted in terms of which hands are most likely. However, if I didn't think it was marginal,, I wouldn't have posted it.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I just think the hands people turn up with and the way they are played in 2.20 mtt include every hand that has you crushed (especially in the early stages) it was DTD night and the general standard of play is a LOT better but I still think it's a fold
  • edited December 2012
    You may well be right. It's probably a fold, though I don't think it's overwhelmingly clear-cut.
  • edited December 2012
    I agree, plus it's easy to say fold when I'm not involved and dont have 15 secs or whatever to make my decision lol.....it wouldn't surprise me if I called in game either, the difference being you had a clear thought process whereas mine tend to be stubborn crying calls
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Facing A Donk-Shove On A Flushing River: DTD 3 (£2.20) : ??? have you misread the hand m8....the call is for his whole stack
    Posted by waller02
     Cheers Waller ...my error...i've amended my post.