You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ME didn't last long

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
What do we think of my line here? Been playing alot of cash resently is this to aggro for tourny play? Never normally play the main event but had the day off work and manged to sat in for a quid so effectivly on a freeroll.

Villian is well known succesfful mtt player been playing alot of pots so i know he can be raising wide was hoping to push off a 1 pair hand and if called thought i might still be favorite.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TheAlly Small blind   20.00 20.00 3405.00
jams88 Big blind   40.00 60.00 2460.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • K

vicarina22 Fold        
dunham123 Fold        
tillytrot Fold        
MattBates Raise   80.00 140.00 2665.00
TheAlly Call   60.00 200.00 3345.00
jams88 Call   40.00 240.00 2420.00
Flop

TheAlly Check        
jams88 Check        
MattBates Bet   180.00 420.00 2485.00
TheAlly Fold        
jams88 Raise   480.00 900.00 1940.00
MattBates All-in   2485.00 3385.00 0.00
jams88 All-in   1940.00 5325.00 0.00
MattBates Unmatched bet   245.00 5080.00 245.00
jams88 Show
  • J
  • K

MattBates Show
  • K

Turn

River

MattBates Win Two Pairs, 8s and 5s 5080.00   5325.00

Comments

• edited December 2012
    is fine.

not sure what i prefer out of lead or c/r otf tho
  • edited December 2012
    Pretty awkward spot here as it's gonna be hard for us to get folds whether we lead or c/r flop as oppo likes to have a gamble early on and can be pretty spewy. As oppo will get it in fairly light I would probably stove his range and and see what your equity is vs. his range plus the little fold equity we have as to whether we c/r flop with the view of calling it off.
  • edited December 2012
    HI J
    Its very early and you may strategise to try to double up early on. well i suppose this is a perfect shot at it. Seems like Matt thought the same as personally, to AI with TPGK but a raise of your flop bet. he knows that he's up against a draw to the flush and still AI's,  I don't agree with but he's better than me.

Think you ought to lead out on flop though Matt is very aggressive and with two overs and the flush draw, you could have 15 outs to improve AND be ahead over matt though you don't know for sure) so and equity of about 60%. I would say 12 outs were acceptable to give yourself so its a flip overall.So you weren't wrong to call the ai imo as even the flush gives you 36% equity. Whilst the pot odds are approx 2:3.3 , you seemed to have made your mind up with the reraise on the flop.

Personally, i'd have called matt on the flop as his btn bet seems small considering what he is like. Maybe its there to confuse. Then i'd reassess on the turn. He will bet with top pr and then you can  consider the pot odds as to whether its a good bet mathematically. If he bets say half pot you could claim implicit odds then as you'd have chips left over to bet with if it hits on river.
    However, this is a conservative approach. Some players would give you the river card for free but i doubt if Matt would. It appears both of you wanted the chance to double up early as neither of you were dominating.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: ME didn't last long:
    HI J Its very early and you may strategise to try to double up early on. well i suppose this is a perfect shot at it. Seems like Matt thought the same as personally, to AI with TPGK but a raise of your flop bet. he knows that he's up against a draw to the flush and still AI's,  I don't agree with but he's better than me. Think you ought to lead out on flop though Matt is very aggressive and with two overs and the flush draw, you could have 15 outs to improve AND be ahead over matt though you don't know for sure) so and equity of about 60%. I would say 12 outs were acceptable to give yourself so its a flip overall.So you weren't wrong to call the ai imo as even the flush gives you 36% equity. Whilst the pot odds are approx 2:3.3 , you seemed to have made your mind up with the reraise on the flop. Personally, i'd have called matt on the flop as his btn bet seems small considering what he is like. Maybe its there to confuse. Then i'd reassess on the turn. He will bet with top pr and then you can  consider the pot odds as to whether its a good bet mathematically. If he bets say half pot you could claim implicit odds then as you'd have chips left over to bet with if it hits on river. However, this is a conservative approach. Some players would give you the river card for free but i doubt if Matt would. It appears both of you wanted the chance to double up early as neither of you were dominating.
    Posted by profman15
    I don't think i can ever c/r/f this flop with this hand tbh so yet once i had check raised i was prepared to stack off. I chose the c/r rather than the lead as we can presume that the villian has missed this flop 60% of the time and just fold to a lead. My thinking was to allow him to take a stab at it. I have a strong draw and what i thought was 2 overs so thougth i had enough outs to justify the move but do we think it is worth risiking our tounry life this early on? FWIW if i win this hand the table has seemed very passive so far with Matt bossing it pretty much i feel there is alot of room to bully more chips from the table if i get the stack
  • edited December 2012
    You choose to call pre.

You then choose to check on the flop, you now have to call, see what happens on the turn.

If you lead out on the flop and he reraises you then mabye shove...