You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Debate: What hands do we squeeeze with & why

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Ok so your sitting in the blinds 100b deep cash and we face a 3x raise mp and a flat
So what hands do we squeee with and why ?

I have been having this debate with myself and I just can't think of a good enough reason to do it with:

83o

or

56s

What do you guys think ?
Plus what does everyone think about squeezing oop in general, in what situations are we happy to 3 bet 55 & why ?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    just fold pre oop

• edited December 2012
    If you think everyones gonna fold then you can 3bet whatever you want. 56s just flops better than 83o when you get called.
  • edited December 2012
    A lot better to squeeze with a hand that flops well than total garbage, also a hand where If we get 4 bet its an easy fold.
  • edited December 2012

You have to squeeze with something that can flop well if you're called....

But that doesn't have too much value so if you get 4b you haven't 'wasted it'......

I think.

So figure that 1 out!!!!

And it's supposed to have 'blockers'. Or a blocker. Coz surely blocker's' plural would fall into the 'too much value to waste' catagory ;)

K5s is better to squeeze with that 89s I think? :s

KJs flops v well. And has 2 blockers. But does it have too much post flop value to squeeze??? 

who knowzzzzz. 

I don't!

;)

• edited December 2012
    suited rag aces are my personal fave. K10 K9, JQ etc. you can also squeeze w/ complete garbage as a complete bluff IF both the opener and the caller fold a lot to 3bets, BUT if you do get called you SHOULD just shut down otf, i.e. not even cbet. You squeeze as a bluff to pick up the dead money in the pot, which is +ev, it only becomes -ev when you're spewy postflop. The biggest thing behind squeezing is knowing why you're doing it, as a bluff or for value, you can 3bet A5ss as a bluff vs certain players and for value against some players.

It's also important to take into account who's opened and who's called. If a fish opens who never folds to 3bets and a reg has called behind, it's prob not a brill idea to squeeze cos the fish will call and then the reg will have odds to call. If reg opens who fold to 3bet quite a lot, and a fish calls his raise, then the reg will prob fold to your 3bet and you'll get hu w/ the fish which is ideal.

I don't think you should 3bet w/ suited connectors that flop well too often, 56s bla bla. if you're in position vs a raise and a caller you can just flat and play post flop pokerz. Blockers are good to squeeze with, but like I said the most important thing is knowing why you're squeezing

I know there's a debate as to whether squeeze means as a total bluff or with value range as well, but idc and inthis answer ive just defined squeeze as a raise w/ a raise and a caller, not just acomplete airball by hero
  • edited December 2012
    i think suited connectors are gd to squeeze with aslong as when they call u have an idea what range of hands they have so i wouldnt do it with paint cards as that smacks from a original raisers range i think 78 suited 910 suited or even as low as 45 is gd squeeze
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Debate: What hands do we squeeeze with & why:
    You have to squeeze with something that can flop well if you're called.... But that doesn't have too much value so if you get 4b you haven't 'wasted it'...... I think. So figure that 1 out!!!! And it's supposed to have 'blockers'. Or a blocker. Coz surely blocker's' plural would fall into the 'too much value to waste' catagory ;) K5s is better to squeeze with that 89s I think? :s KJs flops v well. And has 2 blockers. But does it have too much post flop value to squeeze???  who knowzzzzz.  I don't! ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This is a dilema right - where the fcuk is that line and how much does it change when oop or ip -
    How does it change versus certain oppo type's if oop or ip versus hand range !!!

help !! anyone !! Not played poker for two days now - can't take it anymore !!

• edited December 2012
    HI R

I wouldn't dare think i could give yu advice about how to play in a MTT, R
     However, from what i've read the squeeze is used as a bluff when one or more ,preferably,limp after a raise. You want to be in position as the limps are supposed to help you narrow your opponents hand ranges. The idea being that if you do get a call (because you wn't go any further with a 4 bett, will you?) then you should have a hand that has a fair amount of equity against a calling hand range. As this would be likely to be premium end obviously then i think its down to suited connectores or suited cards with blockers. The idea is that the hand should be poor enough for you not to think you could showdown with it but good enough to have some equity eg catch a flush /str8.
    From what i've read though the stack sizes, including your own, must be observed so you don't give the odds for a a weak shove and that you should consider the possibility of a reverse squeeze as wel as being in position ie squeezing from the blinds is frowned upon as post flop play will be difficult then. If you are oop then you make a bigger squeeze bet to discourage the action more.(say a pot sized raise)
    The point about your own stack size is in this eg......if a player opens wide and gets called by two other players then you squeeze to 14 BB's with A5s then it's actually wrong to fold against a four bet range as tight as JJ+, AK so you should call off the rest. However you did say that you were 100 bb's deep so this eg doesn't not involve your scenario.
    These are advanced plays and normally out of my scope but if you are playing thinking players they are there to be used as they will understand their use and what any responses mean too. That's my idea of what it is and hands to play. If i'm wrong, Rancid, don't be afraid to tell me m8. Hope things are ok in the family.
  • edited December 2012
    Yo Prof,

A lot of what you say makes sense. The squeeze is basically squeezing the person in the mddle - the original raiser.
    The players that has flatted never has a hand, and the opener is then stuck in a bad spot facing a strong 3 bet and a player still to act behind. I think yeah it would make sense to squeeze with position than not. Think maybe you can happily squeeze bigger oop with 82o and ip with 56s. If you have an idea of what oppo will flat the 3 bet with ip & oop then it becomes a lot easier to play. Obviously 4 bet then becomes very polarised.

Mainly talking about sqeezing in cash but yeah it's very viable in MTT's if the stack sizes are deep
    family is fine btw - thank for asking
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Debate: What hands do we squeeeze with & why:
    suited rag aces are my personal fave. K10 K9, JQ etc. you can also squeeze w/ complete garbage as a complete bluff IF both the opener and the caller fold a lot to 3bets, BUT if you do get called you SHOULD just shut down otf, i.e. not even cbet. You squeeze as a bluff to pick up the dead money in the pot, which is +ev, it only becomes -ev when you're spewy postflop. The biggest thing behind squeezing is knowing why you're doing it, as a bluff or for value, you can 3bet A5ss as a bluff vs certain players and for value against some players. It's also important to take into account who's opened and who's called. If a fish opens who never folds to 3bets and a reg has called behind, it's prob not a brill idea to squeeze cos the fish will call and then the reg will have odds to call. If reg opens who fold to 3bet quite a lot, and a fish calls his raise, then the reg will prob fold to your 3bet and you'll get hu w/ the fish which is ideal. I don't think you should 3bet w/ suited connectors that flop well too often, 56s bla bla. if you're in position vs a raise and a caller you can just flat and play post flop pokerz. Blockers are good to squeeze with, but like I said the most important thing is knowing why you're squeezing I know there's a debate as to whether squeeze means as a total bluff or with value range as well, but idc and inthis answer ive just defined squeeze as a raise w/ a raise and a caller, not just acomplete airball by hero
    Posted by percival09
    Best reply so far. What's not been said yet is about your own image. If you're percieved as very loose/aggro then squeezing with a hand that's total garbage isn't the best of ideas, but it also means you should be able to 3bet squeeze lighter for value (assuming other players have  been paying attention to your image) 
  • edited December 2012
    Il squeeze with a very wide range if were 3 way for example theres been a raise and a call and ive a hand like 96 suited, j9 ,q10.  If there is 1 opener and i have a marginal hand like q10,kj,aj i used to 3 bet these hands but then the problem arrises what do i do if i get 4 bet do i get myself into a leveling war against opponants who arnt capable of 5 bet bluffing.  So il flat with these hands in a heads up pot and 3 bet them multiway with a view to playing it tricky postflop and making life for my opponants hell floating out of position, check raising turn cards and be able to know which boards to do this on.  I am happy to play with marginal hands like this in a heads up pot as i wont be playing fit or fold postflop.
  • edited December 2012
    For me its as much to do with stack depth and oppos tendancies as hand type.