You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

final table heads up help.

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I managed to luckily get heads up in the "£2.20 @ 2.20 deep stack" for a second day in a row but i have no real experience of being heads up and i'm looking for a bit advice.

other than widening my range and playing more aggressive, the player today for example was just going all-in most hands pre-flop and folding the rest.

how do you play against this type of player?

i failed miserably, because after a few hands this frustrated the hell out of me and if that was his plan than it worked well. when i finally did ship it, he hit a flush on the flop and took down 1st place.

So, any advice for playing heads-up please??

Mick

Comments

• edited December 2012
    If he is just shoving or foling and nothing else, then wait for a premium hand and call, if he beats you then ts just unlcuky. Raise the button quite frequenly if he folds aswell and doesnt call to take the dead money, unless he is shoving loads then just fold and raise when you are ready to get it in.
  • edited December 2012
    What were the stack sizes, blinds and average stack? Maybe you should play a few normal sit n gos and get some practice at heads up situations and finding a range that youre comfortable with
  • edited December 2012
    It really depends, HU in MTTs it's massively important to keep track of stack sizes. If you were both 10xBB effective, then he was probably (correctly) shoving any Ax, any PP, pretty much any Kx, probably Q8+, JT, and some suited connectors like 89s, T9s etc. Remember if this is the set up, then every time you fold the BB he is taking 10% of your stack away, it doesn't take very long before he's gonna be happy getting it in SUPER wide when it's 15xBB v 5xBB.
  • edited December 2012
    thank you for your comments.

his stack was around 53K & mine was around 42K. there was just under 30 people in the deep stack tourny so the blinds were still fairly small, 300/600.

so he had just under 90BB and i had just under 70BB.

looking back i know i should have waited for a better spot and hopefully, if this happens again i wont get so frustrated and wont just ship any 2.

spot on advice though, thank you.

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: final table heads up help.:
    thank you for your comments. his stack was around 53K & mine was around 42K. there was just under 30 people in the deep stack tourny so the blinds were still fairly small, 300/600. so he had just under 90BB and i had just under 70BB. looking back i know i should have waited for a better spot and hopefully, if this happens again i wont get so frustrated and wont just ship any 2. spot on advice though, thank you.
    Posted by 88MickyC
    Yeah your both still very deep for HU so just wait for a good hand to get it in with and keep raising a tonne on the button if he is either folding or shoving.
  • edited December 2012

This deep HU my range on the button will be almost any 2. Min raise folding, finding a loose 4bet from time to time to stop him from 3betting everytime. Will sometimes peel a widish range too. Depending on the opponent. 

However v this specific type of opponent this deep its a waiting game. What we musn't do though is get too tight. So still open our buttons, and if he gives us grief for it then pick slightly better spots. 

I can fully understand how you got frustrated at this, in this instance. However a sign of your opponents play suggests to me, he thought you where the better player. 
  • edited December 2012
    yeah, i need to improve more on my patience and not get so frustrated, when the opponent becomes so aggressive with all-ins.

cheers for the comments and will bare this in mind, next time i come up against this type of opponet heads up.

mick