You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How you deal with Tilt and knowing when to stop??

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I have not been playing long and am a relative novice i currently only play very small stakes cash and the odd tournament here and there if i have the funds, Although i would say i do fall victim to tilt quite often, I will go on a run and win a few hands in a row and am significantly up on what i started with and then i start to slide considerably call that confidence over niavety i don know but once i am way down to early bust i player much better and work my way up again in a kind of vicious circle and it begins again.

So my question how do people on hre deal with tilt and also how do thy ecide when it is tim totake there money and run.

Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Thanks for that ill definately give that book a look and only playing 2p/4p stufff so can afford and resisting the temptation to move up which is probably good a thing 
  • edited December 2012
    Highlight correct answer, bottle it, sell it.  Become bisquillionaire.  Done :p
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to How you deal with Tilt and knowing when to stop??:
    I have not been playing long and am a relative novice i currently only play very small stakes cash and the odd tournament here and there if i have the funds, Although i would say i do fall victim to tilt quite often, I will go on a run and win a few hands in a row and am significantly up on what i started with and then i start to slide considerably call that confidence over niavety i don know but once i am way down to early bust i player much better and work my way up again in a kind of vicious circle and it begins again. So my question how do people on hre deal with tilt and also how do thy ecide when it is tim totake there money and run. Thanks
    Posted by JJD90
    If you've not been playing long and are wanting to learn poker I reckon cash is NOT the best way.  It is the best way to lose cash FAST tho! I'd suggest playing the Deepstacks, they are on every night and cost £1:10 or £2:20. You get 2/3 hours poker for your £££'s.   Give the DYM's a try, they are another good way to learn "cheaply".
    Also, If you are able to "budget" a certain amount per week, e.g. £10, just play and learn, if the £10 goes ho hum. No need to tilt! 
  • edited December 2012
    Used to have the same problem...still do occasionally. It usually leads to playing more aggressive getting money in bad and losing more. The best answer is the obvious 1 as soon as you feel you emotions getting the better of you take a break. For me sometimes thats an hour sometimes a day when you know you can sit back down and play your A game again then go back to it. Analyse your hand histories see if your getting your money in good in your big losing hands if so keep doing what your doing it will even out even if sometimes it feels like it never will!
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for all your advice guys ill take it on board and see what happens 
  • edited December 2012
    I'm also a fairly new player and in my opinion and apologies because a lot has already been mentioned in previous comments but here goes..

make sure your playing at the correct stakes to suit your bankroll. in the past i found this effected my play and made me go on tilt A LOT more than normal.

Also, when going on tilt, for me, i walk away from the computer for as long as it takes really but as long as i know i played the hand correctly, then i know in the long term it will be profitable. i always try and think long-term after a hand that may have put me on tilt when i first started playing poker.

although, with me and i think most players, the more you play and the more you understand the game, the less you go on tilt.

Also, checking your hand history can be a big advantage to your game. i've recently found this to be one of the most helpful towards making my game better because i can sit down and see what i've done right but also more importantly, what i've done wrong and hopefully, putting that right the next time you play.

apologies, because this is just reitirating what the others have said but good luck dealing with your tilt. i'm sure the more you play and the better you become, the less you'll go on tilt.

Mick.

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: How you deal with Tilt and knowing when to stop??:
    I'm also a fairly new player and in my opinion and apologies because a lot has already been mentioned in previous comments but here goes.. make sure your playing at the correct stakes to suit your bankroll. in the past i found this effected my play and made me go on tilt A LOT more than normal. Also, when going on tilt, for me, i walk away from the computer for as long as it takes really but as long as i know i played the hand correctly, then i know in the long term it will be profitable . i always try and think long-term after a hand that may have put me on tilt when i first started playing poker. although, with me and i think most players, the more you play and the more you understand the game, the less you go on tilt. Also, checking your hand history can be a big advantage to your game. i've recently found this to be one of the most helpful towards making my game better because i can sit down and see what i've done right but also more importantly, what i've done wrong and hopefully, putting that right the next time you play. apologies, because this is just reitirating what the others have said but good luck dealing with your tilt. i'm sure the more you play and the better you become, the less you'll go on tilt. Mick.
    Posted by 88MickyC
    Thanks any advice is much apprieciated