You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

satilite statergy

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
sitting in 2nd in chips 6 seats about another 10 people to get knocked out and get this hand against chip leader. Should i be folding pre if i am going to fold to a jam on the flop?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Bernie02 Small blind   200.00 200.00 9620.00
HX1 Big blind   400.00 600.00 7550.00
  Your hole cards

tiercel Fold        
grambo19 Fold        
jams88 Raise   800.00 1400.00 9616.00
gmgm Fold        
Bernie02 Raise   2800.00 4200.00 6820.00
HX1 Fold        
jams88 Call   2200.00 6400.00 7416.00
Flop

• J

Bernie02 All-in   6820.00 13220.00 0.00
jams88 Fold        
Bernie02 Muck        
Bernie02 Win   6400.00   6400.00
Bernie02 Return   6820.00 0.00 13220.00

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Hi J

Fact that its chip leader raising you probably is the biggest clue. He's probably got TT+ or Ak. Let it go after his rise imo. You still have 20+ stack left if you do which has plenty of FEq. Big stacks don't need to go after each other in Sats so he's got too good a reason. Wouldn't be surprised if you're a 20% dog here. Hope you got through.m8.
  • edited December 2012
    did fold and made it through to the semi which im still in atm just about. This hand just stood out for me as i knew i was folding on most flops thought maybe i should fold to the 3bet pre or do we think that to nitty
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: satilite statergy:
    did fold and made it through to the semi which im still in atm just about. This hand just stood out for me as i knew i was folding on most flops thought maybe i should fold to the 3bet pre or do we think that to nitty
    Posted by jams88
     personally i fold to the three bet from the chip leader pe flop. If its someone with a smaller stack size then the situation may alter. however, i've only been playing 18 months....there's much more experienced player here who may possibly disagree.
  • edited December 2012
    Yep, pre-flop it's got to be a fold or shove and since we have no fold equity and the opponent is similarly stacked to us, it's a fold. I doubt you'd ever call this 3-bet in a regular MTT and your calling range in a satellite should be an awful lot tighter.

I'm guessing that the starting stack was 2k and it was a 1/5 sat. In that case you just need to focus on that 10k chips figure, steal the blinds once an orbit and wait out the shorter stacks. You don't want to clash all-in with the other chip leaders.

It's important to know which players understand satellite strategy and which don't. Then focus on stealing the blinds of the players who get it and avoid the players that don't. The players who understand satellite strategy will only 3-bet with a predictable, tight range.

Whether Bernie understands the strategy or not, you don't want to get involved here. If he gets it, then his range is premium hands only. If he doesn't get it, his range is still heavily weighted towards big hands and overcards. Just treat TT as the same as 22 when facing a 3-bet. Preserve your stack and fold.