You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

String betting???

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat

/can someone explain to me what this means and why its an illegal move in poker?

I was playing a live tournament the other night and one of the players was continually complaining about this but ive never heard of it before 

Comments

• edited December 2012
    A string bet is when someone raises but doesn't do it in a single motion or action.

For example they would go....I call AND I raise to... Or they put out the chips to call over the betting line and then add more a second or so after.

The reason this isn't allowed is that people can get reads in the split second it does to pull this move and then adjust your action accordingly making it far cheaper for you to bluff.
  • edited December 2012
    Say you wanted to raise you have to move all your chips in at once or announce the amount you want to raise to. Its illegal as say you keep moving more and more chips forward you can gauge a reaction from other players.

So string bet is when you try to raise and keep putting more chips forward. (Apolgoies if this doesnt make much sense I've had a few to drink.)
  • edited December 2012
    Well explained by Scotty and G Emery. What's misleading to new (live) players is almost every TV show or film that features poker annoyingly shows string betting such as "I see your ten... and raise you another ten".

It is your first verbal declaration that is binding so in the case above it would just be a call.

Basically, your opponent has a right to know what your betting intentions are.

• edited December 2012
    This is why id be no good at live poker lol
  • edited December 2012

Thanks for the help lads!