You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

just give up?

edited January 2013 in Poker Chat
ive barely played poker for the last 2 month and every time i attempt to play i just cant be bothered with it. I guess i fell out of love with the game which is weird i wasnt in a losing streak or downswing i dont know if i just overplayed and over thought poker. Just wonder if any the fulltimers have had this problem at sometime and what they did to overcome it or have they not? hopefully will get the bug again soon . . . . or is this a sign that i should just leave the game for good

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I wouldn't say you need to leave it for good, I have felt the same for about 4 months now, mainly due to a new job and having less free time in the evenings. I still find time to play DTD on a monday which I do enjoy. I've found i went from playing everyday to barely playing at all, yet I still check the forum everyday and reading various diaries, threads etc. 

Has anything changed in your life day to day which may be affecting your desire to play? Over the past 2 months, although you stated that you have barely played, have you totally removed yourself from poker? You may just find that one day you load up a game and it all clicks again. 

I know I still love playing, but I find that life at the moment is just too busy and I can't commit much time, thus my play just to be distracted and not play best. 

Hopefully you will get some good points of view and in time find your poker mojo again :) 
  • edited December 2012
    Hi John, 

Was only thinking the other day I had hadn't seen you around much lately. There really is no point in anybody doing anything they don't enjoy, life is too short. However you may have just overplayed and subsequently started to find the game a little tedious, some people get that way, some don't!!

Best not to force yourself to play but if you get the urge one evening, fire up a few tables and see how it goes. A lot of people come back to poker on cold, wet and wintry nights.....you just might have found a more enjoyable way to spend your recreation time ;)
  • edited December 2012
    I felt exactly the same recently so took a bit of a step back to try and figure out why.

For me, I'd started to play for the wrong reasons, I was looking at it as a way to make money rather than as a game to enjoy with the added benefit of making some money.  I've come to the realisation I'm never going to make alot of money out of the game and more importantly realised I don't actually want to if it takes over the rest of my life.

I've started to play alot less, just play when I feel like it and in the games I enjoy and am starting to enjoy my poker again.

My advice to you would be figure out why you play and what has changed to make you lose your love for the game, then make the necessary changes to put it right.  Hope you manage to figure it out and that we see you back at the tables soon, but if a break is what you need then there's alot more to life than playing poker, go enjoy yourself :)
  • edited December 2012
    hi Dr,
    here is my prognosis,
    take the rest of this year off.
    eat drink and be merry during that period
    then u never know....

you might find u get the bug back again.
    i'm not enjoying my poker atm as i'm running horrible,and if it wasn't for the fact i'm going for proirity this month then i would be taking a few days off myself.
    poker will always be an 'up and down' game as so much can be out of your hands at times.
    i'm sure a little break is all that u need mate,come back in the new year with some sort of game plan as to what you would like to be playing and how much and go from there.
    gl buddy.
    have a good xmes
    :)
    dev
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Dr

What an honest post and i've seen these pop up at different times and i've had similar feelings myself.
     One thing you hit upon was about over-thinking your poker. I'm sure that i have(note the stupid Block Theory post in clinic! ha) but i do enjoy reading the forum and dtd plus the THS facebook page etc and the Woogie League. I'm probably a break-even player and not really a gambler at all. It's funny but i seem to enjoy the 'peripherals' more.
    I enjoy reading the poker books, articles and watching the tv programmes but get frustrated playing at times. We all like that buzz but poor plays by myself are more of a downer. silly really as i wouldn't say that i have a good grasp of the game really. It's probably the effort i'm putting into it is disproportionate to the win rate and i'm a bit resentful. Sometimes that fun is a little dependant on whether you cash etc. Also at low stakes you do get some weird plays that drive you crazy as i expect more  prudent decisions shall we say...ha.
    I'm in agreement with the others really. Take a break until you fancy a game or just log in for the monday DTD which i enjoy a lot, like you. It may be that poker hs lost its appeal but the good thing is that there's no pressure to continue is there? Take a step back and make a list of pro's and con's mate. Give yourself a break and see if that list changes in the new year.  Have a good xmas m8.

PS To my mind BALANCE is the key.
  • edited December 2012
    alot lately i am playing for the sake of it not loving the game but making money thats about it playing to much 

pretty much what slyklist has said tbh altho sometimes i dnt want to play but if i dnt play i feel that i am losing out

on money so i have to play as i dnt have a job it is a grind and have to play altho u dnt feel like it i am gonna try

n play during the week and have weekends of that way i will come bk refreshed and focused for the begining of the week 
  • edited December 2012

Take a break Dr and i am sure you will come back refreshed and start to enjoy poker again.I have got to say what Slykllist has articulated is exactly how i am feeling about poker now.

When i first started playing i thought being  a poker pro must be the best job in the world,now i know no matter how good i am at poker (pretty average to be honest) i would hate doing this for a living.

There is so much more to life than poker,however as a recreation it is a wonderful game and if we aint enjoying it there is no point in playing.

• edited December 2012
    Im in the same boat and rarely been on last 2 months, just not getting anywhere and took out my br for christmas, ill come back when im more in the mood, sometimes it takes over and i play every min of every day. Burn out or bad runs will just ruin the enjoyment as it has for me, im having fun on my xbox after a break from that in a long while, when i get bored of that ill come back to poker.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: just give up?:
    Im in the same boat and rarely been on last 2 months, just not getting anywhere and took out my br for christmas, ill come back when im more in the mood, sometimes it takes over and i play every min of every day. Burn out or bad runs will just ruin the enjoyment as it has for me, im having fun on my xbox after a break from that in a long while, when i get bored of that ill come back to poker.
    Posted by Dazler
    been wondering where u and Woogie have been.
    hope Mike is ok,not like him to just disappear.
    have a good xmas dad.  lol
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited December 2012

Hey guys thanks for the great response sorry i havent responded before this but this is first time i been on a poker site since posting this thread. It seems alot people in the same thinking as me still not getting the bug back havent even brung myself to a poker table. I still cant put my finger on what has happend tbh ive been through downswings and all the negative that comes with poker and never stopped playing for as long as this. there is some really open hearted comments here but the one about discovering the xbox relates most lol cant stop playing fifa lol

i think il start watchin games on tv and online to get the feeling back

merry xmas and happy new year guys

• edited December 2012
    Just spotted this thread and just so happens I've started playing again after a 2.5 month poker hiatus, life and work has just gotten in the way and now I feel totally out of practice.
    Annoyingly I dived straight in the deep end and launched multiple tables and then found I overwhelmed myself with action which has put me on an immediate losing streak, lesson here for me is to gently ease myself back in and work my way back to where I was a few months ago. I just find that process in itself frustrating.
    Hopefully I can get myself back into a good place (with poker) over the next week, otherwise work is just going to get in the way again :(

Onwards and upwards for the New Year! :D
  • edited December 2012

yes same as most have said, think I was playing to much not enjoying the game bad beats hurting like hell, lost me b,r so not played for weeks lol,  just started putting me toe back in the poker water, easing back into it, trying cash a bit more than the sng,s and mtt,s I  used to play. funny that I started going down hill after the 2nd in a primo for 1.7 k, and very glad I banked a chunk the day after. happy new year all.

• edited December 2012
    poker is boring - withdraw winnings & spend it = enjoyment

Someone made a very good point, if your playing poker to win money it becomes very dull very quickly.

Play because you want to

• edited January 2013
    i think im going to try the ME tonight to see how i feel playing it hopefully il get up for it. I am bit worried bout how i play tho as said above ive not watched looked read or spoke bout poker since about november so im going to be quite a bit off well wish me luck and hopefully see you guys at the tables thanks again for the response
  • edited January 2013

Good luck. I am no where near as good as alot of players on sky but I have always found a week long break every now and again helpful. Helps clear the mind etc, if you play for for money you can put unessecary stress on yourself when the old bankroll keeps dropping and end up playing too much to regain the loss. Playing Forza 4 stops me from overplaying at the mo and when new GTA game comes out I will not be playing (and sleeping lol) for about 3 months.