You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

this hand is bugging me!

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
hey guys this hand was in the 10k bounty main on a monday night.

I really think I should fold this on this kinda board?

reads on opponent very loose and kinda fishy one hand I raised in the cutoff with k10dd and he min 3 bet wae k9os flop was kj4 there was me,him and the btn in the hand and he c/r flop i fold and btn went allin he calls both have k9 lol

so do you think I should go broke because looking back I think I should fold at least on turn?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance Small blind 50.0050.005502.50 Big blind 100.00150.005062.50 Your hole cardsAA   villianRaise 300.00450.004720.00 Fold    liamboi11Raise 900.001350.004846.00 Fold     Fold    villianCall 600.001950.004120.00Flop  QJ10   villianCheck    liamboi11Bet 975.002925.003871.00villianRaise 1950.004875.002170.00liamboi11Call 975.005850.002896.00Turn  6   villianAll-in 2170.008020.000.00liamboi11Call 2170.0010190.00726.00villianShowAK   liamboi11ShowAA   River  Q   villianWinStraight to the Ace10190.00 10190.00

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Hi L

Well he's raised 3xBB in 1st pos(HJ)but he's called your 3 bet too. You could expect, i feel, a 4 bet if he had JJ+. Some would 4 bet w/ Ak too but then he's got to catch for sure. That flop and his check min raise stinks of AK tbh but he'd probably do the same with AQ. Blank on turn and he shoves but you are getting good odds but i think you probably called with a sigh.
  • edited December 2012
    pretty bad flop for aa but vs this guy i just get it in otf and expect to be ahead a good amount of the time. I prefer getting it in otf cos I doubt he's bluffing, he prob knows that flop hits your range v.strongly too and he'll prob go broke w/ 1pair hands and there's turn cards that will scr ew u over so yeah i just get it in otf. as played u have to call on the turn
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: this hand is bugging me!:
    Hi L Well he's raised 3xBB in 1st pos(HJ)but he's called your 3 bet too. You could expect, i feel, a 4 bet if he had JJ+. Some would 4 bet w/ Ak too but then he's got to catch for sure. That flop and his check min raise stinks of AK tbh but he'd probably do the same with AQ. Blank on turn and he shoves but you are getting good odds but i think you probably called with a sigh.
    Posted by profman15
    yeah thought he would 4bet with 10s+/ak obv I was wrong lol but yeah when flop came down 1st thing a thought was a h8 this flop but really cant check behind.

but yeah when I looked at the hand after I was out the min check raise just looks super strong and is obv beating 1 pair but in game and after seeing how he played the k9 I just went for it.

but cheers for reply profman and percival
  • edited December 2012
    I think you can possibly find a fold on this flop.

I know you've seen this player being a bit spewy before but I think we still need to weight his UTG raise/call range towards mainly two high(ish) cards, usually excluding AK, and pocket pairs below QQ. There may be other hands in this players range but these are still the most likely.

On this flop, even the dopiest player is going to see that the board fits nicely with a pre-flop 3-better's range. The min-raise with just 2170 behind is just never going to be a bluff. If he has one pair with a draw, such as KQ, you'd expect either a shove or a call, not a min-raise.

There is one thing you need to give attention to more than the actual hand, though. This statement; "...looking back I think I should fold at least on the turn?" suggests a flaw in your overall thinking. The decision in this hand is on the flop. If you make the call there is 5850 in the middle and 2170 in your opponent's stack. At this stage, you're committed. You might as well 3-bet all-in on the flop if you decide to go with the hand. Folding at any stage after making the call here would be a major error. It would be particularly difficult to defend folding on a turned 6.

So the fold on the flop would seem to be the best play to me... but in the heat of the moment, given what you've seen before, it's very understandable that you got it in.
  • edited December 2012
    I can remember playing a hand like this a few months ago where the action went almost identical and i folded to the reraise on the flop.  Having asked for some advise on it and seeing the hand on sky poker tv i made the incorrect fold so i sigh get it in.
  • edited December 2012
    I think you can possibly find a fold on this flop. I know you've seen this player being a bit spewy before but I think we still need to weight his UTG raise/call range towards mainly two high(ish) cards, usually excluding AK, and pocket pairs below QQ. There may be other hands in this players range but these are still the most likely. On this flop, even the dopiest player is going to see that the board fits nicely with a pre-flop 3-better's range. The min-raise with just 2170 behind is just never going to be a bluff. If he has one pair with a draw, such as KQ, you'd expect either a shove or a call, not a min-raise. There is one thing you need to give attention to more than the actual hand, though. This statement; "...looking back I think I should fold at least on the turn?" suggests a flaw in your overall thinking. The decision in this hand is on the flop. If you make the call there is 5850 in the middle and 2170 in your opponent's stack. At this stage, you're committed. You might as well 3-bet all-in on the flop if you decide to go with the hand. Folding at any stage after making the call here would be a major error. It would be particularly difficult to defend folding on a turned 6. So the fold on the flop would seem to be the best play to me... but in the heat of the moment, given what you've seen before, it's very understandable that you got it in.
    Posted by BorinLoner

I know i said at least maybe should fold turn but I only said that because by turn I defo know i`m crushed but yeah I agree with you now after looking over the hand its defo a flop decision.

yeah bearlyther when I called the allin it was a big sigh lol but I already invested so much by turn.

and again thanks for replies guys

• edited December 2012
    Well it's all down to what you think oppo raises that flop with,

we can rule out KK, so that only means AQ

unless oppo is raises with KQ type hands - pr + draw

given that fact that oppo flats pre w/AK  -would suggest oppo is not aggro so oppo raising should set alarm bells off
    Depends on what reads you have on oppo

If a passive type suddenly starts raiising, then your in trouble baby

Would be more inclined to get it on the flop, but don't think a fold is bad on that flop - it hits the flat a 3 bet range UTG so hard - if you think oppo is very likely to get it in with top pair AQ/KQ then yeah shove over flop raise
  • edited December 2012
    u have to go broke here the min bet raise loooooks so strong but they could be doing it with a q  or even k q im going broke here all the time
  • edited December 2012
    rancid they cant have kk can they they would 4 bet the  3 bet surely
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Read his post properly