You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Master Cash, Edition 3, Question ONE

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat

Tonight, Saturday, is the third edition of Master Cash, Live from the Studio.

We will be looking to read out your e-Mails with varying opinions & views on THREE questions, here's the first.

The e-addy is.... skyopen@bskyb.com

It's a Heads-Up Cash Game, we have £200 behind, Villain has slightly less.

Our hand is 8h, 3h, & we have the Button. We raise to £6. Villain, naturally, Calls.

Flop = 9h 7s 2c

Villain checks to us.

Do we.....

a) Bet £4

b) Bet £8

c) Bet £12

d) Check

And WHY?

Vote now, please, & Post "why". We will try & read out the most interesting replies Live on air tonight, in Master Cash, between 8pm & 11pm.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    check, get a free card, hope it is one that give u the OESD or the flush draw and then take it from there on the turn. 

Also why has the V checked? to me is suggests strength on that flop (a set / straight draw) or he has missed completely. if you miss the card you want to see on the turn, you can quietly let this hand go to a bet of any substance. 50% of pot or more.

Thats my way of thinking :) and I mean MY way, not even applying anything but GLUM theory of poker here ;)

Glum
  • edited November 2009

I'd play it as though I was holding pocket aces, so bet 3/4 of the pot. If I get called I slow down, if I get raised, I make a re raise. If the re raise gets raised, I admit defeat.

DOHH
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Master Cash, Edition 3, Question ONE:
    I'd play it as though I was holding pocket aces, so bet 3/4 of the pot. If I get called I slow down, if I get raised, I make a re raise. If the re raise gets raised, I admit defeat. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Dohhh am I right in saying that there is a school of thought, that in  live poker if you want to bluff well, you have to visualise you are holding pocket aces, and play your any 2 cards that way no matter what
  • edited November 2009
    I bet £8, in the hope that he folds...

If he reraises im out of there, if he flats, the turn card might bring a flush or str8 draw so it would give me licence to fire a second barrel. (or possibly take a free card)

£12 is a little too much to bet imo and if the turn is not healthy, ive lost an extra £4 i could have kept.

Betting £4 is just odd, you may as well check...
  • edited November 2009
    Standard 3 quarters pot c bet here.
  • edited November 2009
    I would bet £8. 

The chances are that the Villain hasn't hit the flop any more than we have and therefore by putting in a bet there is a chance that we can take the hand down there and then.  £4 would probably not be enough to get the other player off the hand and £12 he might read as a weak hand on our part.

Should he call or reraise we can then get away from the hand relatively cheaply.
  • edited November 2009
    This is why I am terrible at poker....

*creating image for Luton here ppl lol
  • edited November 2009
    I would put an £8.00 continuation bet in.
    If villain then re-raises I can get out of the hand.
  • edited November 2009

re. grimstar....

Well I'm not sure about playing live, I dont do it. But playing cash online especially heads up iyou've gotta be aggressive. Well I think I have. Imagining i'm holding pocket aces/the nuts, makes it easier to make correct, believable, bet sizes and makes the bluff more likely to get through. I make the third raise if it gets that far to get the bloke off an 8. Playing HU with a £200 stack he must be a decent player so i'm not dealing with a top pair donk.

Gimmie position over top pair anyday!

Its an implied play, as if he re re re raises me, probably all in at this point, I have to lay the hand down. Next time, when i DO hold the nuts, I play it exactly the same way and this fella now thinks top pair is always good, so he pays me!

DOHH

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Master Cash, Edition 3, Question ONE:
    re. grimstar.... Well I'm not sure about playing live, I dont do it. But playing cash online especially heads up iyou've gotta be aggressive. Well I think I have. Imagining i'm holding pocket aces/the nuts, makes it easier to make correct, believable, bet sizes and makes the bluff more likely to get through. I make the third raise if it gets that far to get the bloke off an 8. Playing HU with a £200 stack he must be a decent player so i'm not dealing with a top pair donk. Gimmie position over top pair anyday! Its an implied play, as if he re re re raises me, probably all in at this point, I have to lay the hand down. Next time, when i DO hold the nuts, I play it exactly the same way and this fella now thinks top pair is always good, so he pays me! DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That's a real gem, & why these "Quizzes" are so good for so many of us.

That line is sure to be read out tonight, it's a purler.

If you have a view on it, Post it please - this might run & run. Position is SO important, & in H-U, it's monumental.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm betting £8 into the pot, i've got position and if he's hit and reraises then i'm folding without losing too much. I can't give him a free card in case he hits and goes ahead.
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with Phil, standard 3/4 pot C-bet. so hard to make these decsions without player knowledge/history.
  • edited November 2009
    Standard 3/4 PB.
  • edited November 2009
    i would bet 8 see what he does if he raises am out
  • edited November 2009
    Hi guys,
    I would throw out a bet of £8, why well as i was the initial raiser, and heads up is all about aggression and momentum, i definitely do not want to give him a free card. if i get any resistance then i can reassess the situation.

col
  • edited November 2009
    bet £8,heads up is all about aggression after all.
  • edited November 2009
    Being naturally ultra cautious I would never have raised in the first place - are you allowed to say that.  But if I had raised then I would put in the £8 continuation bet.

Jan x
  • edited November 2009
    Im far from an expert so take my reasoning with a pinch of salt peeps, but i would bet £12. My reasoning is ive put a raise in pre flop hoping for a fold. Ive had a call and the flop is really poor, the odds of them calling a £6 raise with trash are remote so you have to put them on either a small pair or rag aces or JQ alike. After the flop if they had small pair or hit a pair with the rags id expect them to put out a feeler bet, they didnt so you have to think they have missed. The reason im saying £12 and not £8 is that i dont want to let them feel they can fish for cards, if they come over the top so be it, get out of there, more often than not they will fold IMO. If this is complete rubbish please tell me tikay lol i wont be offended i dont normally reply on strategy threads because im usually wrong lol
  • edited November 2009
    Im betting the pot here, dont think there that much difference between 8 and 12 in this situation, I just like to do pot size bets once ive missed the flop and am in positition
  • edited November 2009
    I bet c bet £8

I fold to any re-raise, I am hoping to take the pot down here.

Dave
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Rich, tikay

I have gone for the bet £8, because, we have been flat called when we bet £6, so villain is either trying to trap, has flushing/straightening pos or has air, we need to find out where we are, so a C bet is in order, if villain has air, they will more than likely fold, if they have the hand they will prob smooth call, we can then re evaluate on the turn card.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm betting £8 here, I'm thinking he's either hit and he's going to come over the top, or he just want's to see a free card. I've still got a couple of chance's of catching something if he call's. If he reraise's I'm probably out of there, unless I think he's stealing.
  • edited November 2009
    I'd bet the pot here, for the following reasons;

The flop itself seems pretty dry and messy, so if he / she has called a riase pre-flop I'd potentially have him on high-ish cards (slightly idealistic, I understand), but I feel like they would be more likely to fold to a pot-sized bet here with KJ for example.

Also, if he has a hand like 10 J, then a £12 bet takes away his odds of calling for the gut-shot completely.

Then if we get a re-raise then I'd fold it all the way, but I think the strong bet gives us the impetus of the hand.

Finally, it minimises the chances of a bluff re-raise from the Villain.
  • edited November 2009
    Im betting £8 all day long. Hes either checked a big pair which he has called £6 pre-folp or he has an ace high and probably can't call or come back over the top. If he does have a bigger pair to the board he will raise my bet and i will be folding pretty fast!

P.S, Rich you said my player alias wrong. Its rico, as in ricoh stadium (coventrys home ground), rambo and then 3 (my lucky number), so ricoramb03!