You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2012...A GOOD POKER YEAR FOR YOU?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    with 2012 quickly drawing to a close,i was just wondering how this poker year has been for all you other SKY POKER players?
    good or not so good?

pretty good for me.

as for myself...to date.. in profit  (edited so as not to offend anyone)

enjoyed the £40-£1000 dym challenge.

:)
    dev
  • edited December 2012
    I decided to concentrate this year on MTTs and in terms of money I have had a succesfull year online but the downswings that come with playing a lot of MTTs are sometimes not pleasent so next year I am going to try a few different things to mix it up.
  • edited December 2012
    Nice one Dev
    TBH, i'm just pleased to say that i haven't needed to put cash into y account this year so i'll see that as success though it doesn't feel like it at times.
  • edited December 2012
    Well it has been a very up and down year for me this year!

Started off still grinding cash tables, playing 12 tables I think it was of 50nl and making a nice profit. I think it was March I won the open and literally the very next day the wheels came well and truly off! I have no idea why, or how! Without exaggeration overnight I went from being a winning player to someone who couldn't make a profit! "It's just variance" I kept saying.. My BR was slowly going down, if I had a break even session I was seeing that as a win. Then the rakeback would come in and save me.

Out of interest I just looked at my C4P history to check I had the dates right... From Dec 2011 through to May 2012 I made priority and then at this point I must of realised I had to slow down.. Less is more if you will and only made about 3k points! I didn't get above 4.5k until October when I decided to give the King of cash promo a spin. I was back to 12 tabling and 30 and 40nl ... but again I still wasn't making a profit. The fun I get out of poker is having a winning session and seeing my bankroll increase, it's not so much the actual game itself. When my C4P was paid in I got nearly as much in C4P as my entire bankroll was. That's how close I was getting to going busto for the 1st time in 5 years!

November came and I decided I would play DYMs, only a few tables a time and see how that went. They can't be that hard surely? All you have to do is finish top 3 out of 6! I'd never been any good at DYMs before and although I felt I had a good record in the regular Sit N Go's, I hadn't found the magic formula to these.

Straight away I was making profit at them, I felt while only playing 3 or 4 I could really concentrate and get a feel for the tables/players. Something I had not really done for some time due to multi tabling so much. If you had said to me 6 months ago I will be 4 tabling DYMs all night I would of said I'd rather stick pins in my eyes! But you would be surprised just how much your brain is occumpied when playing these formats properly. When you get down to 4 players and you need to know when to fold/shove/call it really is a challenge.

Anyway the profits were good, the C4P was just coming in along side it as a bonus like they should be and I was suddenly loving poker again, all because of a format that I used to hate! (Strange that isn't it?).
    I'm trying for priority this month as you have probably seen in another thread, and come 2013, I want to try and get myself a new shiny star on Sharkscope as my current one is getting a bit old and warn out ;-)

Conclusion!

2012 Started well and ended well but with a massive dip in the middle.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: 2012...A GOOD POKER YEAR FOR YOU?:
    but again I still wasn't making a profit. The fun I get out of poker is having a winning session and seeing my bankroll increase, it's not so much the actual game itself. When my C4P was paid in I got nearly as much in C4P as my entire bankroll was. 
    Posted by FlashFlush

Hi FF, enjoyable read, altho surely you can't put the time & effort you do into poker and REALLY mean this?   Just curious.  Oh and good to see you've ended the year well.

My year - probably around b/e BUT as it's only a hobby & I play low stakes MTT's I'm very happy with that.  oh and I learnt what GIQ means! ;-)
  • edited December 2012
    GIQ
    Posted by rancid
    i'm a winning player,have worked hard at it,and see no reason not to let it be known.
    if others choose not to tell of their success that's their choice.
    as to GIQ yes maybe the best policy,and as my b/roll grows i won't bore you all with it.
    just thought it might be an intesting topic to open up,but clearly you all have your own reserved views on it.
    :)
    dev
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: 2012...A GOOD POKER YEAR FOR YOU? : Hi FF, enjoyable read, altho surely you can't put the time & effort you do into poker and REALLY mean this?   Just curious.  Oh and good to see you've ended the year well. My year - probably around b/e BUT as it's only a hobby & I play low stakes MTT's I'm very happy with that.  oh and I learnt what GIQ means! ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    I really don't play THAT much poker. I do lots of small sessions as I get bored really quickly. I tend to only play from about 8pm - 10.30 (But most nights) and then I just stop loading more tables because I've had my fix of poker for the night. I'm definitely not a grinder at heart. I tried that all night grind a couple of months ago, and only got to about 2am and was bored out of my skull.

When it gets to the evening my mindset is, "right lets play poker and make some money" so when I don't win I get pee'd off and the Mrs gets really arsey with me because I'm just moaning at the computer. When I do have a winning session though it puts me in a good bubbly mood (Which also pees the Mrs of... We have a strange relationship! lol)
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: 2012...A GOOD POKER YEAR FOR YOU? : i'm a winning player,have worked hard at it,and see no reason not to let it be known. if others choose not to tell of their success that's their choice. as to GIQ yes maybe the best policy,and as my b/roll grows i won't bore you all with it. just thought it might be an intesting topic to open up,but clearly you all have your own reserved views on it. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    This is a long standing debate... people will never agree because everyone is different. Personally I like to share my success with people as I see it as an achievement and something (like you said) that we have worked hard for. The are occasions when it's just constant bragging though which a few people don't know where the line is (I don't think you are one of those FWIW).
  • edited December 2012
    Well 2012 was my debut year of playing poker for real money (live or online).
    Only joined as a recreational player and still play as that now.

Deposited £50 last Xmas and had a play around on the cash tables as i didn't really know what i was doing or what games to play (was advised that cash was where "proper" poker is played!).
    Lost about £25 on the cash tables so reloaded another £25 to start afresh and discovered DYM's, which i still play now.

Really enjoy the forum and all the banter that goes on , esp the Monday night DTD where i play for the Hitsquad.
    Won one DTD mtt and finished top of the league one week , which was a buzz.

To sum up i've deposited a total of £75 and i've currently got about £155 in my BR, so i've had a years entertainment and still in profit.

2013 will be continuing to play for fun with a little learning along the way.

KTF!
    Mick
  • edited December 2012
    Yes!

Admittedly I made less profit overall than in 2011 or 2010, but even so it was still a healthy 4-figure sum. I'm a low-stakes recreational player, how can I be anything but happy if I've had a whole load of fun playing the games and made a bit of money too? I enjoy playing poker, it's exciting, I'd play exactly the same volume if I merely broke even.

Highlight was definitely the thrilling 4-day heater which saw me complete my £51---- />£1,051 bankroll challenge, as documented from start to finish here in GPC. It hadn't been an easy ride (I got stuck on ~£130 for 6 weeks in the early stages, later dropped £145 in a month-long downswing, failed to get a win from the first 36x £5.75 Bounty Hunter final tables), but it finished in style just before my birthday and I was delighted. The bottle of champagne I'd kept aside for completion day had gathered quite a bit of dust by then, but it went down a treat!

Happy times in 2012, after a long tough slog the chart goes through the roof at the end of my b/roll challenge
     (click to enlarge);

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/questsharkscope.png/
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: 2012...A GOOD POKER YEAR FOR YOU? : This is a long standing debate... people will never agree because everyone is different. Personally I like to share my success with people as I see it as an achievement and something (like you said) that we have worked hard for. The are occasions when it's just constant bragging though which a few people don't know where the line is (I don't think you are one of those FWIW).
    Posted by FlashFlush
    +1 if I ever win anything I'll brag forever ;)

Results and statistics are interesting. 

It's annoying when people only mention their wins, and never their losses. But that in turn is better than people constantly moaning about their losses and not mentioning their wins! ha

Thats why I rate sharkskope, there's no place to hide. Unless you block everything (sigh)

-------

To OP, compared to previous years, rubbish, but on paper won a v healthy chunk of dosh again! :)  3/10 ! 

• edited December 2012
  • edited December 2012
    Whats GIQ?
    Posted by jonjo75
    Get It Quietly
  • edited December 2012
    Get It Quietly
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: 2012...A GOOD POKER YEAR FOR YOU? : i'm a winning player,have worked hard at it,and see no reason not to let it be known. if others choose not to tell of their success that's their choice. as to GIQ yes maybe the best policy,and as my b/roll grows i won't bore you all with it. just thought it might be an intesting topic to open up,but clearly you all have your own reserved views on it. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    tis fine if you want to brag ) Power to your elbow !

Just prefer to GIQ or LIQ these days-) Unless someone wants to sharkscope me !!! Thank god you can't scope the cash games :D

Just the nature of poker, where you swing and everyone loves to brag - but it's no fun talking about your losses during a downswing -_-

What sticks in my mind is a few comments from Nick, the guest on last nights show - some great insights into our thought processes when we play poker and how we are pre programmed in a certain way where we have a certain expectation and how this does not sit very well with us when we play poker - as poker goes against all our emotional tendancies --

love dat )

• edited December 2012
    start of the year wasnt great then in april i deposited £50 and spun it upto £600 in july but blew the lot being stupid on the roulletes

then i had my last £50 at the begining of october and had the best 2 months on poker turned it to over 3k

Welcome stephen (IDONKCALLU) . Last login: 12/12/2012 at 00:00 £3,610.35

so u could say its been a very good year i am always trying to improve i have a few leaks in my game that need to be ironed out but always playing and learning each day and its good to speak to poker buddy dohhhhh bearlyther and my freind rivermunky get some gd feedback i think having poker buddys to analyse hands helps me