You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SATS,WHAT IS THE KEY?

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
Please please help me if you can.I cannot seem to get through in a sattelite.I do well at cash and run deep and mostly cash or final table if not win in mtts but i just do not seem to qualify in sats.I think my ratio is about 1 in 15 whereas in mtts im like cashing 1 in 5.Is there a certain strategy or am i just being very unlucky? Your thoughts or advice please.dav

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I do better in Satellites than in any other format, don't know why i play the same game. I think people are just a bit looser.

So my advice would be play tight through the first few levels, then get your chips in when you need to.
  • edited November 2009
    key to the sats dav your not there to win all uwant do is get the sat so u can get main touney
  • edited November 2009
    The key is dont play them just buy in direct lol
  • edited November 2009
    The key is not to lose all of your chips :)

As Torry said....just buy-in direct lol
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the input guys/gals.Im in now......via a sat....lol
  • edited November 2009
    well done m8  there just a cheap way of getting in
  • edited November 2009

Ive never ever gotten through a sattellite other than a 100 runner all in lottery on my previous site.
    I think its because in MTTS im always playing, from hand 1, to make the final table, but not only to make it, to get there with a stack big enough to win it.

In sats, maybe Im guilty of not adapting to 20th being worth the same as 1st!

Maybe this is the case with you i'm not sure?

Lesson is, dnt mess with em just buy in! lol

DOHH

• edited November 2009
      One of the key issues in sats over normal yournys is the changing of gears. In a normal tourny you have to be more aggressive as the tourny progresses, but in a sat one of the tactics is too become more passive. If you can get a good stack together and be well in the qualifying bracket then you can start to play less hands and them more passively because evryone will be chasing to qualify.

The main thing is you are not trying to win it but just to qualify so you can avoid any confrontation with a big stack because they can knock you out. The whole essence is to get a good stack together before you get close to the bubble time. Once that arrives the chips will start to fly around with big stacks bullying and small stacks desperate to double through. If you can comfortably avoid getting involved at this time then you will be fine
  • edited November 2009
    sats, key word is survival

keep tight, wait for the great hands and profit on them. When it comes to the bubble, judge whether you are a shorty or not based on the other players at the bubble. If you dont think you're a shorty then you literallly can just sit and wait :)