You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask the Expert.....

edited March 2010 in Sky Poker Live
This is your chance to ask the Sky Poker experts / analysts - anything! 

Post your questions here and we will put them to the Sky Poker team during one of our shows!

No question is too big or too small! 

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Pre flop pot odds!

Every so often I find myself in a situation where i'm in the blinds with something like 7/2, 10/4 etc but i'm getting something like 4-1 or more to make the call. Do we generally call in these situations looking for a miracle flop or just leave it well alone? Also, what if you're getting these sort of odds with these type of hands but it's maybe 2/3 or 1/4 of your stack to call? It's something that I always struuggle with.
  • edited June 2009

Bob, you don't have to Call with anything, pot odds or not.

Raising is better, as a default setting......they might have air, & Pass!
  • edited June 2009
    Hey Bob,

You've probably seen some cash poker on TV where you see pros call all the time with REAL 'marginal' (i.e. rubbish!) hands. The key thing when you see someone like Neil Channing call is that you'll notice he is generally in late position, and following a few callers, so getting something juicy like 5:1 on his money. These are situations where you can hit a miracle flop and get paid of majorly by someone over-playing AK or some small pocket pair that doesn't improve. Even if you DON'T hit your miracle flop, you can then still use your position to out-play an opponent if they show any signs of weakness later in the hand.

In tournaments this isn't such a great idea as every chip is so valuable, and you can waste too many chips chasing dreams, but it can work well in a cash scenario - especially against predictable opponents.

Happy hunting.

M
  • edited July 2009
    could anyone explain weighted averages to me
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Ask the Expert.....:
    This is your chance to ask the Sky Poker experts / analysts - anything!  Post your questions here and we will put them to the Sky Poker team during one of our shows! No question is too big or too small! 
    Posted by Sky_TVcrew

Hiya 

Have started playing STT DYM come across a lot of tight tables so how much of chip stack would you gamble to sus out the table   also  for tourney's  please

Cheers    DTWBANDIT
  • edited July 2009
    I was wondering what the best way to play hands such as suited connectors, suited aces and medium aces from the small blind is? Generally i have trouble with this especially when it's folded round to me, i've tried a variety of things but generally get myself into trouble.

Thanks.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask the Expert.....:
    I was wondering what the best way to play hands such as suited connectors, suited aces and medium aces from the small blind is? Generally i have trouble with this especially when it's folded round to me, i've tried a variety of things but generally get myself into trouble. Thanks.
    Posted by kirstii
    hey Kirstii

U know there are never any easy answers, but to kinda give you some thoughts...
    1) suited connectors in SB. Get in cheap, don't call pre-flop raises, and ONLY continue if you have a GREAT connection with the flop.
    2)Suited aces. Again, get in cheap, and only continue for a chunk of chips if you have a great connection with the flop (and re-think if you get lots of action from anyone else in the hand)
    3) Medium Aces. Just fold. Seriously. You'll save yourself a LOT of pain.

Hope that kinda helps!

matt
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask the Expert..... : hey Kirstii U know there are never any easy answers, but to kinda give you some thoughts... 1) suited connectors in SB. Get in cheap, don't call pre-flop raises, and ONLY continue if you have a GREAT connection with the flop. 2)Suited aces. Again, get in cheap, and only continue for a chunk of chips if you have a great connection with the flop (and re-think if you get lots of action from anyone else in the hand) 3) Medium Aces. Just fold. Seriously. You'll save yourself a LOT of pain. Hope that kinda helps! matt
    Posted by MBroughton
    Matt,
    I know your good at your job, and god knows youve helped me before, but wouldnt suited aces mean the game is bent. lololol
    col
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask the Expert..... : Matt, I know your good at your job, and god knows youve helped me before, but wouldnt suited aces mean the game is bent. lololol col
    Posted by mr_mbro

You've aroused my suspicions now! In a recent game he claimed his suited Aces beat my pocket Jokers - I disagreed but the fixed Sky servers favoured him :-/

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask the Expert..... : hey Kirstii U know there are never any easy answers, but to kinda give you some thoughts... 1) suited connectors in SB. Get in cheap, don't call pre-flop raises, and ONLY continue if you have a GREAT connection with the flop. 2)Suited aces. Again, get in cheap, and only continue for a chunk of chips if you have a great connection with the flop (and re-think if you get lots of action from anyone else in the hand) 3) Medium Aces. Just fold. Seriously. You'll save yourself a LOT of pain. Hope that kinda helps! matt
    Posted by MBroughton
    Cheers Matt just got back from holiday, been back playing for a couple of days and that has greatly helped me, has always been a problem area in my game so thanks a lot for the tips!
  • edited July 2009
    Posted by MBroughton
    LOL. You mean you NEVER get AhAh? Wow - I have a special button I press!

Needless to say I mean Ah7h, Ad9d, etc cheeky chops. :)

M
  • edited August 2009
    Hi,, myself and a mate are setting up some live events for where i live, N.Ireland.  The amount of people will steadly grow as word of mounth works it's charm..  1 thing we're stuck on tho,, and that paying out the 10% of the field. We don't know how to break it down , especially as the amount of people will get bigger.. any feed back on this would be very appreciated .. Lee,,
    Posted by IrishWOLF
    You have to have a max number of people aloud to play, always... then hold semi-final nights leading up to the grand final, just like on skybet, so many go throught each night to the last table/s, this way you will know exactly what you have to pay out, hope this helps....
  • edited September 2009
    why do you speak about x ammount of big blinds left. e.g.  blinds are 100/200. my chips are2000. you say "I HAVE ONLY 10 BIG BLINDS LEFT" This implies I have only 10 rounds of the deal, if I dont make any bets. But surely I have less than 7 deals taking into account the small blinds. Also some of the "experts" are always on about %'s I would need the mathematics of carol vorderman to work out the percents etc. in  the  time the hands move round there just isn't enough time online to do these calculations.
                                                                     acad148
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask the Expert.....For TIKAY:
    ... some of the "experts" are always on about %'s I would need the mathematics of carol vorderman to work out the percents etc. in  the  time the hands move round there just isn't enough time online to do these calculations.                                                                  acad148
    Posted by acad148
    I'm not an expert so shouldn't be answering, but go to google and type in "poker calculator". You'll find loads of free online poker calculators that will calculate the exact odds at any step of the way. You can pick your cards, opponents' cards, flop, turn, number of opponents, draws.....everything. They're well worth playing with for an hour or two as you come up with all manner of simulations. Give it a go. You'll have all the odds off pat after just a couple of hours.
  • edited November 2009
    is there  any  online   where u  can  watch  wsop  final  table  this  weekend
  • edited November 2009
    lost last 3 heads up in deepstacks any tips / tried aggresive and traping , tried bluffing failed in all three deepstacks .
  • edited November 2009
    Hi - only been playing a couple of months so please excuse if you've heard this before. I play in sit & go's and tournemants only so far. My issue is I seem to be taking out pots when I know i'm ahead i.e overbetting to finish hands off. I seem to get quite deep in tournaments and cashing in the few events I've played but am generally relatively short stacked compared to the final tables. Should I try to maximize my positions and risk players catching me up on the turn / river. In the 3 bounty hunters I've played i've reached 2 final tables but not taken heads.

Cheers Steve - Cheshire
  • edited November 2009
    playing  poker    few  years    mostley    cash   whats  the  best  stratages     start   middle   and  end   of  the  tourney
  • edited November 2009
    I keep having bad beats in MTT with 10 10.  Doesn't matter if it is early or mid tournament. I have tried to vary it, sometimes slow play, other times aggressive. Doesn't seem to matter. Last night in two tournaments, I got the hand in both within 10 minutes. In one I got knocked out, in the other I remembered my beat but still lost a lot of chips but stayed in.

How do you play 10 10 to get paid more often than not?
  • edited November 2009
    TKO - why no Praise for team Tikay for wipping the floor with team orford. What class. Can team Tikay be stopped? I think not what do you guys say?
  • edited December 2009
    can someone press the backup button on the remote please, m watchin the sky poker tv online. lol
  • edited January 2010
    HI CAN ANYONE THERE TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET THE CLEAR POKER CHIP YOU SHOW DURING THE BREAKS ON SHOW

BE MOST GREATFUL
    STEVE

• edited February 2010
    hey guys love the show...i am beggining my career on skypoker but have been playing 5 years or more and already last monday 1st feb finished 1st and second in two headhunters at the same time..i was unlucky not to win both not bad eh?...i love playin cash games but am finding out that i aint bad in tournies either, in fact i have well over 60 cashes on pkr and already quite a few on here....im guttered i missed the total player i woulda loved it...i have never had any hands analyzed on here and i would love you to dig my two tournies from monday 1st of feb to have a look at me IAMANGRY  - 07590686130