You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bingo Player or Bad Play?

In a satellite, Sitting first of 20 with 6.3k in Chips.

Im in the BB and staring down at AK.

utg flat calls, it folds around to me and i make a 3x raise.

UTG has 4.7k in chips, sitting nicely in around 5th. And he moves All-in.

I called and he turns over A8. Obviously it's sky so the 8 hits. (Joke)

So, Bingo Player or Should i of Check, not raised. Or should i of called his All-in?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Bingo Player or Bad Play?:
    In a satellite, Sitting first of 20 with 6.3k in Chips. Im in the BB and staring down at AK. utg flat calls, it folds around to me and i make a 3x raise. UTG has 4.7k in chips, sitting nicely in around 5th. And he moves All-in. I called and he turns over A8. Obviously it's sky so the 8 hits. (Joke) So, Bingo Player or Should i of Check, not raised. Or should i of called his All-in?
    Posted by HartshorN
    You've done nothing wrong here, unfortunately this was one of the the 1 in 4 times that he hits his card.

In a satellite - as chip leader - I'd have played the hand the same way, you have to play aggresively and put pressure on the other players, you cannot be knocked out if you lose a hand which is a huge advantage.

As for his move, if I was in his position, I'd have either raised the minimum/2.5xBB or folded. By raising it as opposed to limping UTG, you are finding out where you are in the hand, he limped and then risked his stack with the A8 when he pushed, the only way he was finding out if you had the better hand was if you called, you did, you called and he got lucky.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks Kevilfish.

What annoys me more is that if im 3x raises i haven't got jack and he's risking his tournament on A8. Confuses me.
  • edited November 2009
    no u was unlucky some will call anything with an ace but then again i would have folded ak not there to win just win sat in to main one
  • edited November 2009

FOR ME I THINK ITS A FOLD TO THE ALL IN YOU PUT IN THE RAISE TO TEST THE WATER THE SHOVE ASKS YOU THE QUESTION DO YOU WANT TO GAMBLE ALL YOUR WORK TO GET TO CHIP LEADER ON AK. 
    ITS NOT JUST ABOUT GETTING IN AHEAD YOUVE STILL GOT TO WIN THE RACE 

• edited November 2009
    You got so unlucky there, but with it being a satellite, and you're chip leader, why not fold. You're not playing to win, unless there's only one seat available
  • edited November 2009
    I think a lot really depends on how many seats there are up for grabs. You haven't mentioned what the blinds were at this stage so I don't know how much you'd have left behind if you folded but I'm guessing you wouldn't have been pot committed?

If there's only 2-3 seats up for grabs then I see no problem with the call as you've got him dominated and he got lucky and you'd probably have to take a gamble somewhere along the line with 20 left.
  • edited November 2009
    in a regular tournament i maybe make the call, but in a sattelite why gamble your chips?

limp with an over the top all in smells fishy to me... (Aces) but this time he had junk, next time someone does this you could be just passing your chips over