You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

10NL - Turned a set, lost the lot... thoughts?

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Any thoughts on my line here? I was tempted to iso from the button, but took the route of trying to go multi-way for my set.

No notes, aint seen villian before, had not long sat down and hadn't seen anything funky yet.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
poshjule29 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £1.63
XXX Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £6.64
  Your hole cards

suneerja Fold        
matrixxs Fold        
grommit100 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £4.22
Lambert180 Call   £0.10 £0.35 £11.25
poshjule29 Call   £0.05 £0.40 £1.58
XXX Raise   £0.30 £0.70 £6.34
grommit100 Fold        
Lambert180 Call   £0.30 £1.00 £10.95
poshjule29 Fold        
Flop

• K

XXX Check        
Lambert180 Check        
Turn

XXX Bet   £0.40 £1.40 £5.94
Lambert180 Raise   £1.20 £2.60 £9.75
XXX Call   £0.80 £3.40 £5.14
River

• Q

XXXX Check        
Lambert180 All-in   £9.75 £13.15 £0.00
XXX All-in   £5.14 £18.29 £0.00
Lambert180 Unmatched bet   £4.61 £13.68 £4.61
XXX Show
  • K
  • K

Lambert180 Show

XXX Win Three Kings £12.65   £12.65

Comments

• edited December 2012
    lol same as other thread

thread title awful
    results in thread awful and unhlepful.

overlimp > iso vs the 40bb limper imo.

why do we check the flop?
    why do you raise the turn?
    what other hands to you raise the K96r 8bd turn with other than 88......
    why jam river if he's got top set? :p
  • edited December 2012
    Raise pre-flop. Even if you hit your set multi-way, it's much more difficult to stack people in limped pots so your implied odds aren't as good as you think. Raise and be content if you get no action pre-flop. If your opponents had weak hands that couldn't call a raise, then the chances of i) you flopping a set at the same time as ii) they flop a hand to pay you off were going to be very slim if you had limped behind anyway, so you wouldn't be missing out on the set-mining value.

In the blinds, limping isn't so bad because it's going to be tough to play out of position if you raise and go multi-way anyway. In position, life's going to be really easy down the streets. Don't get hung up on this idea of going multi-way with pocket pairs to set-mine. It works much better in raised pots.

Definitely check back the flop. No reason to bet as you can't be called by worse.

Raise bigger on the turn for the same reasons as in the other hand.

Value bet more normally on the river. If he hasn't got two-pair or better, he won't call the shove and if he does have two-pair or better he'll probably raise you anyway.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL - Turned a set, lost the lot... thoughts?:
    lol same as other thread thread title awful results in thread awful and unhlepful. overlimp > iso vs the 40bb limper imo. why do we check the flop? why do you raise the turn? what other hands to you raise the K96r 8bd turn with other than 88...... why jam river if he's got top set? :p
    Posted by beaneh
    ...and beaneh says completely the opposite to me moments before I post. lol

Okay, so why do you prefer overlimping?
  • edited December 2012
    meh I don't mind overlimping but I think villain is just deep enough and we have too strong a hand to limp behind, if we have 22-55 then it's better to limp here imo. 66-88 we can iso raise to like 30p
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL - Turned a set, lost the lot... thoughts?:
    In Response to Re: 10NL - Turned a set, lost the lot... thoughts? : ...and beaneh says completely the opposite to me moments before I post. lol Okay, so why do you prefer overlimping?
    Posted by BorinLoner

against the 40bb stack even IP, he's gonna limp call alot and then not worry about stacking off with 40bb compared to 100. and we can't bet down the streets as much and on so many flops there are 2 or more overcards and we know jack sheeeet about our oppos limping and limp/calling ranges. would rather just overlimp flop a set pot pot shove and double him up, rather than iso cbet call ai on Q72r and get shown Q6s every ruddy time :p
    with reads bet/folding flops etc becomes easier and can make iso raising more +ev.
  • edited December 2012
    Aye, I understand what you're saying about our opponent not worrying about stacking off on boards with overcards... but do we really need reads to fold to aggression on those flops?

Obviously raising pre and c-betting's not going to be as profitable against random limp-callers as against known limp-callers but if we just make the assumption that limp-callers generally aren't going to take off betting or raising as bluffs are we not still going to make lots of easy money? I don't think we need to bet/call that Q72 flop. The pain in the backside is when he flats the flop then leads the 2 turn but most of the time when we c-bet the flop we can make easy decisions and get a free river when he check/calls the flop and checks the turn(Not that we need to bet every flop). Should we be losing anything more than 8-9BB in this hand when we do go behind on the flop?

Of course we'll come across players that do decide to limp-call pre-flop then take off raising with nothing or weaker than 88 but the majority won't. We ought to figure those guys out pretty quickly anyway.