You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Once again What would you guys have done

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I know that i was bluffing and i didn't raise preflop where maybe i should have but he didn't raise preflop either so i put him on a reasonably poor starting hand maybe low connectors offsuit but then he was calling me all the way and when i saw his hand i was gobsmacked that he had gone all the way with his hand so i thought i would post up and see what you guys thought
Ratty596 Small blind  100.00 100.00 6400.00
tomelder Big blind  200.00 300.00 7750.00
 Your hole cards

Haemophile Call  200.00 500.00 2725.00
jason885 Fold     
Richie_L Fold     
donkey303 Raise  600.00 1100.00 4212.50
Ratty596 Fold     
tomelder Fold     
Haemophile Call  400.00 1500.00 2325.00
Flop

• J

Haemophile Bet  400.00 1900.00 1925.00
donkey303 Call  400.00 2300.00 3812.50
Turn

Haemophile Bet  1150.00 3450.00 775.00
donkey303 Call  1150.00 4600.00 2662.50
River

Haemophile All-in  775.00 5375.00 0.00
donkey303 Call  775.00 6150.00 1887.50
Haemophile Show
What do you think he had????

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Don't limp pre, especially when you have like 13xBB. Don't limp and call a raise from this stack either, got to jam or fold, and it's a fold for me.

Don't donkbet the flop tiny when you've been raised pre and couldn't have missed the flop much more (apart from the GS).

Just check/fold the flop (which is why you shouldn't call pre). If you wanna bluff at it after calling pre, your only real option is to just open jam the flop because of how small your stack is.
  • edited December 2012
    You say he didnt raise pre but from what i can see you limped he raised the button.
    You bet to small on flop.
    Why bet 1150 on turn leaving yourself 775? Either bet it all or check fold.
    Once you get a call on the turn there is no way he can fold the river so why bet when you have nowt and he cant fold?
    He prob calls with Ace high or very small pair.

Apart from all that as Lambert says you had a 13bb stack you should never be limping in and then flatting a raise with this stack.
  • edited December 2012
    He did raise pre-flop:
    donkey303 Raise  600.00 1100.00 4212.50
    His range is quite wide for calling you on the flop, turn and river here but all of it beats 9-high. Your play is what you need to focus on.

I don't wish to be hard on you because we were all inexperienced once. However your hands show a real lack of understanding of some of the fundamentals.

I tend to write long and detailed responses to clinic posts but there are a lot of things that need addressing in your play. If I go into detail on each of them I'd be here all day. The best advice I can offer is to do some reading. The books that improved my game the most were "Harrington On Hold 'em" volumes 1 and 2 (Don't need to bother with Vol.3). They'll give you a better grasp of the fundamentals than anyone can do by writing on this forum, mainly because people on this forum can't write in as much detail.

There's nothing wrong with being a beginner. Unfortunately it's really difficult for clinic posters to be of much help if you don't have a base-level of understanding of particular elements of the game.

I'll give some brief thoughts on this hand in another post but unquestionably your game would benefit most from reading some books.
  • edited December 2012

Firstly, what kind of tournament is this and what was the buy-in?

I was going to write a fair bit but others have posted while I was composing. Jonjo and Lambert have addressed alot of the mistakes with your play and there's not a huge amount for me to add.

Limping pre-flop is bad.

With your 15BB stack size you shouldn't really be thinking about seeing flops. You need to be thinking about either raising to try to get stacks in or folding pre-flop. You can just shove sometimes but 15BB is the upper limit for open-shoving. From UTG with 9-high and 15BB, you should just be folding...

You need to think about your plan for future action before you act. Your play looks like you're not thinking ahead at what might happen and how you'll react to it. You need to have a plan for the flop before you act pre-flop.

You talk about the range of hands you and your opponent can have based on the previous action and it's good that you're thinking about that. When you make the min-donk-bet on the flop, what do you think your opponent will think of your range for limp-calling pre-flop then betting out small on this flop? What do you think of your opponent's range for raising pre-flop? - Those are the questions you need to ask before you decide to bet the flop.

What do you think of your opponent's range after calling the flop bet? What do you think your hand looks like after the flop action? How does this turn card affect the range that you are representing? How does this turn card affect your opponent's range? What do you want to achieve when betting this turn and is it reasonable to believe that you can achieve those goals by betting? - Those are the questions you need to ask before betting the turn.

• edited December 2012
    actually i change that to AQ
  • edited December 2012
    Its either fold or jam pre mate with that stack , he could be stealing due to the limpage goin on.

Its the same on flop fold or jam i dont like the call with your 5 bbs left.

The turn is 10000% fold all day even if hes blufifng your never in good shape.

Im gunna just go ahead and say he had 10 9 of clubs