You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

newbie needing some real help please

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
hey all

Guys i am struggling here and need some help. i have tried MTT, cash and DYM. I know card strenghs and a bit about position but for some reaason i can not cash out in any MTT or always see to be losing all my cash in the cash games.

All i can think of it is the way i am playing them, But as an example i used sky pokers bllog about DYM play and strategy but still can seem to cash out in a 60p game.

i know it is how i am playing i just cant see what i am doing wrong. Is their any tips? i know it i a bit vague on the details.

Cheers all and thanks for any help you can all give. PS i have watched sky poker school a few hundred times :S

GMD1701

Comments

• edited December 2012
    If you are learning then play the lowest stakes available and regularly review your hands. Look out for hands where you won or lost a lot of money and work out how it happened. Be honest with yourself and play loads of poker. Loads. If you have played 10 MMTs for example and not cashed in any of them it doesn't mean you suck. Similarly if you have played for a couple of hours at a 5p/10p table and won £30 this does mean you are playing well.

Play more and then play even more than that would be my advice
  • edited December 2012
    Hi gnd

Wow...you're not asking for much then!
    Cash...steer clear of for the mo.

Dym..the ABC article? Excellent but at a 60p level, a lot of the players just play random hands and press call based on if theres a 's' or something on that day of the week. Don't expect them to know what they should do. Sometimes you can give players too much respect! Make yourself a chart and a plan of cards to play at the various levels. Playing slightly more expensive DYM's will allow you to play opponents with a better idea of what to do andbe less of a lottery.

MTT's ....get yourself a basic hand for positions chart. It will tell you what to raise in what position at the table. Then you must consider plays for when your chip stack is at a certain size. You must learn the basics of wheter a bet is acceptable according to the pot odds you are given. Sounds to me like your stack is getting dwindled down so that other players call your AI's and suck out. You need to have plays in your poker locker such as resteals, stop and go etc for particular stack sizes and particulat hands. I'm still learning but i can see theimportance of it. Why not play a few cheap deep stacks for cheap in order to get used to the hands you should play. Also there's more post flop play.
    There are so many other things but......

Hand chart and plays for particular size of stacks is key, i feel, in MTT's. After a while you will get a feel for YOUR game and whether you feel the need to change gears in a different stage of a T. Hope this helps a bit. There's so much.
    PS Use the forum esp poker clinic ...you will learn a lot. GL m8
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: newbie needing some real help please:
    Hi gnd Wow...you're not asking for much then! Cash...steer clear of for the mo.  Dym..the ABC article? Excellent but at a 60p level, a lot of the players just play random hands and press call based on if theres a 's' or something on that day of the week. Don't expect them to know what they should do. Sometimes you can give players too much respect! Make yourself a chart and a plan of cards to play at the various levels. Playing slightly more expensive DYM's will allow you to play opponents with a better idea of what to do andbe less of a lottery. MTT's ....get yourself a basic hand for positions chart. It will tell you what to raise in what position at the table. Then you must consider plays for when your chip stack is at a certain size. You must learn the basics of wheter a bet is acceptable according to the pot odds you are given. Sounds to me like your stack is getting dwindled down so that other players call your AI's and suck out. You need to have plays in your poker locker such as resteals, stop and go etc for particular stack sizes and particulat hands. I'm still learning but i can see theimportance of it. Why not play a few cheap deep stacks for cheap in order to get used to the hands you should play. Also there's more post flop play. There are so many other things but...... Hand chart and plays for particular size of stacks is key, i feel, in MTT's. After a while you will get a feel for YOUR game and whether you feel the need to change gears in a different stage of a T. Hope this helps a bit. There's so much. PS Use the forum esp poker clinic ...you will learn a lot. GL m8
    Posted by profman15
    cheers both, will try a step up in DYM also the deep stack idea. just drawing up a chart of hands now :)

GMD1701
  • edited December 2012

:D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D

5 DYMS and 5 cash outs!!! cheers guys. i may finally have started to find something that works to build my bankroll up :D

Cheers again

GMD1701

• edited December 2012
    :D:D:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D 5 DYMS and 5 cash outs!!! cheers guys. i may finally have started to find something that works to build my bankroll up :D Cheers again GMD1701
    Posted by gmd1701
     Nice one gnd

I'm made up for you. Now about my %........
    Cheers.
    PS Now start making notes on the playes on any non standard plays they make. Good luck and keep in touch m8
  • edited December 2012
    will do prog thanks. :D

only things ith DYMs is time. they seem to take forever lol. could the same principle and strat be taken into low stakes cash?

GMD
  • edited December 2012
    Nobody who has played poker had instant success. Success in poker requires time, patience and skill. I would recommend keeping away from the cash games at this stage and concentrate more on sit and go's. Also, If you are trying to build a bankroll, you won't do this by playing MTT's, to get a cash return in an MTT a small percentage of the time is a good result. Make sure you take player notes on your opponents, believe me they help. Read books, play regular and in time you will become a winning player. Good luck.
  • edited December 2012
    will do prog thanks. :D only things ith DYMs is time. they seem to take forever lol. could the same principle and strat be taken into low stakes cash? GMD
    Posted by gmd1701[/QUOTE

Sorry m8, i couldn't tell you. cash is a bit of a different beast and i don't play it.
  • edited December 2012
    will do prog thanks. :D only things ith DYMs is time. they seem to take forever lol. could the same principle and strat be taken into low stakes cash? GMD
    Posted by gmd1701
    DYM strategy (in general) can definitely not be applied to cash. In DYMs, all that matters is survival and making sure you have 1 chip left when you get down to 3 people.

Cash is a WHOLE different ballgame.

There's still a lot of fundamentals you can learn and use anywhere like getting disciplined about what hands you fold pre, what hands you will 3bet, what hands you call a 3bet with etc. Practicing how to narrow down the number of hands your opponent could have, practicing how big your bet/raises should be preflop and postflop.

Focus on getting the basics right first.
  • edited December 2012
    Hi gmd the first thing you need to accept is that you are on a long journey when you start playing poker.The guys have given you some good advice and it seems like you are willing to learn so i wish you all the best.

I can give you some advice which has helped my cash game and should help you as well.Like yourself i was not doing well in cash at nl4 ,instead of multitabling i  played a single table and really concentrated on putting my opponents on a hand range.

After every session i went through the hands and slowly but surely my abilty to define a hand range improved.
    You wont get it right every time no one will but if you couple this with making notes on your opponents you will improve.

• edited December 2012
    cheers all.

foucsing on DYM definately helping with hands and when to play what.

GMD
  • edited December 2012
    If you're a new player and haven't done so already, then read some books. You won't go far wrong reading "Harrington On Hold 'em" Volumes 1 and 2. They're excellent for teaching the fundamentals.

As it happens, I don't think you need to play an enormous amount to make big improvements to your game. I think we do most of our improving when we're away from the table; reading, talking and thinking about the game. There's alot of good information given out in clinic posts and on the show and you should try to take in as much of what's being said as possible. Also think about what you would do as the action is taking place and be honest with yourself about whether you would make the same mistakes.

I also have to say that I think DYM's are not a good way to learn to play poker. I wish people wouldn't suggest them to newcomers. Starting with DYM's isn't even a good way to learn to play DYM's in my opinion.

Double Your Money's are a niche variant of the game which have an unusual popularity on Sky mainly, I think, because of the high proportion of Cash For Points that they provide and the relative low variance of them. However, all the best players of these have a good prior grasp of the fundamentals of tournament poker and have subsequently adjusted themselves for playing DYM's. Adjusting skills learned at DYM's to play Multi-Table Tournaments is not nearly so easy because there are whole disciplines that you will not learn at a DYM table. DYM's are something you should play after you've learned the basics. They do a poor job of teaching you those basics.

I would say that the best way to learn to play no limit hold 'em is to play standard, play-to-a-winner sit and go's (Single Table Tournaments). These teach you an awful lot more than DYM's while not costing you much (if any) more. You gain all the skills you need to play both MTT's and DYM's in this type of game. You gain a much broader base from which to build on before perhaps moving on to cash.

Unfortunately the standard STT's don't run that often on Sky Poker... I won't say any more than that.