You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

general advice needed PLEASE HELP!!!

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Hey sky poker community

Not been with sky for long first postJ right ive been playing poker on and off for a couple of years now, last few months started to put a few more hours in than norm. I wouldn’t consider myself a bad player(then not many would admit or even realise maybe im one who knows) I play a few live tourneys a month at my local poker room and most of the time run deep seem to cash more than not normaly average 50 ish runners. But my online game seems to be well of my standard (I think!) im not going to blame varience or fish sucking out its obviously my game that I need to work on, im just not sure what I read a lot of books magazines watch tutorials and watch a lot of tv to see how the masters do it lol I no about starting hands positional play putting people on ranges of hands like I said I rad a lot and put in a few more hours than I used to. I just don’t know where to go from here maybe im not patient enough when im at home or not consentrating maybe blind structures are to short im stuck I just don’t know where to go from here HELP ME!! A bit of info I play mainly mtt freerolls and low buy in micro style and sometimes 6 max sng any advice from any sky poker members would be much appreciated thanks for reading my ramble look forward to hearing from you guys and gals cheers mezzzzzza!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    deposit aa small amount of money and play the 2.20 deepstacks . start with 5000 chips i think , ten min blinds strting 10/20 ! if ur mainly playing frreerolls then i cn see why ur gettin frustrted! majority oof people in freerolls mess around and generally id say is a very bad way to try improve ur gme! like i said play some low stake tournies with deeper strucrtures wwhich  alllow more play! freerollls are shovefests and the skill elemnet is low as u dnt strt deep ! lay off thm for a bit i say
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: general advice needed PLEASE HELP!!!:
    deposit aa small amount of money and play the 2.20 deepstacks . start with 5000 chips i think , ten min blinds strting 10/20 ! if ur mainly playing frreerolls then i cn see why ur gettin frustrted! majority oof people in freerolls mess around and generally id say is a very bad way to try improve ur gme! like i said play some low stake tournies with deeper strucrtures wwhich  alllow more play! freerollls are shovefests and the skill elemnet is low as u dnt strt deep ! lay off thm for a bit i say
    Posted by samboram45
    I'd agree with the points above, particularly about freerolls, but you can do ok in them if you're aware of it and remember that quite a lot of them get knocked out early by going all-in with a 47 offsuit combo....
    Play tight and push your big hands. The maths will see you good as it's usually people flayling about with their chipstacks...

The other thing I'd try is the 30 minute timed events. The £3 - 30 minute events seem to work well (not the 15 minute ones - similar problem to above) All you need to do to come out ahead is come out with more points than you start with. I've found that generally I can make money in these tournaments by playing tight and pushing hard when I have a good hand. 
    It doesn't take too much concentration either as you know when it's over.
    So you can set aside 30 mins to make it work for you. At least I can...

• edited December 2012
    cheers guys points taken on board will try a few differnt game types when friday hits PAY DAY!!!! what do you think to dym's are these anygood never played them before?? thanks for advice again :-)
  • edited December 2012

Not got to be to hard on yourself mate your probably doing nothing wrong? Free roles are hard to take down and to be honest any micro games are the same. Your playing against people sat at home in their undies who are not bothered about losing 2 or 3 quid on a tourny!
    My only advice at these level would be to Stick to ABC poker,  but like i say your probably doing nothing wrong anyway.

Keep at it mate

• edited December 2012
    cheers dude ye i was thinking maybe im trying to play a bit to tricky for the stakes im at but havnt really got the bankroll to step up a bit!!