You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Err, i should of played this differently but IDK how, someone help?

I feel i did something wrong, i think i should of raised the flop or turn rather than checking this down...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
seafarmerSmall blind 500.00500.0035510.00
loolololloBig blind 1000.001500.0028910.79
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

greencardsRaise 3000.004500.0024522.50
pttechFold    
kimrFold    
seafarmerFold    
loolololloCall 2000.006500.0026910.79
Flop

loolololloCheck    
greencardsCheck    
Turn

loolololloCheck    
greencardsCheck    
River

loolololloCheck    
greencardsCheck    
loolololloShow
  • A
  • J

greencardsShow
  • A
  • Q

greencardsWinPair of 4s6500.00 31022.50

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Hi L

To my mind, you are far too passive here. MP has raised....you should three bet pre flop and bet 1/2 pot out on turn as he will have just called with aq o. Then it comes down to playing styles and history between you. He should feel that he's behind your 3 bet range and fold. If he ai's at this stage then your equity is enough to call compared with the pot odds being given as you've 3 bet remember. With 25 BB's this is where you gain the chips to make a play towards the FT.
  • edited December 2012
    I generally agree with Profman.
    You have a decent hand, not a great hand, but a decent one.
    The key thing to do is find out quickly if you are likley to win or not, and push your hand so that the other guy thinks that your is better than his.

When he 3 bets your BB, you need to see what he has. So raise him again, suggest 3xBB again. 
    This way, you put some money in, but still get out alive if he calls or even raises again.
    If he raised again, I'd get out, he'd be saying he has a massive hand, or it's a huge bluff..

However, after the flat call, on the flop you showed weakness by checking. 
    You were drawing to an Ace Diamond flush and you had 4 of them. 
    If your going to win, you want to get his money in the pot, if your going to lose, you want to find out before you put too much of your money in.

He checked and gets a free card to his Ace high at this point.

Then another check/check after the river.
    Not much you could have done at this point. With that betting pattern, whatever you had done, he'd probably have called you. 

• edited December 2012
    Don't 3 bet pre to an UTG open. If you 3bet then you are obv looking to get it pre and with AJ, to a 3x UTG raise, there range should have you crushed. If you 3bet then you should never ever be doing it with the intention of folding.
    Flop is fine looking to c/r all in although leading with the view to call off a shove or to jam any turn if called is also fine.
    Turn is where you missed the bet. Once he checks the flop then this is perfect time to take the pot away with a 1/2 pot bet with equity if called. 
    Once the we get to the river with the villains line, I think we can expect A high to be good a decent amount of the time so checking looking to get to showdown is good.
    I would make notes on villain to for future reference as it seems he will only c-bet when he has a made hand as he should be c-betting the vast majority of the time here.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Err, i should of played this differently but IDK how, someone help?:
    Don't 3 bet pre to an UTG open. If you 3bet then you are obv looking to get it pre and with AJ, to a 3x UTG raise, there range should have you crushed. If you 3bet then you should never ever be doing it with the intention of folding. Flop is fine looking to c/r all in although leading with the view to call off a shove or to jam any turn if called is also fine. Turn is where you missed the bet. Once he checks the flop then this is perfect time to take the pot away with a 1/2 pot bet with equity if called.  Once the we get to the river with the villains line, I think we can expect A high to be good a decent amount of the time so checking looking to get to showdown is good. I would make notes on villain to for future reference as it seems he will only c-bet when he has a made hand as he should be c-betting the vast majority of the time here.
    Posted by Curt360x27
      Hi Curt.....

May i ask you something? Maybe you haven't noticed but the villain is in the HJ not UTG so wouldn't this mean he has a wider raising range and so AJs IS a hand to reraise with? Just asking as i don't want t be unsure myself. cheers
  • edited December 2012
    very tricky here with 28 bigs

if u 3 bet here standard raised would be around 8k now ya commited if guy jams and not loving life but u have to call as u commited

so i prefer the call on this flop sometimes i donk lead here as u have a lot of equity in the hand othertimes i check raise so dnt mind the check

on the turn i am betting here as the opponent showed weakness on the flop by just checking if he had any big pocket pair he surely bet this flop so im betting the turn

on the river id probably fire again

as played think u have missed a bet here i like the donk lead on the flop even if u get raise u have a nut draw so happy to go with it
  • edited December 2012
    Id call pre

Bet the pot on the flop, if he shoves im happy to get it all in...but im a donk lol

If you bet the pot on the flop surly he cant just call cause if he has any sort of hand hes re raising/putting you all in so again im happy with that
  • edited December 2012
    To me, you're waiting for the flush rather than playing the draw. If you play the draw and bet on 2 streets you probably win the pot, you might even win the pot if you bet on the flop. And i'd definiely put a smallish bet on the river cos they are obviously weak if they've checked all the way through.
  • edited December 2012
    villain is still effectively under the gun because he's the first person to act

bet the turn
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Err, i should of played this differently but IDK how, someone help?:
    villain is still effectively under the gun because he's the first person to act bet the turn
    Posted by percival09
    Sorry P but "effectively UTG" doesn't ring true for me as the number of players to act after you will affect the range of hands you should open with surely? After all heads up its not UTG and BB is it? Yes?
  • edited December 2012
    Not really Profman, he is still UTG (first to act) on a 5handed table with big blinds where he likely isn't doing it with junk.

Flatting pre is fine imo. I check the flop with a view to check/raising when he c-bets. When he checks behind you have to fire the turn.

By the time you get to the river there'd be no point betting now as played cos your line just makes no sense. Just check/fold knowing you have some showdown value with your Ax
  • edited December 2012
    the name of the position really holds no relevance. he's the first person to act on a 5 handed table
  • edited December 2012
    the name of the position really holds no relevance. he's the first person to act on a 5 handed table
    Posted by percival09
    Sorry guys (L AND P) got to disagree. Its the ex maths teacher in me. Poor definitions lead to mistakes. Whatever you wish to call it or put it, you can open wider from this position than saying ""open under the gun from utg " when really you are opening in a 5 hdd game from first position. Tell me in a 4 hdd game what you open with? Do you see what i mean. It just needs describing properly. This only came up because utg was used instead of HJ. If you want to say "UTG 5 hdd" then fine but people will get mixed up without a clear description of the position, i assure you. You will now lose marks on your exam paper!!  Seems pedantic but it helps if everyone is singing from the same song sheet especially at xmas!!
  • edited December 2012
    Nobody is saying you cannot open wider, yes, you definitely should open wider on a 5 handed table. but you can call it either utg or hj, it really doesnt matter, both are correct and ok
  • edited December 2012
    Nobody is saying you cannot open wider, yes, you definitely should open wider on a 5 handed table. but you can call it either utg or hj, it really doesnt matter, both are correct and ok
    Posted by percival09
    Fair enough mate...have a cracking 2013
  • edited December 2012
    When we 3 bet we do it for 1 of 2 reasons to 3 bet with the intention of getting it in to a 4 bet jam or to 3 bet bluff.  We cant 3 bet for information to find out were we are and fold to a 4 bet jam.  This is not a spot to 3 bet as im not looking to get it in pre but we still have a value hand so that is why we flat here.  If we 3 bet here folding to a 4 bet jam would be really bad.

Definately 100% bet the turn.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Err, i should of played this differently but IDK how, someone help? : Fair enough mate...have a cracking 2013
    Posted by profman15
    you too Sir