You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this an easy call?

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
No notes on oppo but see him from time to time at this level flitting across tables. Remember him firing big all 3 streets occassionally when he has it so don't think he slow plays monsters.

Anyways, should I be calling here almost every time?
villain
Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £49.25
davplay Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £28.65
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

who_me Fold        
SJspanky1 Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £55.10
villain
Call   £1.25 £3.50 £48.00
davplay Fold        
Flop

• J

villain
Check        
SJspanky1 Bet   £2.50 £6.00 £52.60
villain
Call   £2.50 £8.50 £45.50
Turn

• Q

villain
Check        
SJspanky1 Bet   £5.00 £13.50 £47.60
villain
Call   £5.00 £18.50 £40.50
River

villain
Check        
SJspanky1 Bet   £9.25 £27.75 £38.35
villain
All-in   £40.50 £68.25 £0.00

????

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I really dont know. I know you beat all 2 pair hands now on the river but its such a connected brd.

Its a big river reraise not a min reraise so there pretty confident there ahead.

I fold.
  • edited December 2012
    got a bad feeling its k 9 for some reason or even a k
  • edited December 2012
    the only hand u really beat is a q  could even be a set that has slow played it your not beating much tbh
  • edited December 2012
    well AK is made unlikely and not many people are going to call a pre flop raise with suited connectors of 98 and k9 is also a poor hand to call a starting raise with and calling a gutshot with that after a continuation bet is also poor play so if i was you i would call
  • edited December 2012
    I call cos it pairs otr. we jump ahead of JQ/J10/Q10, he's prob 3betting JJ/QQ/AK pre

fwiw I'm b/f ott and otr if the 4 doesnt pair or something
  • edited December 2012
    I feel better that there's a difference of opinions here.

I tanked this until the timer ran down and folded my hand. My gut feeling was that I'd just bettered his 2 pair. I let the fact that I'd suffered a few beats in my previous couple of sessions affect my judgment and couldn't bring myself to call in case he flicked over AKo.

Finished sesh over 3 buy-ins up tho so not all gloomy unlike today's weather!!!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Is this an easy call?:
    I call cos it pairs otr. we jump ahead of JQ/J10/Q10, he's prob 3betting JJ/QQ/AK pre fwiw I'm b/f ott and otr if the 4 doesnt pair or something
    Posted by percival09
    pretty much my thoughts too.
  • edited December 2012
    I call cos it pairs otr. we jump ahead of JQ/J10/Q10, he's prob 3betting JJ/QQ/AK pre

fwiw I'm b/f ott and otr if the 4 doesnt pair or something

wouldnt the opponent just call sjspanky river bet tho as he has showdown value ?
  • edited December 2012
    if he has 2pair he might put hero on AQ or something and just raise cos he has a better 2pair, but i agree he probably shouldnt, but i definitely wouldnt be surprised. if we dont call, i dont know what we put him on, surely 89 is the only hand that's beating us that's possible. 2p hands just make sense imo
  • edited December 2012
    It's not unusual to see AK and AA in the small and big blind,, with AA pockets a 5x BB raise (not a 3xBB) he would either fold or a call, which would have given you a better idea of the strength of his hand,,  he may have had qq pockets.. either way AK, AQ, KK, QQ K9 suited,,the other option is he's called with A4, and played chase the ace..hitting a trip 4 on the river. there are a lot of hands that are now beating your pocket A's..so a fold here is the only option..it's better to bet 5x preflop than lose more chips after you've ''allowed'' (by poor preflop raising) your opponent to see a flop in which he now has something to chase,,,he's got you on a pair QQ...with A or K kicker..your preraise would to me be someone trying to either trap with AA or trying to steal the blind.. so with that in mind and a half decent hand as stated above I'd be calling you too
  • edited December 2012

Larry, are you saying that Spanky should have raised 5x pre-flop with AA on the button?
    Would you make it 5x with all of your raising range? If you had KQ on the button, would you make it 5x?

What makes you say that 3x is a poor raise size?

Some of your post is a little confusing but I think there are some issues with the logic you're using that we need to look at.

• edited December 2012
    ......so a x3 BTN raise is either a steal or pocket Aces trying to trap the blinds and nothing in between..?????

No offence but I think we must be playing a different game Larry.

You may be correct about the fold though ;)
  • edited December 2012

I can never see anyone bluffing here to be honest.

If its not a REG im ruling out ak for sure as 99/100 times they will always 3 bet pre with AK.

If its an unknown and have been playing quite loose k9 wont surprise me but then i think why didnt he raise ur turn bet as your bet is saying you got a hand.

Im gunna go and say the op had 10 10 or A4.

Wouldnt mind knowing what he actually had tho

• edited December 2012
    i'd like to know too....I folded
  • edited December 2012
    fold dat thing readless