You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what now?

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
obviously this is a raise pre, but what do people like post flop? put him in, check fold. check call his shove? Got into this spot a few times n consider it a pretty big leak. Villan pretty fishy limps majorirty of range

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancedavplaySmall blind £0.25£0.25£34.01bolly580Big blind £0.50£0.75£50.25 Your hole cardsAJ   xxCall £0.50£1.25£11.30simontriCall £0.50£1.75£17.50davplayCall £0.25£2.00£33.76bolly580Raise £2.88£4.88£47.37xxCall £2.88£7.76£8.42simontriFold    davplayFold    Flop  643   bolly580??    

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Not sure if you can see but xx started hand with £11 and has just over a pot size bet left
  • edited December 2012
    Against this stack I think I would usually just shove.  It might be bad, I often find I'm not sure what to do in this situation also, but when in doubt take the more aggressive route.  Probably a good rule of thumb.
  • edited December 2012
    stick him in. can do it by either just typing his entire stack size into the betting box (my personal fave) or just b/c
  • edited December 2012
    shove and sigh as oppo calls with AQ )
  • ybyb
    edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: what now?:
    stick him in. can do it by either just typing his entire stack size into the betting box (my personal fave) or just b/c
    Posted by percival09
    meh i personally like the feeling of clicking the all in button!
  • edited December 2012
    meh. sometimes i bet his stack, but leave him 1p behind - makes him believe he has some FE then boom we snap w/ a high
  • edited December 2012

Honestly, I'm willing to check this down.

If he's on a pair, he's not going to fold this flop and if he has anything else, we likely have the best hand. Even the weakest players don't usually limp AK or AQ. There's no need to make him fold his KQ or KJ hands..

Of course, if he bets you have to decide what hands he'd be doing that with and make your mind up whether to call.

Setting him in seems like something you'd only do if you want to be called by better. Does he call with AT? Probably just calls with pairs and doubt he'd fold any of them on a 6-high flop.

• edited December 2012
    bet an amount so u cant fold so it looks stronger then a shove im repping a big pair preflop so go with the story :)
  • edited December 2012
    cheers guys, my default line was just to put him in.

kind of a "good luck if youve hit that flop i had best hand pre so props still got it now" mentallity.

seems to be the general i dea of thr group. I understand the argument for checking but not a big fan of giving free cards
  • edited December 2012
    Hate spots like this too, they usually call a third of their stack pre and smash the flop. I think I set them in too just cause I'm a little annoyed.
  • edited December 2012
    the reasons we hate small stackers at cash lol
  • edited December 2012
    force him all in.....and you take the pot or hits his flush or str8....no way am I checking here against a small stack...
  • edited December 2012
    force him all in.....and you take the pot or hits his flush or str8....no way am I checking here against a small stack...
    Posted by larry1959
    Why u rulin out a set lol. i wouldnt say hes going to hit a straight with the preflop action
  • edited December 2012
    Why are you raising pre flop? I'm not saying it's bad - it could be perfectly fine. But if you're raising it has to be with the intention of knowing what you're going to do on specific flops. What do you think his range is for limp/calling pre? He might limp a lot but he might only be limp/calling hands like pairs and KQ/AT-AK type hands. Or he might be calling with a much wider range like q9/q8/kj/kt/jt/j9/Ax etc. If this is the case then shoving flop is fine. We'll just win the pot a lot of times there and if he calls we'll still win a few of them times.

Also I think just checking pre is fine as stack sizes are awkward.
  • edited December 2012
    Why are you raising pre flop? I'm not saying it's bad - it could be perfectly fine. But if you're raising it has to be with the intention of knowing what you're going to do on specific flops. What do you think his range is for limp/calling pre? He might limp a lot but he might only be limp/calling hands like pairs and KQ/AT-AK type hands. Or he might be calling with a much wider range like q9/q8/kj/kt/jt/j9/Ax etc. If this is the case then shoving flop is fine. We'll just win the pot a lot of times there and if he calls we'll still win a few of them times. Also I think just checking pre is fine as stack sizes are awkward.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

This is my favoured option, playing AJ oop is awkward at the best of times.  However seeing as we are talking post flop, putting him in (or comitting yourself to an all in) is the best option. even if he has hit, you definately have overs you could catch.