You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Deep in MTT

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
7 players left in this one around 1/2 way into the money but obviously we are looking for a top finnish sitting around 4th atm. Limper is pretty transparent amazed has got this far never raises but will limp any ace and any pair and then call behind all streets. Can't help but feel i ballsed this up what do we think. Im shoving to try and get a passive opponant to fold pre with a Ax hand pre flop as will be hard to tell where i am post if called going to be flipping most times. Given strong reads we have on villian would flatting be better and checking behind or wait for a better spot entirely. PLayer to my right is also disconteced which changes the table dynamics abit.
Thoughts please
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jams88 Small blind   500.00 500.00 20682.50
andymis Big blind   1000.00 1500.00 36745.00
  Your hole cards

??
Call   1000.00 2500.00 24100.00
ryannnnnn Fold        
jams88 All-in   20682.50 23182.50 0.00
andymis Fold        
??
All-in   24100.00 47282.50 0.00
??
Unmatched bet   3917.50 43365.00 3917.50
jams88 Show

??
Show
  • K
  • A

Flop

• J

Turn

• A

River

• K

??
Win Two Pairs, Aces and Kings 43365.00   47282.50

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Dont particularly like shoving here since as you said, he will limp any pair or Ax holding regardless of strength. Based on the read that he will call most raises I would probably just make up the blind and look to get to cheap showdown. If they show any aggression, I would just get out of the way - unless the 4 drops in which case I prob go nuts. 
  • edited December 2012
    What's his open limping range, you seem to imply that it's Ax or pairs, or does he limp atc

If its the former and he doesn't like folding anywhere I prob just fold. Suppose you can limp behind
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Deep in MTT:
    What's his open limping range, you seem to imply that it's Ax or pairs, or does he limp atc If its the former and he doesn't like folding anywhere I prob just fold. Suppose you can limp behind
    Posted by grantorino
    this

not sure how he plays his small pair post as both times i have seen him play them he has flopped a set, once against my top 2 sigh
  • edited December 2012
    Hi J

It's 4 handed isn't it so his range should widen anyway. You feel he's been a calling station. Ax 4 hdd is big. You have the impied odds to call as he has +20 BB's behind. Personally i think there's a case for
    a) fold(as oop and previous reads),
    b) call(set mine/reassess on flop),
     c) reraise to 3k or
    d) shove(44 is still strong here) but still bb behind.
     Think, i'd go with reraise myself as oop, he's most likely to just call rather than rer so you will have a flop to see but could win the pot if he folds your raise. bb behind may get involved but you could get away then as villain would have called.
    Unfortunately he woke up with a hand but you were still ahead going to the flop. In retrospect you may feel like kicking yourself but i feel your shove had merit as you considered how your opponent had been playing.
  • edited December 2012
    From the way your post is written you believe you have an edge over this player yet you have got into a spot where at best you are flipping (starting off with 30+bb). Against other players this might be the best move to shove but it seems a high variance strategy.

It is likely he will stack off if you flop a set so even though you are oop you should call and from your description of the player you can lead out against him and he will pay off. If we dont flop our set then we can fold and may be folding the best hand but there will be better spots to find given our stack size

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Deep in MTT:
    From the way your post is written you believe you have an edge over this player yet you have got into a spot where at best you are flipping (starting off with 30+bb). Against other players this might be the best move to shove but it seems a high variance strategy. It is likely he will stack off if you flop a set so even though you are oop you should call and from your description of the player you can lead out against him and he will pay off. If we dont flop our set then we can fold and may be folding the best hand but there will be better spots to find given our stack size
    Posted by MattBates
    I was thinking similar to this after the hand played out. For some reason a lapse in concentration maybe i ignored my reads and made the play i would normally make without taking into account the villian properly. Just saw the limp and went to punish sigh.

wanted to double check with other peoples thoughts. Thanks for the replies