You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how should this hand be played?

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
hey guys a hand from earlier today don`t know if I played it correct.

reads on this player i`ve only been at table 20mins or so he`s been very loosey goosey in a lot of pots showing some junk hands but hitting like the nut hands/hes only on the 1 table also.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancelooseygooseySmall blind £0.10£0.10£31.82marcus191Big blind £0.20£0.30£31.85 Your hole cardsQA   Stew1Fold    GOALS1984Fold    moke19Call £0.20£0.50£42.15liamboi11Raise £0.80£1.30£18.40looseygooseyCall £0.70£2.00£31.12marcus191Fold    moke19Fold    Flop  734   looseygooseyCheck    liamboi11Check    Turn  A   looseygooseyCheck    liamboi11Bet £1.50£3.50£16.90looseygooseyCall £1.50£5.00£29.62River  Q   looseygooseyCheck    ????????????????????????   
also will post what happened river after I get views and opinions on how i`ve played so far and what to do river.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    YES..and raised 5x BB...LG is calling all the way...mistake was not making a continuation bet on the flop..around 70% would show strength...and he'd probably flat call....then shoved at him on the turn...all that is beating you is either AA, AK or a str8, but thats the risk you take playing a loosey goosey thats riding their luck, if he calls and has a better hand (AA,AK or 56pockets) or hits a flush on the river..unlucky..thats the way it goes..but your play should have been a little more agressive here...
  • edited December 2012
    Bet/fold probably.  Anything from 3-5
  • edited December 2012

if my guess is correct and you don't know them well enough then i would just check back.
    if you did a bet which he then shoves will end up confused wondering does he have a flush or is it a bluff.
    the best option would be check back at him meaning he would be the one too lose out if he was the winning hand

• edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: how should this hand be played?:
    YES..and raised 5x BB...LG is calling all the way...mistake was not making a continuation bet on the flop..around 70% would show strength...and he'd probably flat call....then shoved at him on the turn...all that is beating you is either AA, AK or a str8, but thats the risk you take playing a loosey goosey thats riding their luck, if he calls and has a better hand (AA,AK or 56pockets) or hits a flush on the river..unlucky..thats the way it goes..but your play should have been a little more agressive here...
    Posted by larry1959
    reasoning behind checking flop is for couple of reasons

-he was not folding any pair on flops so thought keep pot small in position
    -that flop does not hit a pfr range much at all
    -also I know it may not have hit him either much but my hand could still be good but I dont want to bloat the pot vs this player without a hand.

also I usually am an aggro player lol
  • edited December 2012
  • edited December 2012
    My advice is to not to listen to a word larry1959 has said.
  • edited December 2012
    yah b/f 4.50
    Posted by percival09
    what you think of my flop and turn play?
  • edited December 2012
    I think both cbetting and checking otf are ok lines. I'd definitely cbet if we had the A or Q of hearts, but even without cbetting is still fine

obv turn is fine

• edited December 2012
    River  https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/heart.gif'); display: block; border: 1px solid #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="heart">Q   looseygooseyCheck    liamboi11Bet £3.40£8.40£13.50looseygooseyRaise £15.20£23.60£14.42liamboi11Fold    looseygooseyMuck    looseygooseyWin £11.21 £25.63looseygooseyReturn £11.80£0.59£37.43
    after the hand he said all he had was top pair then he said he had the flush after someone at table said he was defo bluffin why would he bet so much with the nuts but I think I made the right fold.

just wanted some reassurance lol.
  • edited December 2012
    C-betting this flop vs this player as described. On that flop it's likely that A-high is good (random cards miss the flop more often than they hit) On top of this you have two overcards and possition. Then when you hit top pair, bet again and bet some more on the river. If he has hit a flush on the river or flopped a straight after calling a pfr from the blinds with 56 then good luck to him.

As played bet fold £3 on the river and feel bad that you didn't get full value when he shows A4. Sometimes in these spots a fish will have you beat, but don't let that lead you into playing scared when you have a big hands that's not the nuts.
  • edited December 2012
    i think you played the hand perfectly
  • edited December 2012
    C-betting this flop vs this player as described. On that flop it's likely that A-high is good (random cards miss the flop more often than they hit) On top of this you have two overcards and possition. Then when you hit top pair, bet again and bet some more on the river. If he has hit a flush on the river or flopped a straight after calling a pfr from the blinds with 56 then good luck to him. As played bet fold £3 on the river and feel bad that you didn't get full value when he shows A4. Sometimes in these spots a fish will have you beat, but don't let that lead you into playing scared when you have a big hands that's not the nuts.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    I really dont think there was any point c-betting this player on this flop yeah my ace high could be good but still ain`t sure.(I reckon I prob c-bet 80-90% this flop most of time this is an occasion I never)

also I know I don`t have the nuts but when a loose passive player check raises river big I think imo the only thing he has is the flush.

also I never play scared I just put together what reads I have on the player for the short period of time I was playing with him and the way the hand played out and made my decision my top 2 ain`t good might be wrong but I have my reasons.
  • edited December 2012
    My advice is to not to listen to a word larry1959 has said.
    Posted by dre136
    and your reasoning?????... don't demean someone elses view or how they'd play a particular hand without backing it up with a reason or a different approach to the play.... we all play given situations different, and, by the sound of it your poker is perfect and you are in a position to mock others.... sorry mate...think your arrogance is unneccessary......
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: how should this hand be played? : I really dont think there was any point c-betting this player on this flop yeah my ace high could be good but still ain`t sure.(I reckon I prob c-bet 80-90% this flop most of time this is an occasion I never)
    You say that the villian plays very loose. Suppose that the villian is raising pre with JJ+ and AQ+ but limp calling 50% of hands (all pp, all suited, all off-suit connectors and all Ax hands is 57%) then on the flop vs this range we are flipping 50:50. But he doesn't call a c-bet with his whole range, he's going to be x/fing lots of those hands. A half pot c-bet needs to work 1/3 of the time so c-betting this flop is +ev I think. Even if you miss the turn and just give up on the hand. I don't understand the part of your post in parentheses :-S
    also I know I don`t have the nuts but when a loose passive player check raises river big I think imo the only thing he has is the flush. also I never play scared I just put together what reads I have on the player for the short period of time I was playing with him and the way the hand played out and made my decision my top 2 ain`t good might be wrong but I have my reasons.
    Posted by liamboi11
    I hadn't seen the results of the hand when I made the last post so I didn't know you got check-raised all in. But the river as played is an easy bet-fold so there you go, that's what happened. From the op it looked as though you were asking if you should check behind with top two!? That would be madness. You have a solid value hand that you should be betting for value. The fish will have worse hands in this spot quite often and when they have you beat they will let you know with a raise on the river. Making a sweeping generalisation here but fish don't check-raise the river as a bluff.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: how should this hand be played? : You say that the villian plays very loose. Suppose that the villian is raising pre with JJ+ and AQ+ but limp calling 50% of hands (all pp, all suited, all off-suit connectors and all Ax hands is 57%) then on the flop vs this range we are flipping 50:50. But he doesn't call a c-bet with his whole range, he's going to be x/fing lots of those hands. A half pot c-bet needs to work 1/3 of the time so c-betting this flop is +ev I think. Even if you miss the turn and just give up on the hand. I don't understand the part of your post in parentheses :-S I hadn't seen the results of the hand when I made the last post so I didn't know you got check-raised all in. But the river as played is an easy bet-fold so there you go, that's what happened. From the op it looked as though you were asking if you should check behind with top two!? That would be madness. You have a solid value hand that you should be betting for value. The fish will have worse hands in this spot quite often and when they have you beat they will let you know with a raise on the river. Making a sweeping generalisation here but fish don't check-raise the river as a bluff.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    I do understand your points but as a said I do c-bet a lot in these situations but this type of player just hardly ever folds so happy taking the free card in position and see what he does on the turn or see if I improve tbh.

I never posted to see if I should check behind I think I should nearly always b/f in this spot vs this type of player but not been playing great lately and just wanted to make sure I was still doing the right things.

but thanks for your replies and everyone else that contributed appreciated
  • edited December 2012
    Anything other than checking the flop is bad. Unless villain has a dominated A like AJ/AT we never have that much more equity than opponent (esp when called) so betting to protect our equity is pointless. If the club was a spade it might be worth it because it at least means we can barrel some turns (assuming villain isn't a complete calling station) - but yeah with only an A or Q to hit it's a straight forward check.

As played, bet/folding OTR is fine. Would only really consider calling if I'd seen villain not only been playing loose but also raising/being aggro a lot.
  • edited December 2012
    Checking the flop is fine imo, turn fine obvz, river I bet/fold (probably not as big as others have said but my sizings are off sometimes) which I can is what ya did so seems perfect to me.
  • edited December 2012
    I think you played it really well.
    Not sure when it checks to me on river I'm ever bet/folding.
    Unless we have a lot of history with the player is he really going to check a big hand on river?