You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HELP Deep in MTT (other site)

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hope you can understand the hand info!!
How bad is this?
Should I be 3 betting pre?
Can i fold when AAducks shoves the flop?

Happening alot to me deep in Mtt's on this site. Thanks for your time

PokerStars Hand #91350958041: Tournament #662011333, $8.00+$0.80 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXVIII (2000/4000) - 2012/12/26 16:08:17 ET
Table '662011333 90' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Ph3nom3 (369407 in chips)
Seat 2: rajmany (117625 in chips)
Seat 3: AAducksAA (111295 in chips)
Seat 4: ChicaAs (125895 in chips)
Seat 5: ACAC227 (114892 in chips)
Seat 6: Courupt (62682 in chips)
Seat 7: iq_unknown (187208 in chips)
Seat 8: pollyvalent (69494 in chips)
Seat 9: binos21 (72318 in chips)
Ph3nom3: posts the ante 500
rajmany: posts the ante 500
AAducksAA: posts the ante 500
ChicaAs: posts the ante 500
ACAC227: posts the ante 500
Courupt: posts the ante 500
iq_unknown: posts the ante 500
pollyvalent: posts the ante 500
binos21: posts the ante 500
ChicaAs: posts small blind 2000
ACAC227: posts big blind 4000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Ph3nom3 [Jh As]
Courupt: raises 4000 to 8000
iq_unknown: folds
pollyvalent: folds
binos21: folds
Ph3nom3: raises 10000 to 18000
rajmany: folds
AAducksAA: calls 18000
ChicaAs: folds
ACAC227: folds
Courupt: calls 10000
*** FLOP *** [Jd 6s Tc]
Courupt: checks
Ph3nom3: bets 24000
AAducksAA: raises 68795 to 92795 and is all-in
Courupt: folds
Ph3nom3: calls 68795
*** TURN *** [Jd 6s Tc] [Td]
*** RIVER *** [Jd 6s Tc Td] [2s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Ph3nom3: shows [Jh As] (two pair, Jacks and Tens)
AAducksAA: shows [Qc Qh] (two pair, Queens and Tens)
AAducksAA collected 250090 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 250090 | Rake 0
Board [Jd 6s Tc Td 2s]
Seat 1: Ph3nom3 showed [Jh As] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Tens
Seat 2: rajmany folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: AAducksAA (button) showed [Qc Qh] and won (250090) with two pair, Queens and Tens

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Been on his table for about 2 orbits, guy has been pretty agro and active but nothing had gone to showdown.

Okay thanks
    Sighhhhh so bad
  • edited December 2012
    3b pre looks fine given stacks, against a bigger stack I generally flat. Villains cold call would set off alarm bells unless he is a fish

Once you bet you have to call it off. I might check, but even then I think you have to call it off so shallow without very good reads

Edit: just seen reads. Not folding, like the way you played it
  • edited December 2012
    I'd fold pre the first time it came to me.

If I continued preflop i'd either peel with short stacks behind me to call their rejams, or i'd 3bet as you did with the intention of calling the preflop raisers 4bet jam, wouldn't be 3bFolding to such a short stacked open. 

as played once you cb and the cold caller jams, it's pretty gross and I'd want to have some reads on them. with no reads I think in an $8 you're probably not making a massive mistake bet calling the flop because they can do such random stuff but if they are any kind of tight (most likely not very competent) then they should always have us beaten here.

hovering over their name and looking what country they are from often helps. there are certain countries without the levels of education both in real life and in poker that we have, meaning you can take alot of 'fishyness' notes just from country of residence lol. I wont name and shame brazil or russia by mentioning them :)
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: HELP Deep in MTT (other site):
    I'd fold pre the first time it came to me. If I continued preflop i'd either peel with short stacks behind me to call their rejams, or i'd 3bet as you did with the intention of calling the preflop raisers 4bet jam, wouldn't be 3bFolding to such a short stacked open.  as played once you cb and the cold caller jams, it's pretty gross and I'd want to have some reads on them. with no reads I think in an $8 you're probably not making a massive mistake bet calling the flop because they can do such random stuff but if they are any kind of tight (most likely not very competent) then they should always have us beaten here. hovering over their name and looking what country they are from often helps. there are certain countries without the levels of education both in real life and in poker that we have, meaning you can take alot of 'fishyness' notes just from country of residence lol. I wont name and shame brazil or russia by mentioning them :)
    Posted by beaneh
    Thanks for the reply,

You play a fair few MTT's on this site (not to be a stalker or anything) LOL
    But the later stages of MTT's like this one when there are 100 or so runners left out of 8,000 runners, in what way should I change my ranges, should I be tighten up and wait for spots or........
    I guess its all dependent on a many factors ie- stack size, table dynamic ect

Thanks
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: HELP Deep in MTT (other site):
    In Response to Re: HELP Deep in MTT (other site) : Thanks for the reply, You play a fair few MTT's on this site (not to be a stalker or anything) LOL But the later stages of MTT's like this one when there are 100 or so runners left out of 8,000 runners, in what way should I change my ranges, should I be tighten up and wait for spots or........ I guess its all dependent on a many factors ie- stack size, table dynamic ect Thanks
    Posted by sounddd

I've played one or two on there maybe yah.

more helpful question is why do I change my ranges at different stages of a tournament and what factors have the largest affect on my ranges.

early in an mtt.

you have lots of people to beat, you have few chips, you have a high number of bbs though and no incentive to bust.

later on in the mtt antes come in there is more incentive to play, stacks increase in phyiscal number of chips but start to reduce and become more shallow in terms of bbs. 

late in an mtt there are fewer and fewer people and more and more focus is put on the pay jumps. so people naturally tighten up.

as with all poker, if they play loose you play tight, if they play tight you play loose. so in the late stages where people are tightening up and wanting to cash etc you should loosen up.

so loosen up near bubbles, near pay jumps, when you can apply pressure etc. you always have the advantage when you cover someone rather than constantly going up against big stacks too. sorry would expand but i'm eating breakfast lol
  • edited December 2012
    Extrapolate from this hh, what holdings would you 3bet here in this spot?

how would that range change if the opener was 40bb deep not 17?

what hands would you flat call here and why?
  • edited December 2012
    also on the country thing, greeks neverfold