You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

pushing with 4 BB left

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
Ok yesterday i was in a live tournament 84 showed up. Im down to last 19 and blinds are 700/1400 i have 7000 in my stack and havent had a hand in over an hour since i moved onto this new table.

I get KJ both diamonds and its folded round to me with only dealer and the blinds to act after. I decided to push all in and walked into QQ.

In the end i hit a jack but was miles behind really after only hitting the J on the river.

Would anyone else have said this was the correct move. Only final table got paid and i felt i had held on as long as i could, infact should have been out alot earlier after two hands in a row getting lucky for two double ups before being moved.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    You shouldn't let yourself get down to 4bb.

10bb is standard shoving ATC, although given the structures/table I can guess that 6/7bb is ok.

But 4 is just lol.
  • edited November 2009
    yEAH IT WAS THE RIGHT MOVE, CANT LET YOURSELF BE BLINDED OUT WITHOUT A FIGHT
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to pushing with 4 BB left:
    Ok yesterday i was in a live tournament 84 showed up. Im down to last 19 and blinds are 700/1400 i have 7000 in my stack and havent had a hand in over an hour since i moved onto this new table. I get KJ both diamonds and its folded round to me with only dealer and the blinds to act after. I decided to push all in and walked into QQ. In the end i hit a jack but was miles behind really after only hitting the J on the river. Would anyone else have said this was the correct move. Only final table got paid and i felt i had held on as long as i could, infact should have been out alot earlier after two hands in a row getting lucky for two double ups before being moved.
    Posted by The_Don90
    You pushed with 2 hands and got doubled up twice an hour before this KJ move?

Seems to me that the problem didnt occur in the KJ hand, but in the hour of play which pre-ceeded it.

19 left and only ft paid? even if it's a ten seat final table ur still a long way off. Shouldn't let your stack go down as far as 7 bbs? - Left you no option but to go down with a whimper rather than with a fight. Get busy in the hour u went to sleep, nobody knows ur looking at rubbish until you throw them into the middle.

Until that time, you have the power to convince them whatever u like, n if it goes wrong, u make a move with 23 suited it goes wrong, have u got more chance of beating his ak with 23 suited for a pot worth 25 bbs, or cracking a QQ with kj for 14 bbs?

I know which situation id rather be in. Difference between 19th and 39th is wat? more play for ya money? lol

Just a thought, DOHH
  • edited November 2009
    edit - didnt realise it was 4 bbs had 7 in my mind for some reason.

Just emphasises mi point.

DOHH
  • edited November 2009
    During that hour i got moved tables. I always sit at a table for three or four hands and try and see what the players are like, and i had no blinds within me at this time as i was moved left of the dealer. I was the smallest stack on the table when moved despite two double ups.

Best hand i had in that hour was A5 and 3 people went all in before it got to me and i came to the conclusion was that i was miles behind, funnily enough i was. It was avery aggressive table and had two players that would call with any two.
  • edited November 2009

Let em call with any 2 then, push with any above average hand, take a race if u have to, or at least ensure u have 2 live cards.

What was the buy in here 50 pence???? Surely they cudnt have been that bad? And the blinds that punishing?

U left urself no option and no chance. - A double up with the kj leaves u still with less than ten bbs.

If u doubled twice and was still the short stak, maybe I was wrong in my previous post saying the problem occured between the double ups and the deimise, it must have happened before the double ups!?

• edited November 2009
    it was a satallite only entry tournament.

And id say i played with what i had to go on with opponents. The event had lasted 8 hours with 82 people and thats when we left there was still 11 in then.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: pushing with 4 BB left:
    it was a satallite only entry tournament. And id say i played with what i had to go on with opponents. The event had lasted 8 hours with 82 people and thats when we left there was still 11 in then.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I think its obviously the correct play considering your stack size, in future i would consider this point though, the smaller your stack in relation to the big blind leaves any potential caller with a bigger range of hand to call you with, increasing the possibility of a suck out on there behalf, as a general rule i never let my stack fall below 10 big blinds, i feel that when i push with that i normally have at least two live cards and if not its just unlucky, better to go out with a bang then a whimper in my opinion.

Don't beat yourself up though, you should want a caller when you push there and most times you will find yourself in front, or at worst not that far behind.
  • edited November 2009

push push  push

• edited November 2009
    Hi the don

Having got as low as 4 big blinds, you are certainly going to shove in that position. And as others have stated, you need to be more active as the tournament progresses and start moving all in when you fall below 10 big blinds.  Once you are so short stacked, you are almost wanting more than one caller, as you need to treble up at least to have any chance.

Even if you are card dead, you need to play some hands and defend your blinds.  If you sit for an hour without playing a hand, other players are going to see this, and take advantage.  But if you re-raise, having played very few hands, you are going to get respect for a big hand, and get most hands to fold.