You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

am i being just too aggressive

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
what i don't get is why these guyes won't call preflop bets like this yet call lowest pairs and gut shot flushes when i bet large
aSmall blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.90
bBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.65
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

xCall  £0.04 £0.10 £1.55
yFold     
craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £4.66
cFold     
aFold     
bFold     
xFold     
craigcu12 Muck   
here i did a big bet preflop which they folded
craigcu12 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £6.05
bBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.26
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

xCall  £0.04 £0.10 £4.19
xCall  £0.04 £0.14 £1.03
craigcu12 Raise  £0.06 £0.20 £5.99
bCall  £0.04 £0.24 £3.22
xCall  £0.04 £0.28 £4.15
xFold     
Flop

• Q
  • A

craigcu12 Bet  £0.28 £0.56 £5.71
bCall  £0.28 £0.84 £2.94
LeonSpark Fold     
Turn

craigcu12 Bet  £0.40 £1.24 £5.31
bRaise  £2.04 £3.28 £0.90
craigcu12 Call  £1.64 £4.92 £3.67
River

craigcu12 Check     
bAll-in  £0.90 £5.82 £0.00
craigcu12 Call  £0.90 £6.72 £2.77
craigcu12 Show
  • K
  • K

bShow
  • K

bWin Three 5s £6.21
i tried to slow bet preflop then showed aggression post flop and he call with a K5 do they have to have pairs atleast to make calls?
the guy hidden as b is the same in both

Comments

• edited December 2012
    First hand irrelevant spam

2nd hand sizing pre is terrible, flop bet smaller if betting, turn I check readless, easy fold to turn c/r

you are not particularly aggresive given your holding in either hand. In fact you are being a station in hand 2
  • edited December 2012
    Hand 1 - This is fine, might even go 24p but splitting hairs. The fact that someone folded this time is irrelevant. If they were gonna call 12p, they'd probably call 20p too, you're either getting called or not at this level regardless of bet size, so get the max with your monsters when you are getting called.

Hand 2 - awful raise size, has to be at least 24p. Don't bet full pot on the flop. You bet massive (full pot) on the flop, then only half pot on the turn, big sign of weakness. Don't call the raise on the turn (you aint beating anything). Can't fold the river with so little behind after calling the turn, but don't call the turn.

Aggression isn't about how big you bet, it's about when you bet, raise, how often you 3bet, 4bet etc etc.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: am i being just too aggressive:
    Hand 1 - This is fine, might even go 24p but splitting hairs. The fact that someone folded this time is irrelevant. If they were gonna call 12p, they'd probably call 20p too, you're either getting called or not at this level regardless of bet size, so get the max with your monsters when you are getting called. Hand 2 - awful raise size, has to be at least 24p. Don't bet full pot on the flop. You bet massive (full pot) on the flop, then only half pot on the turn, big sign of weakness. Don't call the raise on the turn (you aint beating anything). Can't fold the river with so little behind after calling the turn, but don't call the turn. Aggression isn't about how big you bet, it's about when you bet, raise, how often you 3bet, 4bet etc etc.
    Posted by Lambert180
    i have had a look at my history and it has made me wonder if i could be the problem myself with different size bets for different strength hands e.g. 20p for QQ+ and QJs+ but 12p for 22+ and jQo button
    should i stick to a simular size bet of maybe 12p on cut off and button and 20p OOP for most my hands as a way of hiding the true strength?
    that way i might get more calls and well as for the flop on i can check or bet depending on my strength post flop.
  • edited December 2012
    Best thing I can suggest which massively helped me is to read this...

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-school/beat-small-stakes-cash-games-1?tracking=pokersleftnav

And do it! If you're not sure about why it tells you to do something then ask on here why but don't just disagree and do something different. I'd say just do it just because it's right, but it'll help if you understand why it's right.

Basically, people at this level call raises/bets too often with too many weak hands, people will fold sometimes obviously but you should keep bluffing to a minimum because there's no point representing a flush (for example) when they aren't even considering what cards you have anyway and are just thinking about their own hand.

So the key is, play very strong hands and bet, bet, bet when you've got a strong hand postflop, check/fold when you don't.

Personally at first, I'd recommend that you stick to only playing like 22+, ATs+, AJo+ and KQ (you can add a few more hands in like KT and KJ from the button and cut-off). Raise the same amount with all of these hands,  I go 5x (20p) but 4x is fine too.

I won't badger on anymore cos it's in all that guide, which btw was written by Dohhhhh who posts on here a fair bit.