You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to play AK post flop oop?

edited December 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I have been playing loose aggressive, not much info on opponent, know hes a reg but no other info. 
i start hand with 400bb and he 91bb.

my question is should i be 4 betting oop with AK - i dont want to play oop against 2 opponents so my instant thinking is to try and get it in pre. But when ever i do this i think im only up against QQ+ ? maybe jacks, i doubt he is ever 5bet shoving AQs or worse. So i can only be 50/50 against Qs crushed against aa/kk and splitting with ak ?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
launderSmall blind £0.50£0.50£95.75
RyanC7Big blind £1.00£1.50£400.52
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

corbett04Raise £3.00£4.50£219.76
eagle05Raise £9.00£13.50£91.00
launderFold    
RyanC7Raise £21.00£34.50£379.52
corbett04Fold    
eagle05All-in £91.00£125.50£0.00
RyanC7Call £78.00£203.50£301.52
RyanC7Show
  • K
  • A

eagle05Show
  • K
  • K

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

eagle05WinTwo Pairs, Kings and 7s£201.70 £201.70

Comments

• edited December 2012
    In Response to How to play AK post flop oop?:
    I have been playing loose aggressive, not much info on opponent, know hes a reg but no other info.  i start hand with 400bb and he 91bb. my question is should i be 4 betting oop with AK - i dont want to play oop against 2 opponents so my instant thinking is to try and get it in pre. But when ever i do this i think im only up against QQ+ ? maybe jacks, i doubt he is ever 5bet shoving AQs or worse. So i can only be 50/50 against Qs crushed against aa/kk and splitting with ak ?
    Posted by RyanC7
    If you've been playing loose/aggressive...I'd be shoving at you with a premium hand too, knowing you will call. Suggest you tighten your game, 2 raises before you? why not just flat call the re-raise, you may have saved your self some money instead of re-raising the re-raise. I love Loose/aggressive players... they're to quick to call/raise and although win lots of small pots, can be easily fleeced with a premium hand....bottom line here is I think your play was overly aggressive.. and with a loose rep on the table got what you asked for..
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: How to play AK post flop oop?:
    In Response to How to play AK post flop oop? : If you've been playing loose/aggressive...I'd be shoving at you with a premium hand too, knowing you will call. Suggest you tighten your game, 2 raises before you? why not just flat call the re-raise, you may have saved your self some money instead of re-raising the re-raise. I love Loose/aggressive players... they're to quick to call/raise and although win lots of small pots, can be easily fleeced with a premium hand....bottom line here is I think your play was overly aggressive.. and with a loose rep on the table got what you asked for..
    Posted by larry1959
    surely if im overly aggressive this would work in my favour as opponents would have a wider range?
    But yeah im not sure if flatting is the right play out of the bb to a button 3bet a reg is capable doing this very wide range?
  • edited December 2012
    I like the way you have played this hand just ul to walk into a big hand.(imo)

if you say your image is very laggy then this is a great spot imo.

but dont think i`m ever folding ak pre flop after I have 4bet im wanting to get it in unless a have specific reads that the player is super nitty.

but yeah to answer your question if opponent just 3bets wae aa/kk/qq just fold to the 3bet but if he has much wider range and been payin attention to way your playing at the table 4bet get it in.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to How to play AK post flop oop? : If you've been playing loose/aggressive...I'd be shoving at you with a premium hand too, knowing you will call. Suggest you tighten your game, 2 raises before you? why not just flat call the re-raise, you may have saved your self some money instead of re-raising the re-raise. I love Loose/aggressive players... they're to quick to call/raise and although win lots of small pots, can be easily fleeced with a premium hand....bottom line here is I think your play was overly aggressive.. and with a loose rep on the table got what you asked for..
    Posted by larry1959
    and i love tight/passive players.. fancy a game lol
  • edited December 2012
    100 deep with a laggy image 4b/c is fine imo, esp if they think you are capable of squeezing light here. I would prefer more info on button though. If hes decent though his 3bet range should be wide enough to make 4b/c fine. Calling ok too, but if opener comes alog you are oop 220bb deep v two villains

Also you are not crushed v KK
  • edited December 2012
    played fine

his 3betting range is prob wide enough on the btn vs a co open so 3betting is good and you obv have to snap his shove
  • edited December 2012
    against a small stack but oop - just another reason to get it aipf, subject to the above caveats of course
  • edited December 2012
    played fine his 3betting range is prob wide enough on the btn vs a co open so 3betting is good and you obv have to snap his shove
    Posted by percival09

This is the key.
    This would be my view without knowing the reg in question.
    If the players have been paying attention to how you have been playing then they could easily 5bet shove there 3bet bluff range vs you plus AQ,77+ knowing you can have a wide 4bet range in this spot.

• edited December 2012
    Easy 4bet-call. well played, bad luck, like your bet sizing too. 3bet from the button vs the CO open is very standard and will certainly be a light 3-bet much of the time. If you have an agro image then there's nothing to stop either player putting you on a bluff or thinking that AQ is good, your small 4-bet gives them the illusion of fold equity. Also, in general a cold 4-bet looks strong so there is also nothing to stop a player nitting up and folding a big pair like jacks here. Depending on the type of players you are facing they could reasonably 5-bet with worse or fold with better.

On top of all this you aren't in terrible shape even when he tables KK. As you probably know you are 30% to win the hand.

Over time when you face a 3-bet you probably lose money. Only the very best players are making a profit when they face a 3-bet. The trick in these spots is to lose the minimum. If you fold to all 3bets then you are losing 3BB/hand. If you can break even in these spots you are doing pretty well. I think the way you played the hand is the least -ev way to do it.
  • edited December 2012
    eagle05, lol , fold, hes nl50 reg, he is not going to be 3-betting wide at nl100

4 bet is ok, getting it in is terrible knowing the player
  • edited December 2012
    yeah take names out of op
    and results
  • edited December 2012
    eagle05, lol , fold, hes nl50 reg, he is not going to be 3-betting wide at nl100 4 bet is ok, getting it in is terrible knowing the player
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    So we are 4b/f AK 100BB deep now? Needs a pretty specific read imo, which op clearly doesnt have. Its not going to be good v most regs imo, as most will either 5b or fold
  • edited December 2012
    against this person ya never in good shape vs a shove here i have played eagle 05 a fair bit he has a aggro image but he not silly
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: How to play AK post flop oop? : So we are 4b/f AK 100BB deep now? Needs a pretty specific read imo, which op clearly doesnt have. Its not going to be good v most regs imo, as most will either 5b or fold
    Posted by grantorino
    YES, sometimes there is no good decision in-certain spots, vs eagle here i am 4-betting hoping to be called or get a fold, not to get a race pre flop (in fact i would not be a race as his all in range crushes AKoff, vs me mind, he may play differently vs others, also my thought process refers to  tight players)

so although i hate it i would 4-bet fold here, calling his 3 bet is not out of the window its not great but its better to play a wide 3 betting range and ak would fair well vs opener and 3-bettor if it went 3 way, but i still like 4-betting, 4-bet to get folds/calls vs tight guys.

AK gets overplayed a lot, all in vs a wider range including AQ, jj, 1010, we are still a 60/40 dog, but you should still be happy to get it all in, but not when it is a obvious "cooler"
  • edited December 2012
    All depends on what you think oppo is 3 betting the btn with doesn't it
  • edited December 2012
    Just done an ev calculation for calling the shove (after the 4bet) and vs AK/QQ+ its +96p (you have 38.8% equity vs this range). Which when you consider you are paying 90p rake on this hand it means that it's pretty much break even.

If you take AK out of his range your equity drops from 39% to 31% and so the expected value is -£15.12. Making it JJ+ gives you 35% equity and is still -ev at -£6.78. If you increase his range to JJ+/AQ+ then you are 50% equity making the ev calculation +£23.95.

So you have to work out from your reads what you think he 5bet shoves with. If it's ever AQ then it's a snap call. If it's only AK/QQ+ then it's probably a fold and if it's only ever QQ+ then it's a snap fold.

Ev calculations that I've used:

ev: (size of pot(£125.50) x equity) - (cost to call (£78) x villian's equity)
  • edited December 2012