You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Location Changes!!

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat

Can anyone shed any light as to why the location has changed for some players?

My location was previously "Team51 Stirling Branch" for the last number of months but then yesterday it suddenly changed to the village I live in.

This has happened to some others also, but not everybody.

Is it to do with software or has it been changed, and if so, why??

Keith

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I am glad some of the locations have been changed. Some of them were tilting to read...

We are lucky that we have been allowed to play about with locations for so long, cant get this on other sites.

No idea why some have been changed and not others though... 
  • edited December 2012
    I remember something being said a while ago along the lines that if the locatiopn took up both too much space then you couldn't see chip stacks of players and it could be deemed unfair, not sure if this is the case here .... so in effect Keith if you had say Team 51 only it wouldn't go on to both lines but the stirling branch would and hide your chip stack from others hovering over your avatar
  • edited December 2012
    Mine has been changed too, from 'Team51 Exmouth' to 'Exmouth'.

Are all teams affected by this change, or is it Team51 only?

Mine didn't hide the stack size, and there are plenty of real place names that are just as long. For example one of my regular opponent's location is 'Haywards Heath'.
  • edited December 2012
    mine has been changed but changed it back IF SKY DONT EXPLAIN I WONT COMPLY TO THERE GAME ........

Hers one for you sky why dont you give the teams there own avatar T51 little alien hitsquad pink diamonds diamonds etc etc  etc. You are always saying the the teams are a big part to sky community and the DTD on mondays.  Come on then im sure it wouldnt be that hard to do 
  • edited December 2012

My previous location didn't hinder my stack size, but I fully understand what you mean.

In fact, iirc, Tikay asked a while ago if anyone saw any locations that did hide the stack size to report it and it would be changed.

Strange though that it seems mainly to be team players that are affected so far, or are we just paranoid???

• edited December 2012
    If sky do decide to stop allowing players the right to change their location to a team name; you can hardly blame them. It's not some play money site that's hardly regulated. you should have to put your location down
  • edited December 2012

Just logged on again and its back to original setting!!

Like I said in OP, is it a glitch???
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Location Changes!!:
    If sky do decide to stop allowing players the right to change their location to a team name; you can hardly blame them. It's not some play money site that's hardly regulated. you should have to put your location down
    Posted by percival09
    I cannot think of a single reason why we should be forced to show our location.

I don't have to tell anyone where I live when I play live, so why should playing online be any different?

The option is there and whilst it is, we are free to use it as long as we are not using it to inluence the game. That being said, if you see a player with TPT or Team Poker Titans in their location, you should probably be scared and just fold or you are doomed :)
  • edited December 2012
    hmm, i have altered mine again and it still won,t change back to team 51, v strange
  • edited December 2012
    I really don't see what the big deal is, there's surely some good reason behind the change and who cares anyway, it has zero impact on how we play, our enjoyment of the game etc etc.

Yes people are obsessed with our 'rights' (although I'm not sure we have any regarding this anyway) and constantly think we're gonna fall foul of some totalitarion dicatorship when people 'remove' the tiniest bit of 'our rights' but realy what difference does this change make?

Mine hasn't been changed by the way, or it hadn't as of about 10pm last night last I checked.

The reason it probably seems like more team players have had their locations changed is because  the forum is mostly populated by people in teams so you aint getting loads of non-team players commenting cos there aren't that many non-team players on the forum.
  • edited December 2012
    I really don't see what the big deal is, there's surely some good reason behind the change and who cares anyway, it has zero impact on how we play, our enjoyment of the game etc etc. Yes people are obsessed with our 'rights' (although I'm not sure we have any regarding this anyway) and constantly think we're gonna fall foul of some totalitarion dicatorship when people 'remove' the tiniest bit of 'our rights' but realy what difference does this change make? Mine hasn't been changed by the way, or it hadn't as of about 10pm last night last I checked. The reason it probably seems like more team players have had their locations changed is because  the forum is mostly populated by people in teams so you aint getting loads of non-team players commenting cos there aren't that many non-team players on the forum.
    Posted by Lambert180

Paul, I asked a question, that was all. Nobody mentioned rights or totalitarian dictatorships!!

If it doesn't bother you, why bother posting anything at all?
  • edited December 2012
    Hi all,

There are various reasons, some of those are:

- They can show on the live show on the leaderboard
    - They can be rude/insulting
    - They can hide stacks

These are just some of the reasons. Another is that the location data we have for customers is used in communications, so obviously it has to be correct.

If you are thinking 'why is it just me/us that have had the location changed' - well it isn't so please don't feel we are discriminating against certain teams/individuals!.

We are trying to do this across the board, so we encourage you to tell us if you see one that does need changing.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards
    Lee
  • edited December 2012
    Hi all, There are various reasons, some of those are: - They can show on the live show on the leaderboard - They can be rude/insulting - They can hide stacks These are just some of the reasons. Another is that the location data we have for customers is used in communications, so obviously it has to be correct. If you are thinking 'why is it just me/us that have had the location changed' - well it isn't so please don't feel we are discriminating against certain teams/individuals!. We are trying to do this across the board, so we encourage you to tell us if you see one that does need changing. I hope that makes sense. Regards Lee
    Posted by Sky_Lee

Lee

As I opened this thread can I be the first to ask why you did not put something on the forum initially or why has it not been included in the various e mails, tweets, texts and facebook posts that are sent every day? It is not the biggest issue ever, but as you can see it does raise questions?

Keith 
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Keith,

This isn't something we'd be posting on twitter or facebook, but point taken.
    Yes it probably should have been posted on here. Unfortunately there are always a lot of things going on and sometimes they can slip through the net.

We will endeavour to make sure we post future changes such as these on the forum.

Thanks
    Lee
  • edited December 2012

So what is the criteria then, its not set in stone exactly is it?

• edited December 2012
    Hi Keith, This isn't something we'd be posting on twitter or facebook, but point taken. Yes it probably should have been posted on here. Unfortunately there are always a lot of things going on and sometimes they can slip through the net. We will endeavour to make sure we post future changes such as these on the forum. Thanks Lee
    Posted by Sky_Lee

Thanks for that Lee

Just out of interest, what happens if you don't want your location shown?

Keith
  • edited December 2012
    Hi all, There are various reasons, some of those are: - They can show on the live show on the leaderboard - They can be rude/insulting - They can hide stacks These are just some of the reasons. Another is that the location data we have for customers is used in communications, so obviously it has to be correct. If you are thinking 'why is it just me/us that have had the location changed' - well it isn't so please don't feel we are discriminating against certain teams/individuals!. We are trying to do this across the board, so we encourage you to tell us if you see one that does need changing. I hope that makes sense. Regards Lee
    Posted by Sky_Lee

So why are rude or offensive usernames allowed ?

Somebody at the same table as me yesterday called nobrottwat.
  • edited December 2012
    Posted by Sky_Lee
    what don't make sense lee is that u have used a location from my personal details. i don't particularly want people to know where i live down to a few hundred yards when a county would have done.
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Keith

You can leave it blank, as long as the rest of your addres details (that aren't shown) are correct.

• edited December 2012
    We don't accept rude or offensive aliases, but they can creep through.

If you see a rude or offensive alias, please contact custome care and it will be dealt with accordingly.
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Keith You can leave it blank, as long as the rest of your addres details (that aren't shown) are correct.
    Posted by Sky_Lee

But surely showing anything from personal account details, including location, is in contravention of the Data Protection Act 2008??
  • edited December 2012
    The information we show, and the fact that you are shown on the site as an alias, means we are not contravening the data protection act. I can assure you that would never be the case.
  • edited December 2012
    I'm closing this as the question has been asked and answered.
    Feel free t osend a PM if there is anything else you need to know, or you see a location that needs changing.

Thanks
    Lee
  • edited December 2012
    Hi Sly Lee,

Can you please tell me why other people have changed locations and i cannot?