You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

When to take a shot at 5.50 dyms

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
Been playing 3.30 dyms and made a nice profit.
Just wondering how many buy ins I wold ideally like to have before taking a shot. I 4/5 table.
Would love devonfish5's opinion being a solid reg and if the games are that much different?

Many thanks

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Hi

Played with you a number of times and your game seemed really solid.
    Dev disagrees with me here but i really don't think there is much of a diffence in the 2 levels.
    More decent regs at the 5's i guess but just use a bit of game selection and you'll be fine.
    First noticeable jump in standard for me is at the 10's.
  • edited December 2012
    Yeah agree with Jac, in terms of standard there's practically zero difference between £3s and £5s. There may be a tiny increase in regs but even that isn't huge cos most regs who are like 10 tabling will be playing various different levels anyway to get the tables going.

Depends how confident you are but I'd be comfortable playing £5s with £150. You could even give them a little go as low as £100 imo, if it goes well, great, if you start off bad, just go back to £3s build up again and give it another go in a few weeks.
  • edited December 2012
    Thank for taking the time to reply.
    I suppose it's just taking a shot and hoping to run good then. 
    I'm a bit of a bankroll nit so will have a dabble in the new year I think.

Many thanks

• edited December 2012
    Well you kinda can't just rely on running good, obviously you need to be a good (winning) player so I see it more like taking a shot and just hoping you don't runbad, because the way I see it, if I run good or even just run average, then I'll win, so just need to avoid starting off on a badrun.

P.S. I'm like the biggest BR nit ever lol
  • edited December 2012
    I agree i don't think there is any differance between 3s and 5s get your bankroll to £150 and play a few games good luck.
  • edited December 2012

hi YouMad,
    lovin the name btw.

yes the games are diferent imo...
    the £5's are harder without any doubt and imo it's the 1st real diference level.
    i've been and in many ways still am in the same situation as yourself,that being making a decent profit at the £3 level and still trying to get to grips with the £5's.
    i'm still struggling to make real progress with the £5's and i've been playing them on and off for the past 4/6 months i guess.
    i'm not sure why i'm not getting to grips with them as i have found the £3's relatively easy in comparison.
    i'm not giving up trying though and will probably continue playing them into the new year and beyond,as i'm sure that even more money can be made long term by playing them.especially taking into account the extra c4p from them.
    however there must surely come a time when i say 'enough is enough' and i'm sure i'll know if that day should ever come,and i'll simply carry on grinding at the £3 level only.
    playing 4/5 tables is ok but there should be no reason why you couldn't play at least 9 if your equipment can handle it,or even more.i've been playing 12/15+ for the past few months and this month with going for priority i've been attempting to play 18/20 which has got easier as the month's gone on.
    i'm not sure if it's possible to win playing that many,as i'm down this month money wise,it may well not be,but i don't give in after just 1 set back and i'm sure i'll be trying again next month.
    i also believe that if SKY do ever manage to give us 'auto-seat and re-sizable tables' then i think that even 30/40 tables would be a very real possibility for me.  lol
    as to number of buy-ins,that's down to you,but i'd say the more the better.
    imagine losing 10 buy-ins in a session £55 which is easily possible,how would that effect you and your b/roll?
    i would always want at least 100 buy-ins for a level myself if not 200 preferably.

hope that helps a bit mate and good luck with them.
    :)
    dev
  • edited December 2012
    EDIT: Sorry I forgot abuot Dev... I'm the 2nd biggest BR nit ever lol.
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: When to take a shot at 5.50 dyms:
    EDIT: Sorry I forgot abuot Dev... I'm the 2nd biggest BR nit ever lol.
    Posted by Lambert180
    ty Paul

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: When to take a shot at 5.50 dyms:
    hi YouMad, lovin the name btw. yes the games are diferent imo... the £5's are harder without any doubt and imo it's the 1st real diference level. i've been and in many ways still am in the same situation as yourself,that being making a decent profit at the £3 level and still trying to get to grips with the £5's. i'm still struggling to make real progress with the £5's and i've been playing them on and off for the past 4/6 months i guess. i'm not sure why i'm not getting to grips with them as i have found the £3's relatively easy in comparison. i'm not giving up trying though and will probably continue playing them into the new year and beyond,as i'm sure that even more money can be made long term by playing them.especially taking into account the extra c4p from them. however there must surely come a time when i say 'enough is enough' and i'm sure i'll know if that day should ever come,and i'll simply carry on grinding at the £3 level only. playing 4/5 tables is ok but there should be no reason why you couldn't play at least 9 if your equipment can handle it,or even more.i've been playing 12/15+ for the past few months and this month with going for priority i've been attempting to play 18/20 which has got easier as the month's gone on. i'm not sure if it's possible to win playing that many,as i'm down this month money wise,it may well not be,but i don't give in after just 1 set back and i'm sure i'll be trying again next month. i also believe that if SKY do ever manage to give us 'auto-seat and re-sizable tables' then i think that even 30/40 tables would be a very real possibility for me.  lol . as to number of buy-ins,that's down to you,but i'd say the more the better. imagine losing 10 buy-ins in a session £55 which is easily possible,how would that effect you and your b/roll? i would always want at least 100 buy-ins for a level myself if not 200 preferably. hope that helps a bit mate and good luck with them. :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Thanks for replying Dev.
    Well done on your priority grind btw, very impressive.
    I did take a shot at the 5's with around 70 buy ins and just found losing sessions were a lot harder to take so moved back to 3's. 
    When I get to around 150 buy ins for 5's i might give it another go. As I see it, I am happy playing 3's atm and am winning which makes it better.
    I have a pretty old laptop I play on which only fits 4 tables on, but can manage five with a little overlap. 40 tables!! That would be crazy!
    Cash for points I'm on around 2200 this month which I'm quite pleased with. Maybe investing in a desktop could see me make more. 

Many thanks

• edited December 2012
    thanks buddy,
    just finished and have just made priority 4 the 1st time...hooooray.  lol
    yes that's the problem moving up levels if u r not properly rolled 4 it,then it does hurt more when u lose,doesn't it.
    even 100 buy-ins is ok,just start playing 1 table mixed in with your £3's and go from there.
    but trust me the £5's are harder,so don't go mad.  lol
    i could only play around 6 tables on my old pc,so bought a new one in march this year.best thing i've ever bought i think.
    it's an i7 and cost £580 all inc. have had 24 tables going at one time.  aaaaagh.  lol

anyway gl buddy,
    best wishes
    dev