You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS 2 FT River Decision.w/Top Pair

edited January 2013 in The Poker Clinic
What do people think about checking the river vs betting and calling vs folding when he bets?

Villain was unfamiliar to me but seemed to play pretty well, TAG-ish,  can't remember him doing anything fishy or geting out of line particularly. I was fairly tired by this point though and wasn't paying much attention to hands i wasn't in.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TommyD Small blind   5000.00 5000.00 821760.14
darsum333 Big blind   10000.00 15000.00 173805.35
  Your hole cards
  • J

shawsok Fold        
offshoot Raise   20000.00 35000.00 307009.36
villain Call   20000.00 55000.00 301660.15
TommyD Fold        
darsum333 Fold        
Flop

offshoot Bet   27500.00 82500.00 279509.36
villain Call   27500.00 110000.00 274160.15
Turn

offshoot Bet   55000.00 165000.00 224509.36
villain Call   55000.00 220000.00 219160.15
River

offshoot Check        
villain All-in   219160.15 439160.15 0.00
offshoot ?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    checking the river is fine imo, he either has a set or nothing. JQ can be ruled out as he would fold to a c bet surely??

I cant see the point of villain shoving with A10,K10,Q10 as he would only get called by better.  So unless you have a good read and check back to induce a shove and call, then i would blocker bet to see if they come over the top.

thoughts?
  • edited December 2012
    I agree that maybe a blocker bet would give him more info but the pot is roughly the same size as his stack so how much would you make it?  I was thinking around 40,000 but is this to small?
    Tough one ,I still cant make my mind up what to do so it would prob end with a check fold.
  • edited December 2012
    cant u bet fold here by doing this ya left yaself a tricky decision bet fold 6k or summit imo ?
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: UKOPS 2 FT River Decision.w/Top Pair:
    cant u bet fold here by doing this ya left yaself a tricky decision bet fold 6k or summit imo ?
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Is that a typo seeing as the pot is 220k afer the turn.  You could bet 60k, but if they come over the top you have to fold i think as you have bet 3 streets and showed proper strength.  All be it, your river bet is just over quarter of the pot and if you were super strong would you not just empty the clip seeing as you had a pot sized bet behind?

My brain is on fire thinking, so id check fold.  I cant see them calling two streets with nothing and shoving the river.

Offshoot, please let us know the outcome as im super curious.
  • edited December 2012
    i was meant to say 60 k even 
  • edited December 2012
    I watched this hand live. Glad I'm not totally useless at this game as I'm thinking the same as Mewillows with regards to what the villain maybe holding.

I'd be check folding the river I think.

Don't like betting so small and folding the river.

• edited January 2013
    I watched this hand live. Glad I'm not totally useless at this game as I'm thinking the same as Mewillows with regards to what the villain maybe holding. I'd be check folding the river I think. Don't like betting so small and folding the river.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    So what happened?
  • edited January 2013
    That's not for me to say.

I'm sure offshoot will post when he wants to.
  • edited January 2013
    That's not for me to say. I'm sure offshoot will post when he wants to.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Yeah fair enough.
  • edited January 2013
    i've never been good in tourneys for bet sizing but i feel like smaller bets are in order you not think?

like 22k flop, 25-30k turn and 30-35kk as a b/f on river? otherwise when you're only 30bb deep to start with you get to situation like that on the river where all of a sudden ur going for thin value for your tourney life or c/folding tp....

like i say, seems like a whole different game bet sizing late in tourneys to get the right mix of value betting and value cutting! i'd be interested to know what you think as its def. somethin thats very different to cash play this sorta spot...
  • edited January 2013
    i've never been good in tourneys for bet sizing but i feel like smaller bets are in order you not think? like 22k flop, 25-30k turn and 30-35kk as a b/f on river? otherwise when you're only 30bb deep to start with you get to situation like that on the river where all of a sudden ur going for thin value for your tourney life or c/folding tp.... like i say, seems like a whole different game bet sizing late in tourneys to get the right mix of value betting and value cutting! i'd be interested to know what you think as its def. somethin thats very different to cash play this sorta spot...
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    I like this idea and might implement it in future. Obviouls the fear is that people will shove over smaller cbets if they think they hae FE leaving me with tyougher decisions. I think people are generally playing pretty tight at FTs though. Will need to test it. Always better to err on the side of caution even if it means losing some value.

For this specific hand i folded river so i don't know what he had. I was just struggling to put him on something that gets to the river and then shoves which i beat. Even though im unsure if he even plays sets this way.
  • edited January 2013
    checking the river is fine imo, he either has a set or nothing. JQ can be ruled out as he would fold to a c bet surely?? I cant see the point of villain shoving with A10,K10,Q10 as he would only get called by better.  So unless you have a good read and check back to induce a shove and call, then i would blocker bet to see if they come over the top. thoughts?
    Posted by mewillows
    THe reason i didnt put in a blocker bet on the end was because i felt like the downside of having 100k fewer chips vs 100k more wasnt really worth it.

They showed the hand on tv. He had 99.
  • edited January 2013

if u are tired u shud drink red bull ha ha

• edited January 2013
    In Response to Re: UKOPS 2 FT River Decision.w/Top Pair : THe reason i didnt put in a blocker bet on the end was because i felt like the downside of having 100k fewer chips vs 100k more wasnt really worth it. They showed the hand on tv. He had 99.
    Posted by offshoot
    Yeah I thought about that after I posted. You'll very rarely get called by worse and J10 has showdown value. Check hoping for a check back or you're done with the hand.